• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purely subjective... a bit “cleaner” and slightly more detail, especially female voices.

Remember, opinions are like anal sphincters; everybody has one and everyone else’s stink.

Indeed. And that is why personal, unsubstantiated and unverified opinions are pretty useless from an audio science point of view.

arboleda

Forum Donor
Lol. About to buy some cheap interconnects. I went through the same progression a lot of you. looked at the $5 cables. Though I’d spend a little more for them to look pretty. Then thought if I wanted pretty then I should read about pretty cheap cables. but then that invites debating a bunch of different cables and (worse) reading big debates (that do entertain a tad). Damn it I’m giving myself $25 and will buy the prettiest cables I see and I’m setting a 5 minute timer to browse. Wish me luck.

th0m

I buy Supra cables almost exclusively. They are semi-expensive but of high quality and made here in Sweden which is the main reason I like to support that particular company.

Neutrik connectors (XLR: NC3 MXX/FXX, Cinch: NYS 373) with some decent mic cables (e.g. Cordial CMK 222) in between.
Either off the shelf or custom-made by my trusted Pro-Audio store.

Cordial CPDS cables for S/PDIF coax and "the sssnake" cables for toslink (both from Thomann).

Sommer Cable SC-Meridian SP240 (2x4mm², 10m) between power amp and speakers.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I do use Cordial cables myself too, for mic cables, but also for headphones re-cabling as well. I also like REAN cables too, same applies to their plugs, although I do use Neutrik and Amphenol too.

I got recently couple of RCA-RCA and XLR-TRS Cordial CFU cables from Thomann and when I unscrewed the plugs to check for quality I was pleased to find 2 signal cooper wires instead of one and an outer shield around them was very well done and consistent.

I do use Cordial cables myself too, for mic cables, but also for headphones re-cabling as well. I also like REAN cables too, same applies to their plugs, although I do use Neutrik and Amphenol too.

I got recently couple of RCA-RCA and XLR-TRS Cordial CFU cables from Thomann and when I unscrewed the plugs to check for quality I was pleased to find 2 signal cooper wires instead of one and an outer shield around them was very well done and consistent.

Afaik, Rean is Neutriks branding for the stuff they make in China.
I think I have some XLR-->TRS cables with Amphenol connectors lying around somewhere...
I prefer Neutrik for XLR & T(R)S though, mostly because of their convenient colour coding rings.

Thomann is usually a safe bet. If you need custom lengths or special connector combinations, Musik-Produktiv can help you out (clean work & fair prices, at least for german labour costs).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volvo is Chinese.

Chinese-owned, but still headquartered in Sweden. It is like saying Jaguar and Land Rover are Indian (or that Chrysler used to be German but is now Italian).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, I know, although I am not from Sweden ... I try to use the Supra' cables - as well as driving Volvo' cars, as much as I can ... :)

Have you read or seen "A Man Called Ove"? :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of their cars are now built in China as well. I did not know until I looked.

Volvo? Yes, some of them used to be built in the Netherlands. While the main production is still in Sweden, some models are made in Belgium, Malaysia, US and China. On the other hand, the new Land Rover Defender is built in Slovakia.

It is all a global market these days.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
supra cables - they may be very reliable as far as EMF/EMI is concerned, but they aren't immune to bullshit

"LoRad is an abbreviation of Low Radiation. LoRad is a patented product range, using unique design features. While these products help shield you and your family from electric and magnetic interference fields, a today recognised reason for serious illness, your multimedia products is given much better working conditions since RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) is suppressed by efficient shields and also a chance to survive an over-voltage peak from e.g. lightning."

Promoting that kind of health benefit for "you and your family" about power cables is at least at the level of EtherRegen marketing...

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine is a hodgepodge of things that worked at the time and I've never felt a need to change:

Audioquest Ruby
XLO Signature
Blue Jeans Cable (Belden)
Symo LS5-SX

pma

Major Contributor
What cables do you use in your systems?
Interconnects:
Speaker cable:
Coax cable:
USB cable:
Power cable:

Hi, no "audiophile grade", just to minimize induced EMI

Interconnects: good coax cables like RG-59 and RG-58 for SE signals, shielded twisted pair for balanced (Tasker TSK 1034)
Speaker cable: 2 x 4mm2 Litz
Coax cable: already answered
USB cable: do not care
Power cable: 230V shielded 3 wire (L+N+PE+shield)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed! It's a delightful story!

When I was a kid back in Finland, most families were either Volvo families or Saab families. We were a Volvo family. :)

Top Bottom