• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What combo: Interface (xlr and hi-z) DAC and Headphone Amp?

TapeDeck

I read every thread here last night, but nothing was specific enough to for sure be “the answer”… I may end up on a MOTU or Babyface from the sound of it, but would love to be exhaustive in my homework here.

Use case: Windows/PC (intel, laptop)
  • 1 and 2 microphones (never more than 2, so expansion is irrelevant)
  • hi z inputs for direct instrument (guitar or bass etc, using software for emulation and IRs)
  • listening to lossless audio via FUBAR or Plex (Sen 650's, for impedance purposes)
  • not opposed to using separate devices for these purposes if that’s prudent
  • I expect USB (2, 3, C) but don’t mind independent AC if something is “better.” Would like to avoid full rack mount gear. Willing to hear it if I should be connecting some other way.
  • whatever it is should sound better than an iPhone.
  • onboard DSP is not crucial… for recording, I already have a plug-in approach, and having something on a mobile setup that isn’t mirrored in my desktop setup is not a huge benefit (though not a reason to avoid a product.)
Price is not a primary concern—that is to say, I’m not buying a $4000 solution for this, but I’m not trying to keep costs down if a solution is audibly better in a meaningful way.

If you have the kindness to just blurt out your no brainer devices for this purpose, I would be happy to do my own reading on the subject material.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom