• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What can we expect 2022 in terms of new AVR technology?

DrStranger

Does anyone know what the “next” gen AVR’s will be offering? I am really in need to of getting a new AVR. Really hard to get a AVR here without the HDMI issues. I heard from a dealer that, for example Denon will be coming with new AVR’s this year… but really what more can they come up with? 8K will probably not be something that anyone really will be focusing on, just look at the TV manufacturers. I wish I could get my hands on the RZ50 here (don’t care about the non-recommendation, anymore…I’m desperate…), but it only seems to be available in US, not here in Europe… And the Pioneer Elite is hard to get as well… And I think the Denons are overpriced, sorry to say, I know I will get some shit on me, but…well…

So... What can we expect after summer?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you change the title to reflect the AVR content? As it sits it reads like a what's coming in electronics in general title.

Katji

Major Contributor
The pricing/over-pricing/rip-off varies by country. I just saw it mentioned in another thread, and the topic has come up sometimes in [local] AV forum. (Especially re Denon and Marantz.) Versus buying online from a seller in EU / importing yourself and paying the shipping and import tax + VAT - in most cases the total is less than local retail via big corporate importer/distributors.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Some months ago there was a leak posted about Sound United planning to allow users to use both Audyssey and Dirac. Does anyone have any further information about that?

Are we headed to an era of open systems? Is that information even reliable?

Regarding Katji, I´m starting to think about sending Amir some McIntosh devices bought in Indonesia just because those are a lot cheaper on a store over there so it might be worth the testing. Plus, if I end up not liking them, I may even make money out of them... :D

On that side, I hope more companies stabilize the HDMI 2.1 shortages, as that seems to be an issue cursing the AVR market.

OP
D

DrStranger

I work in the IT-industry and I can tell you that both we and our competitors are suffering from shortages from our suppliers, it’s a race and fight.

Many of the non-critical technology, I believe, will have hard time to get their product releases to the mass and honestly, I am a bit worried that there “fun”-industry, like AVRs, will suffer so hard that they will move to lower quality components to be able to push out their products in order to sell and not go bankruptcy. Just look at the last years AVRs, we can’t even get the entire lineups from all the brands here in Europe, just a few.

I am hoping that they next wave of AVRs will at least give true 40/48 Gbps on all ports, since not many of the upcoming TVs will offer this on all ports, not LG, Panasonic at least.

And 8k 120hz…will it make it or are we standardizing on 4k…maybe reaching PC standard, 4k @ 144hz on TV & AVR, that would be a dream come true

FishInLA

One obvious new feature set that I will permit myself the optimism of believing is coming soon is a bump in Atmos channel count from the current 9.1.4 to 9.1.6. I think 9.1.6 is the obvious max speaker count for most small to medium sized home theatres, but there are not many processors that support that many outputs. Hoping to have more options with the next generation of AVRs from the mainstream.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One obvious new feature set that I will permit myself the optimism of believing is coming soon is a bump in Atmos channel count from the current 9.1.4 to 9.1.6. I think 9.1.6 is the obvious max speaker count for most small to medium sized home theatres, but there are not many processors that support that many outputs. Hoping to have more options with the next generation of AVRs from the mainstream.
16 speakers in small to medium sized home theaters? And I'm still wondering if I want to do 5.2.4 in my somewhat large room.

FishInLA

16 speakers in small to medium sized home theaters? And I'm still wondering if I want to do 5.2.4 in my somewhat large room.

I feel ya, but I think 9.1.6 is the sweet spot. The normal 7.1 plus Front Wides, and then all 3 pairs of Tops (Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear).

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that 20 channels for a nice medium/large home theater is about right (4 subs). 6 top/heights and FW.

Andysu

Major Contributor
15.12.6/8 is what presently my dolby atmos can do . but thinking of expanding that with below matrix surround to something like .
15.12.60.6/8 with 60 speakers for below surround , well there really isn't 60 more like 120 speakers for below surround .i want to recreate "the time flux delorean capacitor machine" with acoustical flame tracks burning , breathing with acoustical flame bass energy along the floor . the current matrix below surround needs to be taken the next level . so until dolby lazy labs gets serious with its atmos with atmos-mark-II as that isn't a 3d sound format more lazy 3d with marketing brainwashing for gulliable masses that keep calling their overheads "dolby atmos speakers" . its a speaker used for overhead surround that dates all way back to late 1960s when used with in some selected 70mm cinerama like odeon down town now home to the pigeons, used for 'star wars' in feb 1978 and overhead experimental also used at UCI cinemas tower park 1989 !
i have more overhead surround listening hours than most . i've had more matrix below surround listening hrs than any as no one is even tried my idea and its free simple idea .
yeah, keep praising dolby labs , ten lazy years of atmos and they couldn't be bothered to have it with discrete floor surround in 2012 . i mean actual floor mounted speakers in a wooden floor easy . thou takes a lot for the floor due to how we hear and the speakers being so close to seating would for a cinema take hundreds , hundreds for it to be anywhere near as half decent sounding . i done the listen calculations and all the speakers would have to play as discrete so no rushing it to mixing it ss it would take a year so to mix it correctly, not rushing to "cash cow branding it dolby atmos" . dolby atmos is meaningless to me . it doesn't mean those overhead surrounds are going to be decently mixed and sounding for whole movie running time with proper sound continuity and not just some random sound effects or music or dialog pan thrown up at the overheads .

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I finally managed to do a 5.2 with front wides rather than rear a preffered set up from Floyd Tooles book plus I hate the rear speakers. I don't use AVR processing and have it all through my UDIO-8 using JRSS on Jriver. On first listen it absolutely sounds amazing, the extra liveliness especially for live music adds a new element. But then when I stick to my stereo mains Horn/15 inch(without the side surrounds and centre) it also sounds amazing dry but like the sound is coming live from a hall(maybe a horn thing) so I can't decide which is better, I am confused. Worth the experiment though, learnt alot and can finally say I got surround.

FishInLA

I finally managed to do a 5.2 with front wides rather than rear a preffered set up from Floyd Tooles book plus I hate the rear speakers. I don't use AVR processing and have it all through my UDIO-8 using JRSS on Jriver. On first listen it absolutely sounds amazing, the extra liveliness especially for live music adds a new element. But then when I stick to my stereo mains Horn/15 inch(without the side surrounds and centre) it also sounds amazing dry but like the sound is coming live from a hall(maybe a horn thing) so I can't decide which is better, I am confused. Worth the experiment though, learnt alot and can finally say I got surround.

I rarely use any upmixers - when I'm listening to music mixed for 2-channel stereo I like to hear the original mix. I do like surround sound for music/movies, and am also enjoying this new era of music mixed in Atmos.

Top Bottom