• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what DAC/AMP under $800

Bogas

Hello, I have a question. The vast majority of networked headphone players and DACs have a USB Type B input designed to connect to a PC. But I will be using these devices in a room with no PC option. As a music source I would have an external drive and occasionally a DAP for listening to headphones or an active speaker. Is it possible to connect a disc with music to the USB type B input?
Or you need to buy a DAC/AMP with a USB type A input or an SD card slot.

I have Senheiser HD600 headphones and I chose:

Aune X5s + Aune X7s

However, I would prefer a combo with a display and DO. Do you recommend any?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You'd probably be best served by something like the Topping M50 + E50. The M50 is able to read external drives/SD cards + a ton of other digital sources and then output it to a dac via usb.

OP
B

Bogas

Thanks, I'll consider Topping, but it's not a combo.
Likes : SMSL SMSL M500 MKIII Hi Res Audio DAC and ES9038PRO Headphone Amplifier
but it doesn't have USB/A, USB/C input

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you are confusing physical format VS communication protocol.
Type A, B, C, etc. are physical format.
USB 2.0, 3.0, etc. are communication protocol.
I would imagine 3.0 is backwards compatible to 2.0. So if you connect a 2.0 device to 3.0 and only need the speeds of 2.0 you are good.
As long as both devices can do the necessary functions/things, you are OK. With something like a DAC it's probably a non-issue.
For example it's possible for some USB-C to do just regular USB but others can also do additional things like powder delivery and video like display port & HDMI.

I have an ~5 year old Schitt DAC (Modi 2?) which I'm pretty sure only has USB-B (probably something like USB 2.0), unfortunately I don't have it in front of me. I've connected it to a laptop USB-B to USB-A cable and laptop & phone with a USB-B to USB-C cable and .

The bigger issues is what @Elitzur–Vaidman said about https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-dac-amp-under-800.38255/post-1347615
If the DAC has the function to read audio from SD cards. And I would imagine you would really want some kind of screen & well designed inter-face/GUI to act as a media player.

Is it possible to use the DAP as the player with the HDD connected to it? Then you wouldn't need the DAC to act as a media player.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bogas

Thank you for the explanation. I will specify my new requirements.

Listening to HD600 headphones - maybe planar later.

I don't have a PC connection in the bedroom, only an Ethernet cable.

There are active speakers next to the TV for occasional listening.

Sometimes even listening to Panasonic headphones with ANC, only if the woman is watching TV, i.e. Bluetooth or usb dongle.

Music source from ext. HDD, from SD card, from DAP Hiby R5II.

I also want to listen to internet radios.

The neutral studio sound probably won't be for me, rather warm, bassier.

I listen to Internet radio on my mobile in the perfect VRadio app, without Wifi dropouts, but when I installed it in the Hiby R5, the signal drops out.

I chose the Topping M50 + DX3 Pro. Is this a good combination for my needs? I also considered products from iFi including the iFi Zen stream.

It would be good if they had a display and a remote control. Are there other options under $800? Thank you for your time

Top Bottom