• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Country Is Your Gear From?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I look more at the country of manufacture. That's where the plant and workforce will be, environmental practices, quality control etc.

The HQ location is typically in a tax haven country... or the state/municipality that bids the highest. Means nothing to me as a consumer but can irritate me as a tax payer.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The older (now antique?) big stuff here (amps, preamp, speakers, power) is from the USA, the newer little stuff emerged mostly from the far east.

SPEKAER : JBL M2 -USA

Maybe not all of them...

1568666617500.png

The Equalizer

I believe my four Adcom amps were made in Japan, as was my circa 1988 JVC CD player. Proton 440 FM tuner was made in Taiwan. NHT speakers and Oppo BDP-93 made in China. Tisbury passive attenuator made in the UK. Music Hall turntable from the Czech Republic. Benchmark DAC1 (two) from the USA, and I recently bought a JDS Labs EL DAC and OL Switcher, also US-made. Grado headphones made in Brooklyn. Some say Brooklyn is, in fact, a foreign country.

On the recording end I have an assortment of microphone preamps, all of which I'm pretty sure were made in the USA, including a Benchmark MPS-420 that looks like it has been through the wars (I bought it used; all the headphone amp circuitry had been ripped out of it, but otherwise it functions) and a John Hardy that was made just north of Chicago, about 20 miles from here. Benchmark ADC1 made in the USA, no longer available new. (Benchmark seems to be getting out of the recording side of things. I don't think you can get a mic preamp from them anymore. Hifi playback must be more lucrative.) I think my Electro-Voice RE20 comes from the US. Oktava stereo pair with various capsules was made in Tula, Russia.

I was made in the US from German and Canadian parts.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There may or may not be some truth in that, how much I don't know.
What I do know is if I have a choice it will be for a domestic corp, whatever the amount is.
Better that money stays at home than to go somewhere else. If you don't look out for your nations welfare, who will?

But what if it goes to a tax paradise? Anyway, governments exist for the explicit purpose of looking out for your nations welfare.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But what if it goes to a tax paradise? Anyway, governments exist for the explicit purpose of looking out for your nations welfare.
They should but since tax loopholes are hugely exploited by those in power they never get closed.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They should but since tax loopholes are hugely exploited by those in power they never get closed.

Indeed. Which is why "better that money stays at home" doesn't really work.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Our flat is littered (3 audio systems, and old components in storage) by a wild mixture of brands from different countries, in alphabetical order:
  • Canada (AV preamps)
  • China (TV sat receiver)
  • Germany (speakers, DAC, sound processor, TV, EQ)
  • Finland (speakers)
  • Japan (CD and BD players, cassette deck, beamer, tuner, AV preamp, ...)
  • Jugoslavia (preamp - yes, it's that old)
  • Netherlands (TT pickup)
  • UK (TT, DAC)
  • USA (speakers, mixing console, power amp, speakers)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Indeed. Which is why "better that money stays at home" doesn't really work.
I find that there are always excuses not to invest domestically whenever possible. :(
Usually it actually boils down to going the cheapest way possible, damn the consequences.
Your money, your nation, your decision.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that there are always excuses not to invest domestically whenever possible. :(
Usually it actually boils down to going the cheapest way possible, damn the consequences.
Your money, your nation, your decision.

Buying locally makes sense. Buying something that nominally is made in the country you live (or for a company that happens to have a HQ in the country you live) is based on (false) nationalism that fails to understand global trade and interconnetedness - and above all a belief that it is a zero-sum game.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Buying something that nominally is made in the country you live (or for a company that happens to have a HQ in the country you live) is based on (false) nationalism that fails to understand global trade and interconnetedness - and above all a belief that it is a zero-sum game.
BS, and President Trump is working to fix some of that. ;)
Give your cash to China if it pleases you.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BS, and President Trump is working to fix some of that. ;)

Indeed, he is busy (and being pretty successful) at dismantling the global trade systems and bringing us back into the 1800's. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Indeed, he is busy (and being pretty successful) at dismantling the global trade systems
Thank God, it's about time we quit sending US wealth to every one else.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank God, it's about time we quit sending US wealth to every one else.

I suggest you read a basic textbook in economics. Then, as an useful exercise, try to live without anything that was produced outside the US, or using parts that were produced outside the US.

Anyway, I am glad you are supporting stopping the annoying US practice of forcing their trade arrangements, laws and conventions (such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) on the rest of the world.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I suggest you read a basic textbook in economics. Then, as an useful exercise, try to live without anything that was produced outside the US, or using parts that were produced outside the US.
That would have been easy in post WW II years, not today and that's the problem
But one which can be fixed.

Ah, but which one? :)
Which ever one you chose. Great leadership needs to be recognized.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would have been easy in post WW II years, not today and that's the problem
But one which can be fixed.

Indeed. I suggest building a wall. Around all of the US. You can probably get the Chinese to pay for it.

Great leadership needs to be recognized.

I do, when I see it.

raif71

Major Contributor
Receiver (Yamaha, Pioneer - Japan)
BD Player (Pioneer - Japan, Oppo - China)
Media Player (Mediacloud/Popcorn Hour - Malaysia, Dune - Taiwan)
Speakers (Mission, Mordaunt-Short -UK, PSB - Canada)
Display (LG - Korea, Optoma - Taiwan)
DAP (Sony - Japan, Fiio - China)
DAC/AMP (Fiio, Fx-Audio - China)
Headphones (Sony - Japan, Sennheiser - Germany)
IEM (Fiio - China)

Top Bottom