• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

rgpit

Forum Donor
All interconnects and speaker cables made with Canare wire. Connectors are all Neutrik except for the locking banana plugs at the speaker inputs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

kevinh

If you don't like your power cord you can get a hospital grade shielded power cord that handles 15 amps for <$15

formdissolve

Forum Donor
It does: Ka-ching.

- Rich
Totally agree! DH Labs stuff is pretty cheap however.. and it's silver-coated (as far as I know..) so not fully silver. I use their speaker cable because a 10 foot cable has 21.5pf per foot which is super low.

Objectivist01

Totally agree! DH Labs stuff is pretty cheap however.. and it's silver-coated (as far as I know..) so not fully silver. I use their speaker cable because a 10 foot cable has 21.5pf per foot which is super low.
Is there a measurable improvement ?

SPOautos

Well a poorly designed cable without proper shielding will emit rf noise. THis can intefere with other electronics that is why Hospital; grade cables exist.

Where do you buy the hospital cables for <15 at? I need a couple power cables and that's cheap enough that I might as well get one.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I recently bought a Pig Hog headphone extension to replace a Hosa headphone extension.

The Hosa had an intermittent female TRS. Contacts don't grip the male, can't open it up to put some fix on it.

Can't open the Pig Hog either, but don't need to.

I don't expect to buy a Hosa anything again, if I can avoid it, if they can't even get that right.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I use Canare 4S11 which is about 40pf per foot which seems fine for 10 foot run.

- Rich

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any reasonably priced "pretty" speaker cables? I am using Amazon Basics 16 awg and would like to get something that looks a little nicer for the more visible cables. Unfortunately, it seems that all the cables with attractive sleeves are the super-expensive "audiophile" cables. Any ideas where I can get something like this?

KabelDirect isn’t pretty but you can get 14awg Made in Germany cables for Amazon Basics pricing almost.

kevinh

Yeah they shouldn't be expensive a lower gauge cable widl handle more current. Again any decent cable like Canare from ghent audio or mogami will preform as well as any expensive cable a shielded power cord with the gauge for the current of the equioment being driven will be identical to any expensive boutique power cord.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I've also had good luck with this seller: Nakamichi / Canare Star Quad 4S11 Gold Banana Plugs Speaker Cable. Great quality, well-built, good parts and price.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I used to use Pyle speaker wire in my speaker systems. That wire turned green faster than cheese in my fridge.
I use MaxBrite nowadays on most of my speakers. I don't have any on my rear speakers because that shit is not cheap.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've also had good luck with this seller: Nakamichi / Canare Star Quad 4S11 Gold Banana Plugs Speaker Cable. Great quality, well-built, good parts and price.

Nakamichi does not make banana plugs. Those are some cheap Chinese plugs with the Nakamichi name printed on them. What's left of Nakamichi (someone probably bought the name) only makes soundbars.

Martin

mansr

Major Contributor
Nakamichi does not make banana plugs. Those are some cheap Chinese plugs with the Nakamichi name printed on them. What's left of Nakamichi (someone probably bought the name) only makes soundbars.
I bought some cheap RCA plugs from Farnell a while ago and was surprised to find a Nakamichi logo on them. They're actually not that bad (gold plated, good fit, metal housing), but I'm under no illusion that they have anything to do with the real Nakamichi brand.

Top Bottom