• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What class amp in an avr and can diy be a marked improvement?

datrumole

sorry for the lengthy title, this is really more a multi tiered question

the amp sections in an avr, they are based on a class-? design. a/b? h? a?....I assume a/b?

and generally are they shit? what do they even do within their model lines for the improved power? better transformer? more heat dissipation?

and when you do get more power from say a denon 2xxx to a 3xxx, is it literally the same amplifier board/design? meaning are they just selling you snake oil?

and finally. would a class d 3255/irs2093, or a nice L20.5/v10 be a marked improvement over an avr amp section? the thd I'm sure doesnt tell the whole story, but the avrs generally put out 100ish watts at 0.05-0.08 depending on the model, isn't that good?

thanks again for reading if you made it this far :)

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
"And when you do get more power from say a denon 2xxx to a 3xxx, is it literally the same amplifier board/design? meaning are they just selling you snake oil? "

I've had the same question, I know Pioneer would advertise "ICE" Amps on their Elite receivers. I'm gonna guess most are Class D. There has to be some difference but it's probably rarely advertised, because even $2-3K units still have "only" 100-150Watts.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I’m not sure such broad generalizations work for AVRs. I know AVR’s amps cover a range of classes, depending on model and manufacture. NAD for example uses Hypex.

The other factor is the amount of features AVRs have, and if you’re buying for amp alone, there are probably better solutions, but not if you want all the Dolby Vision/Atmos goodies.

Overall, the AVRs tested here have been mostly disappointing, but the amount of features you get for a mid-tier Denon or Yamaha are hard to beat if you need more than just a power amp or integrated receiver.

OP
D

datrumole

I’m not sure such broad generalizations work for AVRs. I know AVR’s amps cover a range of classes, depending on model and manufacture. NAD for example uses Hypex.

thats a fair point, i wonder if we could come up with a list of what AVR brands are using X design or even OEM to another existing module

The other factor is the amount of features AVRs have, and if you’re buying for amp alone, there are probably better solutions, but not if you want all the Dolby Vision/Atmos goodies.

well i think that is sort of my question, is the amp section piss poor?

Overall, the AVRs tested here have been mostly disappointing, but the amount of features you get for a mid-tier Denon or Yamaha are hard to beat if you need more than just a power amp or integrated receiver.

and i understand they have tested poorly due to poor performing DACs. has anyone tested if you used the 'multi channel input'? does that bypass the DAC, and in the end, do you get a fairly usable 5/7/9 channel amp for a reasonable price (pending the model has the inputs). DIY solutions/design are difficult to come by in the 100-120 range @ 0.05-0.07% thd

OP
D

datrumole

I've had the same question, I know Pioneer would advertise "ICE" Amps on their Elite receivers. I'm gonna guess most are Class D. There has to be some difference but it's probably rarely advertised, because even $2-3K units still have "only" 100-150Watts.

exactly, just the THDs are lower, is it literally the same module with some further heat dissipation or a more powerful transformer/powersupply? what minimal improvements between models exist in the amp section. i suppose the DACs likely changes between models (as it's been tested)

and if you BYO-DAC, do the amp modules suffice as a stand alone option with an AVR with multi-in

Top Bottom