• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Country Is Your Gear From?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Columbia.

Perfect for playing this:

camtemp.jpg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USA (SPDIF Transport, Digital Coaxial Cable, DAC, Preamp, Tubes)
UK (Portable DAC/amp)
Singapore (IEM cables)
Indonesia (Speakers and Sub)
Germany (Analog interconnect from DAC to Preamp)
China (USB Transport, USB cables, Analog Interconnects from Preamp to Speakers)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably some vintage NOS tubes, plenty still available on Ebay and such.
There are tubes made in USA these days?

I thought they all came from Russia, Slovakia, and China.

Yes. I like the less linear sound of the NOS Tubes BTW. I'm using the RCA Red Base 6SN7 and CBS 6SN7 Brown Base
IMG_1609.JPG

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The big stuff was locally manufactured, but all antique now...

Martin Logan - USA
Krell monblocks and preamp - USA
Equitech - USA

Little, newer, stuff from wherever.

JBL - China
miniDSP - Hong Kong
DEQ2496 - ???

and so on...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A depressing total void of domestically manufactured items. :mad:
Speakers HSU USA/China
DAC Emotiva USA/China
AVP Marantz-Sound United USA/Vietnam
Amps Adcom USA/Japan
TV Sony Japan/Mexico

jeffbook

Speaker Drivers -Seas (Norway) Peerless (France?) Assembled DIY in US with US enclosure parts
Amplifier - UK (Nord), but using Dutch Hypex Ncore modules
EQ/Crossover/DAC - Hong Kong (miniDSP)
USB Bridge - China (Topping)
Laptop server with Foobar2000

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Speakers:
Japan, UK, Germany, US, Canada, Denmark
Amplifiers:
Japan, US, New Zealand, Australia
Digital sources
Japan
Preamplifiers:
Japan
Headphones:
Austria, Japan
AVRs:
various tin-pot third world Asian countries
Turntables:
Japan, US, France, UK, Germany
Cartridges:
Japan, US, etc

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several systems since I am crap at selling my used stuff.
Main system,
CD transport (Goldmund) Switzerland
Amp (Devialet) France
Amp (Goldmund) Switzerland (in reserve...)
Speakers (Goldmund) Switzerland
Speakers (Tune Audio) Greece
Turntable (Goldmund) Switzerland
Tape recorder (Revox) Switzerland
Streaming source (iMac) US/China very little used.

Bedroom
CD player (Resolution audio) US
Amp (Job) Switzerland
Speakers (Yamaha) Japan

Study
DAC ADI (Germany)
Amp (NAD) UK (I think)
Speakers (Proac) UK

I also have speakers by Harbeth (UK), Wharfedale (UK) and KEF (UK) which are in storage.
I have CD players and DACs by Meridian UK, Sony Japan, Audio Synthesis UK SMSL China.
I have digital recorders by Pioneer Japan, Stella Switzerland and Metric Halo UK.
I have a Nakamichi Japan cassette recorder which hasn't been used in years.
I have turntables by EMT Germany, B&O Denmark and Roksan UK just in case too.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD is based in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Just outside Toronto.
Has it always been?
I write this since I described KEF as British despite knowing it has been Chinese for years, though the design chief is English).
Jaguar/Land Rover is now Indian for example.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Has it always been?
I write this since I described KEF as British despite knowing it has been Chinese for years, though the design chief is English).
Jaguar/Land Rover is now Indian for example.

Started out in The UK, then the continent (Danes?), then Canada about 20 years ago. Heaven knows who owns it now.

Companies today are typically run by investment funds or swallowed up by electronics conglomerates. With designs and parts coming from around the world, I'm not sure if country of origin counts for anything any more.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Just looking at the gear I own:

Speakers (Dynaudio): Danish
Subwoofers (Martin Logan): American / Canadian
Turntable: (Michell Gyro SE): British
Tonearm (SME, Jelco): British, Japanese
SUT (Hashimoto, Lundahl): Japanese, Swedish
Cartridge (Audio Technica, Nagaoka): Japanese
Reel to Reel (Revox): Swiss
Electronics (Devialet): French

I guess the only significant "audio nations" I'm missing are Germany [forgot about my RME ADI-2 Pro in the office], Netherlands and maybe Korea (if Korea counts as a major audio nation)

How does your gear break down?

