• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

daniboun

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't have a single cable that's $10 or more.
I think I may have explored the outer reaches with some cable which I think cost about $20. o_O

Seriously folks, electrical engineers figured out most of the cable thing way back at the turn of the century (the 1900 century). Please don't waste your money on snake oil and make snake oil marketeers richer than they deserve to be. If cable engineering weren't a well understood science, most everything we have now which remotely relies on electricity wouldn't be possible. Audio electrons aren't any more 'special' than the electrons which control your lawn sprinklers.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I may have explored the outer reaches with some cable which I think cost about $20. o_O

Seriously folks, electrical engineers figured out most of the cable thing way back at the turn of the century (the 1900 century). Please don't waste your money on snake oil and make snake oil marketeers richer than they deserve to be. If cable engineering weren't a well understood science, most everything we have now which remotely relies on electricity wouldn't be possible. Audio electrons aren't any more 'special' than the electrons which control your lawn sprinklers.
To me, if a cable *alters* sound it is a horrible thing. And when it comes to cables, there is no possible "enhancing" over a plain copper connect. Any change people hear is sound alteration - a bad thing IMO, but to each their own as they say.
The only possible enhancement is cosmetic, which is why I pick good looking -but eminently neutral- cables. :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Seriously folks, electrical engineers figured out most of the cable thing way back at the turn of the century (the 1900 century).

Precisely. I've said it before: Go to CERN and tell the poor scientist that they should use all of these wonderful innovations we see in audio cables if they seriously want to get good readings from the LHC. Then watch them literally rolling on the floor laughing.

mugbot

Forum Donor
I use self made copper stranded speaker cables with a decent (but not ridiculous) gauge to them, terminated in gold plated banana plugs.
For headphones I have a whole set of hart audio cables so I can easily move my headphones from single ended to balanced sources, it's much easier to disconnect their mini-xlr than the headphone cables and I'd prefer the wear to be on the mini-xlr junction rather than the port on the device or headphones.
For USB typically the cable that came with the device, though I do use a 180 degree usb c male to male adaptor to make connecting my qudelix 5k or e1da 9038s to my phone easier.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To me, if a cable *alters* sound it is a horrible thing. And when it comes to cables, there is no possible "enhancing" over a plain copper connect. Any change people hear is sound alteration - a bad thing IMO, but to each their own as they say.
The only possible enhancement is cosmetic, which is why I pick good looking -but eminently neutral- cables. :)
Right on, I use neutral copper wires without silver-plating. Consumers don't gain anything from silver in audio cables. Unless the whole wiring inside the equipment is pure silver (then you might get a benefit from connecting with cables that are made of pure silver).

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Unless the whole wiring inside the equipment is pure silver (then you might get a benefit from connecting with cables that are made of pure silver).

Nope. The resistance of the internal wiring would just go from inconsequential to pointlessly low.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nope. The resistance of the internal wiring would just go from inconsequential to pointlessly low.
All right, I have certainly never bothered to buy or listen to such equipment with wires made of pure silver...

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Silver has about 6% better conductivity than copper, but oxidizes and deteriorates faster and easier. There is a reason why connectors are gold or rhodium plated - you most certainly do not want a silver connector. The inferior conductivity of gold/rhodium would invite the question as to what is more important... the cable? the shielding? the connector material?
As to the % in audible improvement between those considerations... I openly admit I'll never buy another cable, I have enough. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As to the % in audible improvement between those considerations... I openly admit I'll never buy another cable, I have enough.
I do look forward to a day when I'll be able to replace all the RCA cables with XLR's simply for the superior connectors but I'm not buying new amps just for that. I just bought the most expensive cable of my life, a $99 40 ft optical HDMI cable on-sale from Monoprice, cause I want to move my music server computer further away from at AV system.. All the rest were sub $50

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Silver doesn't oxidise much at all, it readily forms sulphides though which form as a dark tarnish.
Tell that to my GF. I have to shine her silver jewelry with a Dremel tool almost every week... :-D

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Tell that to my GF. I have to fix her silver jewelry with a Dremer tool almost every week... :-D
Don't be so cheap and buy her gold. :p

Top Bottom