• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't know how many times this has been suggested but here's one more vote for Behringer Truth B2031A . (full disclosure I'm listening to them as I'm typing this, got a pair for 279€ almost two years ago)

mmi

Luker here. I've been investigating these relatively unknown kits that are local (Australia) to me with top quality design, components and measurements:
https://www.wagneronline.com.au/hdsk-speaker-kits-complete/speaker-kits/audio-speakers-pa/pl/

Specifically this MTM is of interest, check the PDFs in the downloads tab further down the page for freq response chart:
https://www.wagneronline.com.au/5-m...audio-speakers-pa/hdsk250-bv-74877/993926/pd/

From what I have gathered the kits were designed by Russell Storey of http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au in the 2000's in collaboration with a retailer here called Wes (later merged into Wagner). The dome tweeter kits have had a round of updates at some point, more info on the V1 versions can be found here: http://d-s-t.com.au. Of note the 810921 HDS Tweeter, now sold as Scanspeak D2608/913000, was created in collaboration with Peerless specifically for these kits, and seems to be very well liked in speakers by other manufacturers and the DIY community.

The Stones Sounds Studio Artisan speakers shown on his website seem to be upgrades to the kits, but are hand built and measured to match, with upgraded crossovers / components. They are much more expensive, starting at $6.5K AUD from an email i just received. However the kits seem like incredible value and from bits of info seem to measure very well, at least in his very bespoke setup: http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au.../Loudspeaker_System_&_Driver_Measurements.htm

Piranesi

View attachment 107174
I would be very interested in seeing some of the HIVI (Swan) speakers measured. In particular the D300, D1080, M5A, H6 and H8. There are some excellent value propositions within their offering, in theory.

Seconded regarding the Swans/HiVi speakers.

They've just released the D100 in China- approx 1000 yuan or 150 USD for a planar isodynamic paired with a 4" woofer from their well regarded M*N line. Would be fantastic value if they measure flat.

It would also be great if Amir could measure some of their slightly higher end stuff, like the Zeos meme M3A.
I personally own an old pair of DIY Swan M1s and have been very happy with them.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe we could crowd fund to get into the "budget" range for Amir to purchase? I'd chip in.
Our company used to be a dealer for Danley so I may be able to get it at dealer cost. Even then it would still be over $1,000 for the smaller one.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see the HTD Level Three Bookshelf speakers reviewed.
I wonder how their AMT tweeter performs. I own an older-gen L3 (and matching center and subwoofer), but it uses only a soft dome tweeter (and oddly, when I emailed them for specs, they acknowledged they made it, but they never kept the documents). And just like @AverageJoeAudiophile 's measurements of the L2, it has a large low-Q bump centered around 1kHz.
Here is his off-axis measurements of the L2:
AzyjakY.jpg

Here is my in-room multi-seat average of the old L3 bookshelf in purple (in gold showing the results of Audyssey XT32, my AVR is too old for the app):
7A2FD6B4-D86C-49DA-93FF-0854BC25CF3B.jpeg

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The site has CLF files, can anyone with a Windows computer see what data is included?
Full radiation data for all models except studio series.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
bump for Sonos:1. Pretty popular budget speaker that gives people a gateway drug to step up from their bluetooth or smart speakers to better quality sound with simple setup. Would like to know how it measures and how good their room correction system is.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
bump for Sonos:1. Pretty popular budget speaker that gives people a gateway drug to step up from their bluetooth or smart speakers to better quality sound with simple setup. Would like to know how it measures and how good their room correction system is.
No analog connection. The Five does though.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No analog connection. The Five does though.

Can Amir measure it like a speaker without the analog connection, maybe using Roon?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah. I must have forgotten.

DeepShadow

Аз personally have a wish to see review on Dynaudio BM5 mkIII one day...if i have a luck.

Top Bottom