• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

jae

Major Contributor
Vanatoo Transparent One Encore
Vanatoo Transparent Zero

riker1384

I'd like to see some of the moderately priced speakers of 10-20 years ago that were aiming for neutrality. Things like the PSB Image series, Energy Connoisseur and RC series, Paradigm Monitor series and such. A lot of them can be found on the used market for under $200.

A lot of them have been measured by others in the past, but it would be interesting to see them get the full measurement suite here, see how well the match and see what amirm thinks of them compared to newer speakers. Or maybe measure the models that haven't been reviewed as much (Energy C-1, PSB Image B15, etc) and see if they are as good as the models that were sent out to the magazines back in the day.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Vanatoo Transparent One Encore
Vanatoo Transparent Zero
They are here already. What is not is time to review them. :) But I am getting there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd like to see some of the moderately priced speakers of 10-20 years ago that were aiming for neutrality. Things like the PSB Image series, Energy Connoisseur and RC series, Paradigm Monitor series and such. A lot of them can be found on the used market for under $200.
The only PSB I have is a new Alpha P5. I am at the mercy of someone sending their older units in for measurements.

Kaiju

They are here already. What is not is time to review them. :) But I am getting there.

You should really consider reviewing them soon, they are raved in youtube and if I am not wrong powered active desktop speakers are not reviewed here till date.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
why?
1. because they say MTM is audiophile design :)
2. they are sleek and more sexy to women intended for space challenging environment :)
3. they are cheaper than IK Multimedia iLoud PC speakers mini personal monitors :)

tllw

Forum Donor
Canton Vento or Chrono SL bookshelves

A German made speakers with quite impressive in-house made drivers especially considering the price. They produce speakers with ceramic waveguide tweeter and ceramic or titanium woofers for well under 500 euros. Very solid cabinets as well.

AFAIK they are available in the US and aven lower price compared to the EU.

Last edited:

jgazal

Airpulse A100, including some analysis of their digital crossovers, impulse response and bass management when a sub is connected.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be useful to test the cheapest 2 ways bookshelf ($69 each) and floor standing tower ($150 each) from Crutchfield (or another seller).
It is clearly the entry level of a budget speaker set available in the US.
Quality may be on the low side but only some measurements could confirm it

taisho

Forum Donor
I would like to see ELAC B6.2 tested. $350 at Amazon (a pair) makes them a budget choice between 6.5'' woofer speakers. After seeing how DBR-62 scored, I bet that many members are interested in its measurements. They are relatively a new product and perfectly available both in the US and EU.

Sprint

Forum Donor
Genelec 8340, 8350, KS Digital C88

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All JBL Stage models are on sale.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=JBL+Stage&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2c

The A170 tower is just $410 now instead of $600, here are the horizontal and vertical directivity plots from the Stereophile review:
1590630216958.jpeg

1590630232070.jpeg

I wonder how the Stage A130 (now $210 instead of $300) would fare, it may become a good budget option over the Pioneer.

Top Bottom