• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

D

Deleted member 65

He's more than a bit confusing?
So what's with that cable, does he sell them, for how much?
And why would you want one, or are you just joking too.
I'm so confused. LOL

He's been banned from just about every forum there is since long. He used to give away or have a lottery giving away his audio tweaks and cables.

Below are his Coconut "Alien Rain" tweaks, user who got them apparently appreciated them. I'd like to have them as well ... ;-)

1547497969847.png

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah yes, Patrick82. I remember his AKG K1000 and "ERS-paper" shenanigans all the way back from before he was banned.

If only I was smart enough to sell a piece of Play-Doh as "audio tuning". But I digress.

Thankfully I never believed any of this "high-end cable" crap. Probably because I read the Wirebusters article long before I got into this hobby.

All my cables are either stock ones that came in product boxes (USB and RCA cables) or the cheapest ones I could find locally. For speaker wire I bought 14AWG "FosPower" from Amazon... probably the most expensive cables I have.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was using a FosPower 3.5mm extender for awhile to enable the AUX higher power mode on my LG v10. I kept losing one channel after a couple months of use, and they kept sending me replacements.

EdAInWestOC

Interconnects: Kimber Hero w/WBT connectors, Audioquest Leopard for Phono cable, Audioquest King Cobra

Speaker cable: Kimber 8TC

Coax cable: None

USB cable: Pangea Silver

Power cable: Pangea AC 14SE II, AC 14 XL II, Pangea AC 9, AC 9 SE II, Stock Power cables

Veri

Master Contributor
Interconnects: Kimber Hero w/WBT connectors, Audioquest Leopard for Phono cable, Audioquest King Cobra

Speaker cable: Kimber 8TC

Coax cable: None

USB cable: Pangea Silver

Power cable: Pangea AC 14SE II, AC 14 XL II, Pangea AC 9, AC 9 SE II, Stock Power cables
So much Pangea :oops:o_O as a matter of fact I think @amirm had measuring one such power cable in his todo list :) ..

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He's been banned from just about every forum there is since long. He used to give away or have a lottery giving away his audio tweaks and cables.

Below are his Coconut "Alien Rain" tweaks, user who got them apparently appreciated them. I'd like to have them as well ... ;-)

View attachment 20338
We had a guy called Peter Belt here about 20, maybe more, years ago who sold stick on bits of foil and had people stand one foot of their kit on a bit of folded paper and so forth. He sold a cream which was supposed to be smeared on stuff and other things I forget. Must look him up!
http://www.pwbelectronics.co.uk/
Looks like the stuff is still on sale even though he died a couple of years ago.

Deacon Blues

We had a guy called Peter Belt here about 20, maybe more, years ago who sold stick on bits of foil and had people stand one foot of their kit on a bit of folded paper and so forth. He sold a cream which was supposed to be smeared on stuff and other things I forget. Must look him up!
http://www.pwbelectronics.co.uk/
Looks like the stuff is still on sale even though he died a couple of years ago.
The stuff he suggests! lol Putting paper under your equipment? Tying curtains back? (ok - this might actually do something), but freezing CD's? Come on.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Read the whole thing. So sorry... Really dislike articles that use science as a manipulative tool for FUD through misapplication and misdirection (to put it kindly). Loved the comment about signal jumping from conductor to conductor in stranded wire when you bend it and implication it is due to skin effect. Also, "solder is a poor conductor" -- there goes the entire electronics industry. Better open your components and weld all those little parts inside.

So many audiophiles would be devastated if they actually knew what a typical recording chain looks like...

Dogen

Forum Donor
I use quite a bit of Monster interconnects that I find in thrift stores. They are built well enough and are dirt cheap. All I really require is flexible cable and well made connectors. I have paid a bit more at times for the fabric covered cables only because I like the look of them but found no difference in their sound. I dont like the cheap Amazon interconnects because they are stiff and the connectors dont grip very well.

The only time I have had a problem with a cord was when I was using a super cheap 3.5 mm to RCA unit when using Spotify via tablet to my main rig. I kept hearing some fuzz and when I moved the cable around it increased/decreased depending on position. So I bought a $12 TruGreen cable and the problem went away. Crap is crap and jewelry is jewelry and I err on the side of "better than crap, but far less than jewelry".

As for speaker wire I use 16awg copper from Amazon in 100ft rolls. My main rig has 6 ft runs so I dont need anything more. Nothing fancy.

I do however think that for visual reasons somebody with a uber expensive system might like some of the boutique cables. Some of the cables look nice even though they dont sound any different.

There, first post......flame on!

Yes, my local thrift store has had Monster cable (and more expensive) for a dollar a piece. It is well built and good looking, but it’s nice to see the free market setting their natural value.

Deacon Blues

Yes, my local thrift store has had Monster cable (and more expensive) for a dollar a piece. It is well built and good looking, but it’s nice to see the free market setting their natural value.
Musicians aren't quite as bad as audiophiles, but still, there are countless arguments about chips in TS808 overdrive pedals. When they are all similar in tone, more times than not, the exact same. We just perceive it as different, because after all, we spent the cash to make it so. So it should be after that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sounds quite a bit like our old friend Frank, (aka fas42)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Gordon Holt's reaction is a bit long but well worth a read.
I guess the below paragraph could be seen as a conclusion:
"Psychological tests in other areas of human perception—vision, touch, taste, smell—have proven how unreliable they are, and how much they can be influenced by expectation or suggestion. There's no reason to believe aural perception is the sole exception to this. I am sure this is why so many audiophiles still hear brashness and stridency in Japanese audio products five years after nearly all of them ceased to sound that way.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/laffaire-belt-page-3#MjMGwSsZE4Izlv4W.99 "

Meanwhile, here's another interesting reading: https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/why-power-cables-make-a-difference/ from a company that sells power cables at...3000 USD each: https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Sigma-NR-Noise-Reducing-Power-Cable.

P.S.: I honestly believe that a very good and powerful power cable is needed for e.g. 2x1KW power amplifiers, where fuses sockets must be really well-done and, why not, gold-plated for the perfect electrical contact, where an addition of 0.01 mOhms from a cheap fuse or a bad socket could actually have some degree of influence on the output sound (over 500 W RMS of power), given the high-amperage drawn from the power socket. But recommending expensive power cords or fuses or fuses-sockets for headphones amplifiers or for regular 2x100W domestic power amps makes no sense to me.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Theo

Yes, I have one of their cables to test one these days...
Be sure to cut any electric power source in a radius of at least 1000' before you do, if you want to avoid false readings due to Mr. Belt "adverse energy which affects our sense of hearing and suppresses our ability to correctly perceive complex musical information"...:eek:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Well, I know it's bit off-topic, but I'm sure Amir is aware of Earth capacitance of almost 1F and the surrounding EMI field generated, so...I'm pretty sure he has a decently engineered Faraday cage to do these measurements for us. Or maybe not? :facepalm:

Top Bottom