• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No i do not have access to instruments to measure them

You can get decent LCR meters for less than $30.

i am not very interested in speaker cables

Just interested enough to make unsupported claims?

From an electrical point of view to have low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables is a good thing for power transfer i guess

Usually not an issue.

Actually i am about to try for curiosity some 3 wires cables for AC power

When you say "try", I assume that doesn't mean proper listening tests?

gino1961

You can get decent LCR meters for less than $30. Just interested enough to make unsupported claims?
What claims ? that low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables are not a good thing to have ? tell me. Better high resistance and high inductance ? educate me In the meantime i have found something
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/low-inductance-speaker-cables " ... Assuming the goal is for the cable to behave in as neutral a manner as possible one would want the impedance presented by that inductance to be a very small fraction of the impedance of the speaker at all relevant frequencies... "

Usually not an issue.
good to know. I can keep using my car audio cables then. Hoping that they are low in inductance ...

When you say "try", I assume that doesn't mean proper listening tests?
i have a very good ear ... i know very well when something sounds right or not. I do not need any instruments I taste the sound
Using decent quality plugs instead of the bar wires helps a lot imhe. The noise is reduced. The sound is more clear. Like cleaning the plugs and the binding posts.
Anyway ... i have reported the positions of very respected cables manufacturers. You have said nothing about that but you keep attacking me.
I copy what i read in the manufacturers sites ... i am here to understand if they are right or not in THEIR claims.
I stil wonder if they are right or wrong in stating the superiority of solid wires to transmit an audio signal.
What is your opinion ? are they saying silly things ? is it just marketing ?
Solid core hook-up wires are very popular in the high end circle ... there must be a reason i guess.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What claims ? that low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables are not a good thing to have?

They are a good thing - to a certain level. Most cables reach that level as long as they are decent gauge. Inductance has to be really high before it matters at speaker impedances and audio frequencies. Resistance also has to be pretty high to matter - as the voice coil resistance quickly masks all cable resistance. Resistance also doesn't cause any coloration unless your speakers have an very uneven impedance curve, and you won't hear an attenuation on the order of a few tenths of a dB.

i have a very good ear ...

Right. And I am a better than average driver. :)

i know very well when something sounds right or not. I do not need any instruments I taste the sound.

Oh, if I could only get $1 for every audiophile who claims that and then fails to hear a difference in a proper double-blind ABX test. When was the last time you did one?

Using decent quality plugs instead of the bar wires helps a lot imhe. The noise is reduced.

Could you please explain what physical effect would cause noise in a wire connection?

Anyway ... i have reported the positions of very respected cables manufacturers. You have said nothing about that but you keep attacking me.
I copy what i read in the manufacturers sites ... i am here to understand if they are right or not in THEIR claims.
I stil wonder if they are right or wrong in stating the superiority of solid wires to transmit an audio signal.
What is your opinion ? are they saying silly things ? is it just marketing ?
Solid core hook-up wires are very popular in the high end circle ... there must be a reason i guess.

Yes, there is a reason. Marketing. And audiophile magazines and sites - that get their revenue from advertising.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
therefore even hair like wires could be enough (maybe they would be too fragile i do not know)
Yes, the central conductors in RCA & XLR interconnects can be very thin. The limiting size factor is mechanical reliability.
However the shield/return in a RCA interconnect needs to be heavy for other noise & shielding reasons.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
What claims ? that low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables are not a good thing to have ? tell me.
Low end-to-end resistance of the speaker cable with respect to the attached loudspeaker's frequency impedance curve. But it quickly reaches the point of diminishing returns.
With the few loudspeakers that have a low impedance at high frequencies, total cable inductance may be of interest.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it’s fun to dismiss the completely subjective evaluation of cables; it’s happened to me, too. Let’s get back to directing new folks on the forum as to why their subjective perceptions may not correlate to objective differences.

I mean i wonder if this is all a marketing hype or what :rolleyes:

Yes. Yes, it is. A manufacturer would much rather have you pay $400 or $4000 for a cable instead of $40. Flowery language and great photography has proven very effective at separating audiophiles from their money without demonstrable, objective improvements.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder why isn't there a charter on the master thread that simply states ASR's spirit and beliefs

That would save us so many repetitive posts and all that has to be done is indicating a shortcut to it.

You think that everybody knows, but no, even members that are here since >2 years haven't realised yet.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it’s fun to dismiss the completely subjective evaluation of cables; it’s happened to me, too. Let’s get back to directing new folks on the forum as to why their subjective perceptions may not correlate to objective differences.

Yes. Yes, it is. A manufacturer would much rather have you pay $400 or $4000 for a cable instead of $40. Flowery language and great photography has proven very effective at separating audiophiles from their money without demonstrable, objective improvements.

It's like going to an expensive restaurant and note that you can't understand their menu though they simply serve steak & French fries.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder why isn't there a charter on the master thread that simply states ASR's spirit and beliefs

That would save us so many repetitive posts and all that has to be done is indicating a shortcut to it.

Assuming anyone would read it.

You think that everybody knows, but no, even members that are here since >2 years haven't realised yet.

Perhaps those members simply don't agree. I think some (not pointing out anyone in particular) just make controversial (for ASR) posts to stir the pot. Either way, ain't no sticky gonna help. But hey, maybe couldn't hurt?

Beave

Major Contributor
I tried a high end digital coax cable from Fraudioquest. The ones sounded a lot better - full and rich - but the zeros had little presence, like something was missing or just not there.

gino1961

Thanks to All for the very helpful advice. I think i have now a more clear understanding of the cables issue. That is a non issue in the end. ;)
Better to invest in better equipment. Kind regards, gino :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried a high end digital coax cable from Fraudioquest. The ones sounded a lot better - full and rich - but the zeros had little presence, like something was missing or just not there.

But it is the occasional twos that really makes the music come alive. Even my wife noticed it from the kitchen annex.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But it is the occasional twos that really makes the music come alive. Even my wife noticed it from the kitchen annex.
You need to bi-wire the DAC with balanced digital cables or the 0s and 1s sound different.

Beave

Major Contributor
So like one cable for the zeros and a separate cable for the ones? That way they wouldn't be able to inferfere with each other.

Beave

Major Contributor

My cable can't handle any twos. They literally leap right out of the cable when they're being transmitted!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My cable can't handle any twos. They literally leap right out of the cable when they're being transmitted!

That is why you need as strong metal mesh shielding.

mansr

Major Contributor
So like one cable for the zeros and a separate cable for the ones? That way they wouldn't be able to inferfere with each other.
Depends on the cable type. With good coax, it's enough to ensure the zeros are aligned with the shield so the ones can pass through them along the centre conductor.

Overseas

Major Contributor
All above mentioned deficiencies regarding 1&0s are due to the fact that those cables were not - I repeat 'were NOT'- manufactured in a full moon period. 2s are a different matter, an esoteric one.

Top Bottom