• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would like to see Wharfedale Evo (some 3 ways... - 4.2?) - tested, wonder if its upgrade to Diamond series. Also some listening comparison to revel's would be nice :)
You are in luck. Review coming up shortly. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, this knock off Genelec from Behringer could be a good one to review.
B2031A - $200 each typical price
OK, I ordered it but now I feel quite broke!!!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
This is above the budget. But I could be bribed to consider it:

Here you go...I was overdue anyway.
Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 1.44.18 AM.png

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Re: Dayton MK602X

Here is my video review version of the new Dayton bookshelf speaker which I think some of you budget-minded folks may be interested in.

It's not terrible but their marketing department is the one I'm really not happy with in this particular review. If I'm being honest, I expected more from Dayton in this regard. And I think a few bucks in extra parts could have made this the best budget speaker around. Instead, it ranks pretty low on my list as it sits.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Re: Dayton MK602X

Here is my video review version of the new Dayton bookshelf speaker which I think some of you budget-minded folks may be interested in.

It's not terrible but their marketing department is the one I'm really not happy with in this particular review. If I'm being honest, I expected more from Dayton in this regard. And I think a few bucks in extra parts could have made this the best budget speaker around. Instead, it ranks pretty low on my list as it sits.
Seems like something to gut and fix, as a project. I bet that midwoofer probably could handle a lower port tuning too, if one were so inclined - it seems to be this one: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-GF180-4-6-1-2-Glass-Fiber-Cone-Woofer-4-Ohm-295-417

What gets even more interesting... This is the tweeter, I'm pretty sure: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-TD25F-4-1-Soft-Dome-Tweeter-4-Ohm-275-022
It doesn't show the peaking on the datasheet that shows up in this speaker. Wonder what's going on there?

SMc

How about NHT Super Ones? I have selfish reasons for it... :) They're quite cheap....
The SuperZeros didn't fare too well here! I assume SuperOnes like mine (2.1) have more bass and dynamic range. I use them with the computer and for surround.

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, I ordered it but now I feel quite broke!!!

Not only passive but also smaller, the passive equivalent was B2031P (both passives are discontinued).

I agree that the B2031A should be definetely measured here as other measurements have shown very good perfomance for a very small price and big size (8,75" woofer), it seems copying Genelec worked quite well.

I have the B2031A speakers and ordered a pair of Genelec 8030c speakers on the strength of the review here, thinking it would be an upgrade. I returned the 8030cs. I prefer the B2031a and I'd wager something like 7 out of 10 people would prefer the B2031A if directly compared to the 8030c. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but I'd say for most the strengths of the B2031A outweigh those of the 8030c and at 1/3rd of the cost.

It's a bold statement, I know, but I'm quite confident a strong majority of people would prefer the B2031a over the 8030c, if judging by ear alone. I didn't consider them an upgrade (at least in what I was looking for) compared to the B2031a.

I'd like to make a thread comparing (subjectively) the two speakers, but now see Amir is going to measure them soon. Would you guys prefer the thread before or after Amir measures them?

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you guys prefer the thread before or after Amir measures them?
Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing, I prefer subjective reviews before measurements to be not biased by them.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
they have 3 very diferent lines:

line.jpg
3031A and 3030A are discontinued.

Behringer K5, K6 and K8 is the newer line and inspired by KRK monitors and there are also some very cheap and small "monitors" for desktop use.

Top Bottom