HTPC' components from the Republic of San Marino (my own built, 2015)
USB DAC from Andorra, it works great although I have been forced to entirely translate into Spanish (Castilian actually) my Linux Ubuntu so that they can comfortably exchanging each other via the USB 2.0 digital stream protocol ... Yeah the drivers sometime suck
Pre-Amp from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Never been so happy abt. an Hi-Fi electronic so far, the Grand Duchy' 1st secretary takes the effort to call me every Monday-morning at abt. 7am (on my cell phone though, so I should remind myself to keep it ON when I go on bed at 11pm on Sunday) checking whether I have had a nice weekend listening to the GD of L proudly made Pre-Amp ...
Amplifier from the Principality of Liechtenstein. Here I said to them : look guys, I am going to take with much pleasure of mine your proudly made amp but pls. do not attempt to call me on every Monday-morning as I have other calls to handle actually ... They said OK on that condition, so I have taken it.
Speakers. These are from the Principality of Monaco. Luckily, here they do not care too much abt. / bother you as an Hi-Fi customers of theirs unless you own a Principality's bank account with a min. of 3 millions EUR / USD (for whatever reason they apply an 1:1 exchange rate between these two leading currencies)
Cables. I have been evaluating different offers, the most appealing one was from the Nation of Brunei, however - at the end I have decided to retain a cable vendor closer to France. They are based on the island of Jersey (the Bailiwick of Jersey within the Channel Islands), so a Crown dependency, which means they are backed up by Her Majesty for any sort of malfunctioning. I believe it's must to have in today's Brexit process.

All that said, my preferred system is set up in my bedroom. It comes from the Vatican City State with a signed and duly stamped authenticity certificate of Holy Blessing from the Pope himself. The divine sound rendering one blessed man can get out of it is just ... Divine!

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
HTPC' components from the Republic of San Marino (my own built, 2015)
USB DAC from Andorra, it works great although I have been forced to entirely translate into Spanish (Castilian actually) my Linux Ubuntu so that they can comfortably exchanging each other via the USB 2.0 digital stream protocol ... Yeah the drivers sometime suck
Pre-Amp from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Never been so happy abt. an Hi-Fi electronic so far, the Grand Duchy' 1st secretary takes the effort to call me every Monday-morning at abt. 7am (on my cell phone though, so I should remind myself to keep it ON when I go on bed at 11pm on Sunday) checking whether I have had a nice weekend listening to the GD of L proudly made Pre-Amp ...
Amplifier from the Principality of Liechtenstein. Here I said to them : look guys, I am going to take with much pleasure of mine your proudly made amp but pls. do not attempt to call me on every Monday-morning as I have other calls to handle actually ... They said OK on that condition, so I have taken it.
Speakers. These are from the Principality of Monaco. Luckily, here they do not care too much abt. / bother you as an Hi-Fi customers of theirs unless you own a Principality's bank account with a min. of 3 millions EUR / USD (for whatever reason they apply an 1:1 exchange rate between these two leading currencies)
Cables. I have been evaluating different offers, the most appealing one was from the Nation of Brunei, however - at the end I have decided to retain a cable vendor closer to France. They are based on the island of Jersey (the Bailiwick of Jersey within the Channel Islands), so a Crown dependency, which means they are backed up by Her Majesty for any sort of malfunctioning. I believe it's must to have in today's Brexit process.

All that said, my preferred system is set up in my bedroom. It comes from the Vatican City State with a signed and duty stamped authenticity certificate of Holy Blessing from the Pope himself. The divine sound rendering one blessed man can get out of it is just ... Divine!

Nothing from Corsica, Malta, or Cyprus?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Nothing from Corsica, Malta, or Cyprus?

Amazon does not deliver to these islands ... I let you imagine the level of mafia that controls them actually ... Better is to keep any business with vendors from these locations as far as possible ...

Top Bottom