• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost all Canare, connecting my own with neutrik xlrs lately. I may have one Mogami and a hosa back there.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rokker79

A quote " a cable can't make a bad system good , but a bad cable in a good system.... " well you figure out the rest . :p

For every cable bought i auditioned at least 5 , cable's can't add they only take . I'm just searching for the least taker at lowest price.. as with all my gear, as probably many of this forum members

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A quote " a cable can't make a bad system good , but a bad cable in a good system.... " well you figure out the rest . :p

For every cable bought i auditioned at least 5 , cable's can't add they only take . I'm just searching for the least taker at lowest price.. as with all my gear, as probably many of this forum members
This is an easy problem to solve, this simple device will route out bad cables. You can even jiggle them to look for intermittent problems

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...KHig9lLlCnJfOcuGbgxoCCSQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice piece, have something similar in my recording studio..
Mr funny guy ;)
I wasn’t joking. I guess you could also use a multimeter on the ohm setting to make sure the resistance is low but hard to test for intermittency with handheld probes.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly black.
But also transparent or blue...
I find black or grey work well for balanced analog signals while the blue ones are best for digital.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find black or grey work well for balanced analog signals while the blue ones are best for digital.

While I can confirm black ones indeed work fine for balanced analog signals I never tried the blue ones on digital signals.
As digital signals are very sensitive I tried my best to avoid them running through external cables.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I can confirm black ones indeed work fine for balanced analog signals I never tried the blue ones on digital signals.
As digital signals are very sensitive I tried my best to avoid them running through external cables.
Some of the blue ones have the right characteristic impedance 110 Ohms for AES and 75 Ohms for SPDIF.

these are what I use , they are expensive at about $1/ft but worth it for peace of mind.

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=66

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
cable's can't add they only take
Yep, sure thing.:)
I'm just searching for the least taker at lowest price..
Doesn't seem like it, regarding the audiophile cable manufacturers you mentioned.
For every cable bought i auditioned at least 5 [...]...as probably many of this forum members
That's probably where you don't get the point. ASR members don't audition 5 cables before buying one. In fact, they don't audition cable at all. ;)
Since this is a science-based forum, we just have to choose ones measuring good enough (literally MANY cables). Then, the cable may be picked based on build quality (and "design"?), flexibility, shielding if needed etc.
As far as I'm concerned, I see no cable better built, nor better measuring, than ones from Canare, Mogami or Belden.

Needless to say, and before we go there: your audition of such products worth nothing since:
- I'm pretty sure your audition was sighted. So you were only listening your expectations of each cables. To validate such listening, tests have to be done blind. And magically, differences disappear... because they didn't exist in the first place.
- There's no way you hear any real difference between, say, two properly designed cables of any kind. If there is any (it may), then that mean one cable is dramatically broken (literally or by design).

Welcome aboard!;):cool:

Last edited:

Rokker79

Well since you only listen to white noise and singular sinus waves at specific khz(science) i can certainly understand that any lamp cord will do :)
I like music ;) and i like Hans beekhuyzen said " i can hear difference, if you don't good for you "
In the matter of " audiophile cable brands" it's mostly bulk from audiophonics in France ,Neotech is a good quality low cost cable, supra have their factory 5 minutes from were i live . With that said, i borrow from friends and retailer to compare and if i hear difference well that's my ears and I'm happy ;)
Science and perception in audio are 2 sides of the same coin i choose to look at both!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well since you only listen to white noise and singular sinus waves at specific khz(science) i can certainly understand that any lamp cord will do :)
I like music ;) and i like Hans beekhuyzen said " i can hear difference, if you don't good for you "
In the matter of " audiophile cable brands" it's mostly bulk from audiophonics in France ,Neotech is a good quality low cost cable, supra have their factory 5 minutes from were i live . With that said, i borrow from friends and retailer to compare and if i hear difference well that's my ears and I'm happy ;)
Science and perception in audio are 2 sides of the same coin i choose to look at both!
I thought a bit like that until I retired 10 years ago and had more time.
I have always preferred listening to music than testing equipment and was too busy to test properly. I tended to take advice and read reviews and do tests which I thought were fine at the time but were quick and perfunctory.
Suddenly left with lots of free time I decided to do some level matched blind testing, originally on speaker cables, then interconnects and DACs with my daughter changing things over so I didn't know what I was listening to.
I found the only cables which sounded different were those with in line filters (MIT and Goldmund) otherwise the differences I was sure were there were not. Level matched and not knowing what I was listening to expelled the myths.
In fact, it isn't that surprising since there is no technical characteristic of a properly specified cable which could alter anything at audio frequencies and currents. What was a surprise at the time was hearing no difference between high end DACs and the DAC section of a quality ADC/DAC recorder. Again, though, a quick look at the specification shows any differences are below the level I can hear.

I really hate dicking about with the kit rather than listening to music so these discoveries were a breath of fresh air.
I hear differences between my 4 record players and speaker positions in the room but I don't bother expecting to hear difference with anything else any more.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Quoting Hans Beekhuyzen shows that you don't really look at (or understand) the science, but sure, believe what you choose to believe. ARS is about science...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well since you only listen to white noise and singular sinus waves at specific khz(science) i can certainly understand that any lamp cord will do
I listen to music as any member here. By the way, that's not how cables are measured...
Neotech is a good quality low cost cable
Neotech is nothing close to low cost. You need to adjust perspectives here...;)
What @Julf just said. Hans is not a reference for anybody here. Quite the opposite, in fact.
With that said, i borrow from friends and retailer to compare and if i hear difference well that's my ears and I'm happy ;)
That is where you're wrong. Believing to hear a difference ≠ hearing a difference. Again, do some blind test, come back tell what you really heard. I suggest you check many threads talking about psychoacoustics, expectation bias, placebo etc.:)

Science never change..
Some years ago the earth was flat ..
You mean hundreds of years ago?... Such claims won't give you any credit. I suggest you read and learn before doing such nonsense analogies.;):cool:

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom