• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

The Dragon

Forum Donor
I wonder if you hear any difference between the 2803 and 2497? I Iown and like the 2497. Now I need another 2 foot rca cable. Thinking about 2497 with KLEI plugs or 2803 with Neutrik Profi plugs (2803+ KLEI plugs are out of my budget).
I can hear a difference between the two cables in my system. I'm not sure how much of it is the KLEI RCAs, but the combination of 2803 and KLEI is stellar. Made a believer out of me. Fair warning though. The 2803 is an extremely difficult cable to terminate correctly. With some research, you might be able to source some out of Japan with molded on connectors manufactured directly by Mogami. The bulk 2803 cable is extremely difficult to source. The 2497 is an excellent cable and should be outstanding with the KLEI connectors unless you are looking for that last little bit - so to speak.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interconnects:
RCA - gold plated with the word FUJI on them. They were just sitting unused for many years in the wardrobe. Look good as new.

Speaker cable:
Some random 25-30 year old copper HiFi speaker wire.
Very thin wires, probably 20-22 awg.
Grey outer sheath. Instead of black/red it simply has a black line on one side to indicate positive/negative.
I have some more of the same wire but instead of a black line it has a light-blue line, most likely to differentiate between left:right speaker channels.
Recently used some. Exposed ends had oxidation/maybe mould. After cutting then stripping cable, exposed beautiful healthy copper.

Power cable:
Black C13 IEC cable.
Most products which require it include this cable in the box.

Last edited:

Martini

Forum Donor

His better roll role :)
1618928008674.png

Last edited:

deniall83

Interconnects: Blue Jeans LC-1, Worlds Best Cables (Mogami 2964)

Speaker cable: Blue Jeans Belden 5000UE

Coax cable: Blue Jeans Optical

USB cable: N/A

Power cable: Generic

I also have an old Kimber Tonik which I seldom use because it's unshielded and basically useless.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
and tight fitting banana plugs.
That's made a huge difference for me. I was running bare wire into the plastic connectors on the back of my amp and they just wouldn't stay tight. I'm actively tri-amped so the tone and imaging would shift around leaving me chasing the dragon, trying to figure out what went wrong. $50 spent on 6 pairs of gold plated banana jacks that fit very snugly into the amp has put an end to all that.

BTW, I use some multi strand 8 conductor bundle wire that's sold for PA system use. With active crossover it keeps things neat. There's a Speakon connector going into the back of the speaker itself. That's been a rock solid reliable connection so far. There are six XLR to RCA connector cables coming out of the back of the Behringer crossover going into the Cambridge Audio 6 channel receiver. I think I got those from Sweetwater. No name optical digital cable coming out of the TV. Another no name coax cable coming out of the CD player.

Last edited:

0hm357aW

I usually go with best I can afford but stay away from ones that just seem like high priced "snake oil" products.

I recently just bought my first XLR DAC and XLR Amp. I used an affordable Monoprice well reviewed RCA cable and the sound is awesome... but in an effort to maximize audio quality and for personal satisfaction I'm making some XLR cables that from what I have researched are a good performance design.

Cable is Mogami W2534 with Neutrik RX series adjustable right angle XLR cables. (NC3RX)

I will use silver solder for the connections.

I've watched some YouTube videos on how to make these and I think I have the process down just have to do it.

Cable cut to length for my S.M.S.L. M200 DAC to Premium Audio Mini Gan 5 amp.

Photo of where I'm at with this.

XLRCustom-MogamiW2534W-Neutrik-NC3RX.JPG

welsh

The best ones are made of wood from sunken Spanish galleons, but only if the connectors are plated with gold from the same ship. If you can't afford that, you are obviously deaf.
My cable lifters are made from pieces of the True Cross... or maybe Noah’s Ark, my dealer wasn’t sure.

welsh

I usually go with best I can afford but stay away from ones that just seem like high priced "snake oil" products.

I recently just bought my first XLR DAC and XLR Amp. I used an affordable Monoprice well reviewed RCA cable and the sound is awesome... but in an effort to maximize audio quality and for personal satisfaction I'm making some XLR cables that from what I have researched are a good performance design.

Cable is Mogami W2534 with Neutrik RX series adjustable right angle XLR cables. (NC3RX)

I will use silver solder for the connections.

I've watched some YouTube videos on how to make these and I think I have the process down just have to do it.

Cable cut to length for my S.M.S.L. M200 DAC to Premium Audio Mini Gan 5 amp.

Photo of where I'm at with this.

View attachment 125342

welsh

There is only one Holy Grail.
Despite my objectivist leanings in the ‘hi fi’ sphere, I’d like you all to know that, when connecting my Fender Stratocaster into an old ‘tweed’ amplifier, different cables DO make a big difference.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Despite my objectivist leanings in the ‘hi fi’ sphere, I’d like you all to know that, when connecting my Fender Stratocaster into an old ‘tweed’ amplifier, different cables DO make a big difference.
That’s actually plausible, like with cables used with MM cartridges, and for the same reasons.

yodog

I use Wireworld and Analysis Plus cables. In my honest opinion, these are the best over any price.

For good cables for the money, SKW cables cannot be beat (for the money).

For internal hook up cabling I personally believe NeoTech is the best, regardless of price.

You might want to take a look this Cable:
Gotham AG - Gotham Cables - 10701 GAC-3 - powered by cloudrexx

Imo one of the best Cables for XLR. They have one which is even better but its a bit cumbersome. Imo for Hifi the GAC-3 is better suited.
Gotham AG - Gotham Cables - 11301 - powered by cloudrexx

Their GAC-1 Ultrapro is a very good RCA Cable.

Edit: Silver solder, despite being used routinely by Cable Manufacturers is a questionable decision. Silver makes solder joints more brittle and less mechanical robust. So it's the stupiest idea you can use on Plugs. Classic 60/40 or better 63/37 is best for Connectors. High Silver makes Soldering flow much better when using lead-free solder, so if you need to use lead free Silver is ok.

Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom