• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When picking cable what properties of the cable should one look at for good shielding? Many show a rating of capacitance in pF/ft. Is this relevant? If so is a higher or lower number better?

I've always gone for the best shield coverage and quality and looked for a low capacitance (measure it yourself) all in a flexible, soft and decent cable. Unless your runs are very long or your sources are low level, high impedance (phono etc) you don't have to worry too much at all.

No need to obsess on pF per foot at audio frequencies and short runs using line level sources IMO. Lower pF is better, but not if it comes at the expense of less/poor shielding.

Lots of cable these days is crap. Heaps of CCA (copper clad aluminium) masquerading as OFC, lots of tinfoil instead of 100% copper shielding and dubious quality dielectrics in coax.

Maybe an proper RF guru (Don) can weigh in and advise.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When picking cable what properties of the cable should one look at for good shielding? Many show a rating of capacitance in pF/ft. Is this relevant? Bluejeanscable website states a higher pF/ft number equates to higher frequency roll off. So a lower number is better?
I'd echo what Restorer John said. Good shielding isn't a bad thing, and it isn't necessary to get exotic cable or expensive cable to end up with good shielding. The Monoprice I use has 97% coverage copper braided shielding, I think it has a foil layer in there too. I wish it were a bit more supple, but for home use it is fine.

www.markertek.com , Blue jeans cables and similar places can provide good quality, pro level cables without breaking the bank. Interconnects at audio frequencies just aren't the problem they are made out to be. Speaker cables need to be large enough.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Speaker Wires: Original Monster Cable, so old it's turned green. Interconnects: Some stuff my son left around the house when he went off to college 20 years ago. Due to their age these wires obviously have magical properties.

That green could be caused by plankton reproduction. o_O

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is proof that electrons flow better one way than the other way.
20181125_180057[1].jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Got drunk one night and these were delivered two weeks later by a lady in a bikini.

So you got a free stripper with your set of cables? Must have been a decent profit margin in them.

Rod

Ya I guess I checked special delivery. There 16 gauge wire though, so thats nice.

Rod

One thing about those one way cables, they grip tight. Hard to get them back out of the RCA socket. For that there A+.

Rod

Yes, I am careful. I wiggle them out slowly so I dont break something.

JP

Major Contributor

Rod

And you took a picture of the cables and not the woman in the bikini? What kind of prevert are you?
Wife answered the door. Had a lot of explaining to do and I dont think a camera would of helped.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cables do make a difference. Some "high-end" cables have these "network boxes" that could be doing some weird stuff. In the audiophile industry, the more important question is not which cables to buy, but which cables to not buy.

product_getimage.php

Wombat

Master Contributor
I live next to a student dormitory, imagine the abundance of wifi, bluetooth, 3G, 4G and 5G signals i'm surrounded with. Better safe than sorry, hence shielded cables.

Seriously, if the airborne wireless signals were strong enough to affect the power cord operation then I would wear a tin-foil beanie and jock-strap until I found other accommodation.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Seriously, if the airborne wireless signals were strong enough to affect the power cord operation then I would wear a tin-foil beanie and jock-strap until I found other accommodation.
Your comments does not warrant anymore replies.

Top Bottom