• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, my most expensive purchase for testing just arrived: Revel F328Be. Retails for $8,000 each.

It is a monster. Comes in its own hard case with wheels!!! Killed my wife and I just getting it out of the car and into the garage. Never again will I get something this heavy. It is 112 pounds it claims with the hard case.

What did I get myself into in my retirement days.....

Are you gonna keep it?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning

bobbooo

Major Contributor
In the meantime...would anyone be willing to summarize Amir's 3-5 top bookshelf speaker picks so far? I need a pair to replace my QA 3020's. Thank you!

What don't you like about the Q Acoustics 3020?

Vintage57

Forum Donor
OK, my most expensive purchase for testing just arrived: Revel F328Be. Retails for $8,000 each.

It is a monster. Comes in its own hard case with wheels!!! Killed my wife and I just getting it out of the car and into the garage. Never again will I get something this heavy. It is 112 pounds it claims with the hard case.

Looking forward to the review. This speaker is typical of what I was referring to in my recent post.
Thanks, for the best audio site.

KaMiKaZeCATS

is 112 pounds it claims with the hard case.

Hey, if you want to break your back, I highly recommend some SVS subwoofers. Particularly the 16 ultra. I know there are many measurements out there, but hey, it's supposed to measure very well. And is highly regarded some of the best subs on the market.

Otherwise, I pretty curious how the revel subwoofers measure, I own a revel b120 and it sounds great, would be curious how it measures.

It's a shame really they were the standerd for the BBC radio studio. I had some dynaudio speakers in my old volvo and they sounded fantastic!

Zed

What don't you like about the Q Acoustics 3020?
I need more bass. These are kitchen speakers but they’re the ones I listen to most often. We have a large-ish kitchen and tend to hangout in there a lot. Originally I didn’t want to commit the shelf space (they lie on their sides) but now I’m thinking that if i move some things I could accomodate 12” - 14” speakers with 5” - 6” woofers. A sub doesn’t work for a variety of space and electrical reasons.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Curious why you chose this model. Would the lighter/smaller 228 or even 226, when measured, not be a good representative sample of the Be line of speakers?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I need more bass. These are kitchen speakers but they’re the ones I listen to most often. We have a large-ish kitchen and tend to hangout in there a lot. Originally I didn’t want to commit the shelf space (they lie on their sides) but now I’m thinking that if i move some things I could accomodate 12” - 14” speakers with 5” - 6” woofers. A sub doesn’t work for a variety of space and electrical reasons.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll find much with better bass at the same or lower price. Assuming your QA 3020 has comparable performance to the 3020i (the 3020 would have to be measured to confirm this though), it looks like the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 would be the next better performing passive speaker with better bass extension of the speakers measured so far, but if you're in Europe this will be significantly more expensive than the 3020i. I've actually noticed that Q Acoustics quote the 3020 as having better bass extension than the 3020i, the former down -3dB at 64Hz to the latter's -6dB, so even this may not be an upgrade. If you're in the US, you could actually send one of your 3020 speakers to Amir to be measured to see if buying either of the speakers I mentioned (or another of comparable price that's already been measured) would even be a worthwhile upgrade at all.

nick-v

Would like to see:

JBL HDI-3800
NEW JBL 4349
KEF R11
KEF Reference 1/3/5, Blade

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I highly recommend some SVS subwoofers.
From Amir’s comments about how the Rythmik was annoying to test due to the prolonged bass notes, I doubt he is eager.

The Rythmik only showed frequency response, which besides the -3dB/6dB points, isn’t really useful.

3 main things need to be included for subwoofer measurements:

1) CEA-2010 testing for max SPL
2) Group delay measurement
3) Waterfall measurement

Data-bass.com is the best for subwoofer measurements, tests every configuration and has multiple tests.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Curious why you chose this model. Would the lighter/smaller 228 or even 226, when measured, not be a good representative sample of the Be line of speakers?
There are members with F228/226 locally but none with 328Be. People who are interested in 328Be want to listen to them first, or see my measurements, neither one of which is available. I asked Harman for a review unit but sadly they turned me down saying there are other more worthy reviewers getting them. :( Not liking that answer, I decided to purchase one myself.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I asked Harman for a review unit but sadly they turned me down...

Not liking that answer, I decided to purchase one myself.

I love it!!

One glance at your avatar, at the intensity of your focus, and Harman would have known that one does not "turn down" amirm with impunity.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are members with F228/226 locally

To those members - please take your speakers over to amirm, with some donuts and coffee :)

pogballistics

I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.

Q Acoustics 3050i

Top Bottom