• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Fluance Signature Bookshelf
$200usd. Currently on sale for $170usd on amazon.

Funny enough, I've caught the manufacturer fudging frequency response for this speaker over time.
This was the frequency response from November 2017:
before.jpg
Here's the current frequency response from their site:
HFS.jpg

Last edited:

Hactar

Forum Donor
I'm keen to see results of the Revel M8 SP2. Especially given that Amir has already purchased a pair.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Haint

Very interesting. So you're unwilling to believe the results of a published loudspeaker comparison because the reviewer did not eq his room, you think it's likely that he has high frequency hearing loss by virtue of him being employed as a reviewer, and the fact that he didn't do a blinded comparison.

Hey you seem like an intelligent person, so let me just take a guess at what's going on - you're under the belief that all B&W speakers are overly bright and poorly designed so there's no way the 705s2 could have sounded better than a Revel speaker. Hence the list of "more likely" reasons, like the reviewer has a hearing loss.

No, I think B&W make a few models that are quite good, but their pricing can be debatable. I'm only speaking to the measurements posted. As far as non-linear response goes, this specific model is not particularly offensive. His opinion may be the same in a properly switched and level matched blind test, but this sighted non-controlled comparison doesn't hold up to even the mildest scientific scrutiny.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fluance Signature Bookshelf
$200usd. Currently on sale for $170usd on amazon.

Funny enough, I've caught the manufacturer fudging frequency response for this speaker over time.
This was the frequency response from November 2017:
Here's the current frequency response from their site:
Or maybe they just some godly improvements.

But yeah, their active speakers state it is a “simulated“ response, whatever that means.

I own their XLBP bipole surrounds ($200 MSRP, found them for $100 on Walmart), and I found their graphs to be very accurate, including the huge null at 80Hz, thus I cross them at 100Hz or higher. I find it odd that the original graphs for the Signature you showed also has this dip, I wonder what causes it (port issue?) and why they can’t seem to fix it.

Kustomize

I just want to see ANY Jeff Bagby designed speaker tested! Kairos / Continuum 2 / Madalion all available on meniscus!

Usernome

Would love to see the Infinity P362 measured. The spins from Harman look good and it can be had used for only a couple hundred dollars. Great value for a 3-way floor stander.

DrDardis

For my own interest, B&W 606. Disclaimer: I currently own some but am very underwhelmed, I will move on soon. I regret the purchase, I am Interested to see (scientifically) if the Emporer is wearing clothes, I bet he ain't ;).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For my own interest, B&W 606. Disclaimer: I currently own some but am very underwhelmed, I will move on soon. I regret the purchase, I am Interested to see (scientifically) if the Emporer is wearing clothes, I bet he ain't ;).
Here are some NRC measurements of it
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
I had them for a year, they have the typical current B&W voicing of the recessed presence region and a bit increased highs, I found them sounding better than they measure, quite nice drivers with relatively low distortions, but also typical low price range housing with side wall vibrations.

pos411

For my futur choice, i would read asr's test of theses floorspeakers : Canton Reference 3K, Elac FS 409, Magnat Signature 909 & 1109 :) Only German speakers ;)

bigguynhti

PSB Imagine Minis are available for $296/pair all-in from Stevenson's in Toronto via Ebay. Mine reside on PSB dedicated stands and are powered by an Outlaw RR2160 (and a brace of Velodyne Minivees crossed @ 100 Hz via the receiver's onboard crossover). Sound is (in my view) excellent, but would love Emirm's take on them; Stereophile's review from August 2nd, 2012 is quite laudatory, but a contemporary spinorama test would be much appreciated. Paul Barton's design work is. I believe, too often underacknowledged.

Last edited:

DrDardis

For my futur choice, i would read asr's test of theses floorspeakers : Canton Reference 3K, Elac FS 409, Magnat Signature 909 & 1109 :) Only German speakers ;)
Interestingly Magnat heavily spruik the fact they use Klippel in their design process. I owned a pair of Magnat bookshelves a few years ago, they were nice.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PSB Imagine Minis are available for $296/pair all-in from Stevenson's in Toronto via Ebay. Mine reside on PSB dedicated stands and are powered by an Outlaw RR2160 (and a brace of Velodyne Minivees crossed @ 100 Hz via the receiver's onboard crossover). Sound is (in my view) excellent, but would love Emirm's take on them; Stereophile's review from August 2nd, 2012 is quite laudatory, but a contemporary spinorama test would be much appreciated. Paul Barton's design work is. I believe, too often underacknowledged.
We have this for now: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

It may have been mentioned, but I'd love to see more expensive speakers tested.

At the moment, the upper echelon of the preference consists of higher priced speakers, but that is through self-selection.

Let's see how the Wilsons, B&Ws, Magicos stack up.

If we are talking science here, it shouldn't be that hard to design an acceptable speaker using the principles established by Toole etc and put into practice by Revel, KEF, Genelec etc.

And it doesn't cost any more to design a science-based speaker. Often much less.

So let's name and shame.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It may have been mentioned, but I'd love to see more expensive speakers tested.

At the moment, the upper echelon of the preference consists of higher priced speakers, but that is through self-selection.

Let's see how the Wilsons, B&Ws, Magicos stack up.

If we are talking science here, it shouldn't be that hard to design an acceptable speaker using the principles established by Toole etc and put into practice by Revel, KEF, Genelec etc.

And it doesn't cost any more to design a science-based speaker. Often much less.

So let's name and shame.
Well, the challenge is getting those to Amir. The amount of manufacturers willing to have their speaker’s objective performance analyzed is very small. Amir is buying some models, but he obviously isn’t going to go out and purchase a >$10,000 speaker (he has bought a Revel F328Be, but they sell those individually). So that leaves members sending in units.

Top Bottom