• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MaxRockbin

Looks like a 1970's design. Dual, widely spaced 3" cone tweeters? Pretty much guaranteed to have terrible comb filtering. IMO, not worth 1/10 the asking price.
I never looked on AliExpress for speakers before. Check out these B&W knock offs.
I think it's safe to say appearances on that site should not be your guide!

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Came across these on Taobao while searching for some other stuff there.

View attachment 54175

They are the HiVi H6, 6.5", 3-way powered speakers that also have build-in BlueTooth and Wifi receiver with DSP. Not exactly cheap at RMB5680 (~US$810 MSRP), though I see it listed at RMB4299 (US$613) for the pair.

What caught my attention really was the specified 38hz-20khz (+/-3dB Free Space) and measurement charts for FR and SPL.
Very, very curious if these are actually real measurements. If the directivity is decent, these could be great value speakers.

View attachment 54176

the page you have quote i can not read. i see only the diagram. they have a good waterfall with less rise time. Can you look if they have test a kali lp6 , a JBL 104 bt. if no bt the older JBL 104 is good too. intresting if see difftrences in their waterfall.

ima.robot

I know they are not budget speakers, but I would be really curious to see measurements for some of the recent Sonus Faber Speaker, such as the Olympica series

RndJeff

Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 vs Polk Reserve R100
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 vs. Polk Reserve R200

I see so many bookshelf speaker lines offered with either 5 or 6.5 inches woofer. If you're gonna use them with a subwoofer, is there any advantages on getting the 6.5 inches? Or is it even better then to get the 5 inches, which could possibly be more suited to the sounds about the 80 Hz?

Transmaniacon

I see so many bookshelf speaker lines offered with either 5 or 6.5 inches woofer. If you're gonna use them with a subwoofer, is there any advantages on getting the 6.5 inches? Or is it even better then to get the 5 inches, which could possibly be more suited to the sounds about the 80 Hz?

The bigger woofer can play louder/deeper given the same power, which means less distortion. This advantage is masked by the 80Hz crossover with a sub somewhat, but the benefits remain.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It really depends on how the speaker is tuned, but in my experience it is easier to get a smooth 80 Hz or even 60 Hz blend with most 6.5 in speakers compared to smaller ones.

RndJeff

The bigger woofer can play louder/deeper given the same power, which means less distortion. This advantage is masked by the 80Hz crossover with a sub somewhat, but the benefits remain.
That's a compelling argument to go with the bigger woofer. I don't play really loud (currently have powered Kanto iPair 25 watts RMS and it's enough volume for me,) but less distorsion at lower volume is definitively a plus for me! (Summing up the various feedbacks, 6.5 woofer over the 5 is generally a good idea if you have room/money for it, regardless of using a subwoofer or not.)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
My preference is for speakers which are well known. If there is a lot of hype about it, so much the better. Examples are B&W, KEF, Polk, and Goldenear.

nick-v

I'm dying to see some higher-end in-walls reviewed and measured.

The new JBL Synthesis SCL-6
Wisdom Audio Insight P2i

These are at a similar price point. Would love to see that.

simple6

Forum Donor
I just bought a pair of Focal Dome Flax as surrounds. In Europe they cost around 300 euros each. Would be great to see how they look on the NFS :) I would send one over for review but I'm based in Central Europe...

MNMLSM

I bought the HS8 to test.
Will you still release a review about the HS8?
I think it would be quite interesting because the HS8 are probably one of the most used active monitors in cheaper studios. Most users seem to be quite happy with them. I heard that their sound characteristics are quite different compared to the HS5.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
New budget Polks from the XT series I believe it is called. Their lowest price line would be interesting to see.

Putter

Forum Donor
That's a compelling argument to go with the bigger woofer. I don't play really loud (currently have powered Kanto iPair 25 watts RMS and it's enough volume for me,) but less distorsion at lower volume is definitively a plus for me! (Summing up the various feedbacks, 6.5 woofer over the 5 is generally a good idea if you have room/money for it, regardless of using a subwoofer or not.)
I would argue that the distortion advantage is minimal at low volumes while the smaller woofer will tend to beam less and therefore have better dispersion. Here are samples from Amir's tests of models from the same line.

Distortion @ 80hz

KEF Q100 5.25 inch woofer
1.3% @ 95db

Q350 6.5 inch woofer
> 5% @95 db
4.3% @85db

Ascend Sierra Luna 4.5 inch woofer
> 5% @95 db
3.0% @85db

Ascend Sierra Luna Duo Center 2x 4.5 inch woofers (~ equivalent to 5.5 inch woofer)
> 5% @95 db
2.4% @85db

The KEF with the smaller woofer actually performs better than the 6.5 inch while the Ascend's show fairly modest differences between the single and double woofers at least with respect to the 85 db distortion spec's. The results are inconclusive, but it was fun researching the data.:cool:

Top Bottom