• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

zeropoint

How about measuring the Amazon Echo, on offer here in the UK at the moment? It has 3.5 mm audio in/out, 3" neodymium woofer, 0.8" tweeter, and features bass, midrange, and treble equalization?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As with most other B&W speakers, they have elevated treble. Some like it, some don't.

fr_on1530.png
And the directivity is poor, here is 45/60/75:
1595877596464.png

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the directivity is poor, here is 45/60/75:
View attachment 75424

Exactly. Based on how these measurements are interpreted, they should sound a LOT worse than the M106. Yet, the Soundstage reviewer, comparing both 705S2 and the M106 back to back, with the same room/equipment, described the ways that he preferred the 705S2 sound on the same tracks.

Haint

Exactly. Based on how these measurements are interpreted, they should sound a LOT worse than the M106. Yet, the Soundstage reviewer, comparing both 705S2 and the M106 back to back, with the same room/equipment, described the ways that he preferred the 705S2 sound on the same tracks.

While those B&W's aren't benchmark quality, they don't appear to be especially terrible either. They actually look pretty good aside from a couple trouble regions. I would guess this reviewer has room modes destroying his response up to around 700Hz or so, might suggest he could have some level of high frequency hearing damage, or these tracks he's using may have have been mastered/colored to fit B&W's house signature better. I've seen a lot of making of videos where studios and audio departments have B&W diamond speakers.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Why are we focused on budget speakers.
Maybe it's just me but you spent $100,000. on a SOTA measuring device and gave it the space that it needs. Then to focus on $100. to $200. speakers is counter intuitive.
For an analogy, you wouldn't set up a 4 Wheel Dyno for the same kind of money to test Econo boxes instead of sports cars and Supercars, it would be about the same waste of resources.
Time for some upscale product tests.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it's just me but you spent $100,000. on a SOTA measuring device and gave it the space that it needs. Then to focus on $100. to $200. speakers is counter intuitive.
For an analogy, you wouldn't set up a 4 Wheel Dyno for the same kind of money to test Econo boxes instead of sports cars and Supercars, it would be about the same waste of resources.

Cause budget speakers cost less money, and he's having to buy the speakers himself. If you sent him the money, I'm sure he'd be happy to buy some more expensive speakers for testing ;)

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Cause budget speakers cost less money, and he's having to buy the speakers himself. If you sent him the money, I'm sure he'd be happy to buy some more expensive speakers for testing ;)

It says "Forum Donor"

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget speakers are entry points that the vast majority of enthusiasts go through when spending their hard earned money on better sound quality. Also the lower the price a product is the more units will be sold and the more people will consider it when shopping for speakers. It would be a great service and attract more curious eyeballs to ASR if the most frequently purchased speakers are measured and compared on this site. If my BIC dvsi62s were on this site when I shopped for and bought them I would likely have made a better choice, saved my money to increase my budget and spent it on better engineered products.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Votes would be a Sonos One. There doesn't appear to be anything from Sonos on the index yet it's a super popular brand that many people are buying.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The genesis of me reviewing audio hardware was $99 DACs which I purchased myself. So this was a way to kick start the same with speakers. Now that the well is primed, there is not as much need but still, market is massive for budget speakers. And there are so many alternatives that testing makes sense to separate the good from bad.

ta240

Major Contributor

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread on higher end ones to test.

Zed

On a related note (and I'm sure others have already clamored for it...) a summary bar chart like your DAC chart for speakers would be soooo helpful.

In the meantime...would anyone be willing to summarize Amir's 3-5 top bookshelf speaker picks so far? I need a pair to replace my QA 3020's. Thank you!

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It says "Forum Donor"

I have no idea how much this site brings in through donation relative to what it spends for upkeep, testing, shipping, ect.

I think the idea with the budget stuff was gear that was cheap enough that Amir doesn't mind purchasing it outright. Most review sites don't buy any of their own gear for testing, so ASR is probably already spending more than most I would think. I think other review sites just test what gets sent to them, which is how the more expensive gear gets tested here as well.

Plus budget gear is probably more valuable for a larger audience of people.

KaMiKaZeCATS

Would love to see some measurements of Dali speakers

the cheap ones obviously like the Zensor 1 or the Spektor 1

Side note, I would also love to see some measurements of Dynaudio speakers, they are supposed to be legendary... Something in the EMIT line.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Side note, I would also love to see some measurements of Dynaudio speakers, they are supposed to be legendary...
Local member has one.... He just needs to be talked into loaning it to me for testing!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, my most expensive purchase for testing just arrived: Revel F328Be. Retails for $8,000 each.

It is a monster. Comes in its own hard case with wheels!!! Killed my wife and I just getting it out of the car and into the garage. Never again will I get something this heavy. It is 112 pounds it claims with the hard case.

What did I get myself into in my retirement days.....

Top Bottom