• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure B&W 6XX will get terrible measurements/score...

603:
fr_on1530 (1).png

fr_456075.png

606:
fr_on1530 (2).png

fr_456075 (1).png

josh358

I tried. Stopped after it asked me to fill out a long "Submit a Purchase Request." It wants to know my amplifier and other nonsense.
That's annoying. I'm guessing they want room size and amp to make sure it will work in a customer's system. I know from what they said that it won't work in a big room without a sub -- too bass shy -- and that they'd rather not make a sale than have bad word of mouth.

Anyway, I asked Wendell Diller, their director of marketing, about a review sample, and he said "Let's see if he calls us and makes a request." Seems they have so many reviews they don't need another, but it sounds like he'd be OK with it. I'm curious about how these measure! They sounded amazing for the money when I heard them at AXPONA, and I'm curious about why, because they don't seem to measure super well even if you correct John Atkinson's curves.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm pretty sure B&W 6XX will get terrible measurements/score...
603:View attachment 70144View attachment 70145
606:View attachment 70146View attachment 70147
I really don’t get what’s going on with B&W. I first got caught up a decade ago with their 8XX Diamond series and drank their cool aid about the technical aspects of the Diamond tweeter, zeppelin assembly, cabinet, etc. I thought they were the highest reference, uhh uhh they use it in renamed recording studios, etc.

Then in the past 5 years they have renewed their whole line up and most measurements shows incredible uneven response...clearly an intended signature on their side.

WTF ?? I mean they promote their self as “The World finest speakers / Precision sound for sophisticated listening”,etc , uff bite me...

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Anyone near Amir get the R263 when it was $199?

It seems a bunch of us did. Sure curious how this 3 way stacks up against the R162. :). Distortion peak? Or not?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I don't believe I have seen anyone ask but I ordered and have completed testing of the Jamo S807 speakers. I hope to have the review up within the next day or so. Just have to take pictures and type up the report. I was interested in these because the price is low and I wanted to see how they performed. But, let's just say you often get what you pay for. :/

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe I have seen anyone ask but I ordered and have completed testing of the Jamo S807 speakers. I hope to have the review up within the next day or so. Just have to take pictures and type up the report. I was interested in these because the price is low and I wanted to see how they performed. But, let's just say you often get what you pay for. :/
They are $170/pair on Adorama:
https://www.adorama.com/ja1064580.html

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I am not so a technic person, please can you describe what you mean?
A straight line or a tilted line are good (depending on what lines you are looking at). For this source, anything below say 100Hz should be discarded due to errors. However, these measurements aren’t even close to straight lines.

To put it simply, if you were to play a piano on these, some notes would sound much louder/softer than others and some would sound much larger/narrower than others, which is of course not ideal.

enricoh

A straight line or a tilted line are good (depending on what lines you are looking at). For this source, anything below say 100Hz should be discarded due to errors. However, these measurements aren’t even close to straight lines.

To put it simply, if you were to play a piano on these, some notes would sound much louder/softer than others and some would sound much larger/narrower than others, which is of course not ideal.

Many thanks for this detailed answer.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I posted this on the $500 thread, will go ahead and post them here even though I don't know if they qualify at $560/pr (demos). Anyway I'd like to see Amir measure the Usher V-601.
http://marcs.members.sonic.net/Usher/Vseries.htm

Edit: looks like @Doug Schneider reviewed the V-602, but I can't find it on soundstage web sites. The measurements are there though.
http://www.usheraudio.cz/data/test/22-v-602-soundstage-07.pdf
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/usheraudio_v602/

Last edited:

enricoh

Nope. Baffle step wouldn't look like that. But a leaky or turbulent port or passive radiator breakup would. I'm gonna guess this isn't a sealed enclosure based on that.

Bassreflex port on backside of speakers.

SDX-LV

I would like to suggest KEF T101. There are very good reasons to check out this speaker:
  • They are truly Flat on-wall speakers with great WAF from KEF. It is hard to find another serious speaker that is so thin - 140 x 330 x 35mm (5.5 x 13.0 x 1.4 in.)
  • With a depth of 3.5 cm I am thinking of using them as Atmos speakers on 2.35 m high ceiling.
So did KEF actually make thin on-wall speakers that are actually good? People who can not mount in-ceiling speakers but want Atmos speakers really don't have many choices. As long as these KEFs have good dispersion for up to 45deg and enough volume to play Loud at max 2 m distance, then I am totally sold. + it is interesting if they can work well as surrounds when mounted flat against the wall as angling them towards listeners defeats their purpose.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If built correctly, DIY speakers are almost always a better value than off the shelf ones. At all price points, I think DIY speakers would be a invaluable addition to ASR’s measurement database. I have built several and would be willing to build and test them prior to shipping to ASR for testing. I own Zaph ZA5.2 TMs and have parts to build a spare. Even for DIY, the under $200 price point is a challenge. The ZA5.2s parts somewhat exceed the price point, but depends on cabinetry and how the crossovers are supplied. Unless cabinets are supplied, suggest sticking to MDF for those that do not. As am typing, realize that may need to some more thinking about costing cabinetry...

I would need some help to offset the cost and would limit finishing to a coat of Duratec, but if ASR members want DIY speakers tested, am willing to make it happen. :)

Ww
I need three sets of killer speakers to hang on the wall, max about 11" tall. Any contenders in your corner?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need three sets of killer speakers to hang on the wall, max about 11" tall. Any contenders in your corner?

Probably, but not sure what your application is. Is it home theater or something else?

josh358

I would like to suggest KEF T101. There are very good reasons to check out this speaker:
  • They are truly Flat on-wall speakers with great WAF from KEF. It is hard to find another serious speaker that is so thin - 140 x 330 x 35mm (5.5 x 13.0 x 1.4 in.)
  • With a depth of 3.5 cm I am thinking of using them as Atmos speakers on 2.35 m high ceiling.
So did KEF actually make thin on-wall speakers that are actually good? People who can not mount in-ceiling speakers but want Atmos speakers really don't have many choices. As long as these KEFs have good dispersion for up to 45deg and enough volume to play Loud at max 2 m distance, then I am totally sold. + it is interesting if they can work well as surrounds when mounted flat against the wall as angling them towards listeners defeats their purpose.
Second that, there's a lot of technology in these and I'm curious about how successful they were.

Top Bottom