• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What center would match up with Kanto YU Passive 5.25 L and R front speakers in 5.0 HT

theonline3333

I just bought a new 77" oled tv and needed speakers so I bought a 2.0 setup last week but now I want to upgrade to 5.0. I'm in a square room that is about 30 square feet and one side of the room is open floor plan to kitchen with my back to kitchen and tv on opposite wall. I am the only person listening and sit about 10 feet from tv. I am planning to get Denon s760h avr. This is for movies, tv, and gaming only, no music.

I have the Kanto YU passive 5.25" L and R front speakers. I plan to get 2 Neumi bs5 speakers for the surrounds. I am in an apartment so I am not planning to get a sub. I have heard the center is one of the most important speakers in a home theater setup. What center speaker would you recommend under $300 to match with the Kanto passive speakers? Or should I return them and get a matching set? I was thinking of doing Neumi bs5s for the fronts too and get a Neumi cs5 for the center but do I really want a $60 speaker as the center? I don't mind upgrading the L and R if it will make a big difference.

What would you suggest? Thanks!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If no sub, I would absolutely focus on bigger/better front L/R. At slightly higher price point would be LSR 308's or Kali LP-8v2. The way I describe the difference between them is "wide" vs. "deep." Its far more complicated than that, but if you're new to the hobby it's the fastest summary I can think of. The Kali's will sound "more accurate" and the JBL's (usually) "more fun."

The Kali's will sound more or less the same on their side, so you could also buy one as a center. You could with the 308 as well but you'd have slightly better luck sitting "below" the tweeter axis, meaning if you set it down horizontally such that the tweeter is on the left you'd want to sit slightly to the right.

If that stretches the budget too far, something like LSR306/LP-6 for L/R and LSR308/LP-8 for center would be advised but with no sub you really do want to go big on the L/C/R.

OP
T

theonline3333

If no sub, I would absolutely focus on bigger/better front L/R. At slightly higher price point would be LSR 308's or Kali LP-8v2. The way I describe the difference between them is "wide" vs. "deep." Its far more complicated than that, but if you're new to the hobby it's the fastest summary I can think of. The Kali's will sound "more accurate" and the JBL's (usually) "more fun."

The Kali's will sound more or less the same on their side, so you could also buy one as a center. You could with the 308 as well but you'd have slightly better luck sitting "below" the tweeter axis, meaning if you set it down horizontally such that the tweeter is on the left you'd want to sit slightly to the right.

If that stretches the budget too far, something like LSR306/LP-6 for L/R and LSR308/LP-8 for center would be advised but with no sub you really do want to go big on the L/C/R.
Thanks. That is helpful. Would going bigger on the fronts like that make enough bass to be heard or felt by neighbors at reasonable tv volume levels?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. That is helpful. Would going bigger on the fronts like that make enough bass to be heard or felt by neighbors at reasonable tv volume levels?

"Reasonable" means different things to different people, but those speakers aren't capable of putting out low frequencies at a level such that it would travel through most walls. That is, you'll hear it but not feel it which means your neighbors probably won't notice unless you turn it up to 11.

OP
T

theonline3333

"Reasonable" means different things to different people, but those speakers aren't capable of putting out low frequencies at a level such that it would travel through most walls. That is, you'll hear it but not feel it which means your neighbors probably won't notice unless you turn it up to 11.
That is great to know. I will check those out and some other bigger woofer speakers. Thanks.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is great to know. I will check those out and some other bigger woofer speakers. Thanks.

Some great starting points:

Top Bottom