• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

David Harper

Should have made my question clearer. It's a Yammy Aventage AVR which I use as a pre. The sub out is only one output connection but my B&W sealed sub has left and right channel inputs. Not sure why. The Yammy has two sub outs (for two subwoofers) so I could connect one to each of the subwoofers left and right input channels but that doesn't make any sense. I've got the volume control on the sub set at four o'clock so gain isn't a problem. The pre-outs on the Yammy are feeding an external power amp (Schiit Vidar). The AVR has pretty good bass management with adjustable
crossover and extension settings. The sub amp is 400watts. The Yammy didn't have the balls to drive my magnepan speakers the protection circuitry kept tripping it off. That's why the Vidar amp.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Should have made my question clearer. It's a Yammy Aventage AVR which I use as a pre. The sub out is only one output connection but my B&W sealed sub has left and right channel inputs. Not sure why. The Yammy has two sub outs (for two subwoofers) so I could connect one to each of the subwoofers left and right input channels but that doesn't make any sense. I've got the volume control on the sub set at four o'clock so gain isn't a problem. The pre-outs on the Yammy are feeding an external power amp (Schiit Vidar). The AVR has pretty good bass management with adjustable
crossover and extension settings. The sub amp is 400watts. The Yammy didn't have the balls to drive my magnepan speakers the protection circuitry kept tripping it off. That's why the Vidar amp.

Before LFE was implemented and bass management was commonplace people would add a subwoofer with a Y cable from their preamp outputs (or use a second pair of preamp outputs back when that was a thing; that is what I did in my first system or three back in the 70's/80's). Preamps did not usually include crossovers of any kind. The sub would sum the L/R inputs to create a mono results and low-pass filter the signal from the preamp.

These days it's irrelevant for most folk, but my guess is that it is retained for legacy and for those with two-channel systems without bass management or crossover so they can add a sub. The sub provides the summing circuit and crossover, though running the mains full-range is sub-optimal.

HTH - Don

Last edited:

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Not sure which Bowers sub you have, but I would assume the inputs get summed to form a single LFE signal. If one of them has no signal, it will just use the one signal present. You shouldn't need to use a Y connector or similar setup to create a second signal, that would essentially do the same thing. You can try it, but I doubt you'll gain any volume.

Your AVR's bass management should have a high pass filter option somewhere for your mains after you set the crossover frequency. I agree with the previous poster, you will struggle getting it to sound right at different volumes if you feed full range to your mains.

David Harper

yes I've got the high pass in the AVR set at 80 hz. to the mains. My logic was that then the sub amp would take over the heavy lifting from the Vidar.
The maggies are 4 ohms and real power hungry and they draw a lot of current. That's why I chose the Vidar it's supposed to be good with low impedance/high current speaker loads but if I really crank the volume it does get hot. The impedance curve on the maggies dips down to 2.6 ohms at certain frequencies. But it's ok with me I don't listen at extreme high volume and maggies aren't designed for that anyway.

Rantenti

Interconnects: RCA Cables - Mix of Mogami 2497 and Mogami 2803 terminated with KLEI RCA connectors
XLR Cables - Mogami 2549 Neglex terminated with Neutrik Silver plated plugs.

Speaker cable: Cardas Clear Sky

Coax cable: Belden 1505A

USB cable: Pangea

Power cable: Shunyata Anaconda Zitron (main amp), Cardas Twinlink for sources.

I wonder if you hear any difference between the 2803 and 2497? I Iown and like the 2497. Now I need another 2 foot rca cable. Thinking about 2497 with KLEI plugs or 2803 with Neutrik Profi plugs (2803+ KLEI plugs are out of my budget).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if you hear any difference between the 2803 and 2497?

Would you expect there to be an audible difference? If so, why?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
rca/xlr, amazon ones.
speaker cbales: VAN DAMME UP-LCOFC HI-FI SPEAKER CABLE, good cables from Belgium, , cheap price, from ebay.
rest, the ones I get with in the boxes

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Whatever all these are...

0416210811_HDR_copy_918x918.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
I use whatever came with the equipment also. I do require decent gold-flashed connectors that mate well with their sockets and reasonably good overall build quality, and not excessive shunt capacitance. Most standard fare meets those requirements for me.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My cables are made of silver. Either from the mountains of Madrid, or from the coast of Barcelona.

The cable lifters are made from old cut up Spanish boots of Spanish leather.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My cables are made of silver. Either from the mountains of Madrid, or from the coast of Barcelona.

heres-to-fine-corinthian-leather.jpg

Adis

Hmmm...interesting!
And how's the sound when you listen to foreign music? Edgy? Does it even work?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm...interesting!
And how's the sound when you listen to foreign music? Edgy? Does it even work?

It makes all the Bob Dylan tunes sound better, esp. the one with the lyrics I quoted.

Top Bottom