• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

JW001

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
'Connector tubes' - let's put this scam to bed once and for all - with measurements.

gr-e

Yep, but worse performing (no DSP), so it only offers deeper bass and louder output.
No DSP doesn't necessarily mean it performs worse.
The enclosure material is different too: cast aluminium vs plastic.

Feljor

Me gustaría por favor Monitor Audio Bronze 2 y amplificador Rega Brío

Saludos

Attachments

• XtuLFUJQqhbtZtds4e43CX-480-80.jpg
    XtuLFUJQqhbtZtds4e43CX-480-80.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 9200000101916804.jpg
    9200000101916804.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 115

Bamboszek

I've compared some smaller studio monitors recently, specwise these look interesting and were not mentioned yet :

Monkey Banana Gibbon 5 (german company, probably limited availability in US..)
M-Audio BX8 D3 -although BX5 already mentioned, this bigger sibling goes for "most power for bucks approach", feaure 8"woofer and 150W power for a price typical for smaller models from competition (downside - limited EQ shelving = LF only)
RCF Ayra Pro 6 - interesting italian company, one of the cheapest featuring DSP, they also provide some measurement in their datasheet
lastly, Fluid Audio FX50 was mentioned already, but its bigger brother FX80 seems to have better market availability
RCF lineup looks indeed interesting. Seems like serious company with proper R&D, they manufacture drivers by themselves and are focused at professional market. Prices in Europe are imho really good.

matt3421

I forgot about HSU. I have one of their subwoofers and would love to see their speakers measured

Putter

Forum Donor
I'll throw a left field speaker, the Boston Acoustic Soundware. It ticks at least some of the boxes that make a good design. It's a coaxial speaker, with a 3/4" dome tweeter and 4-1/2" woofer in an acoustic suspension enclosure. It spec'ed at 90-20,000 Hz (±3dB) and as an acoustic suspension design benefit from corner mounting which improves the low end, although for serious listening you'd need a subwoofer.

It's still available new for Accessories4less for $69 each notwithstanding that Boston Acoustics seems to be a defunct brand. It's also easily found used. It's also gotten good reviews including one from LA Audio File which included a frequency response that I've included. It seems to have the 'BBC dip' no doubt due to its coaxial design. It's not what I'd call 'high end', but provides good sound in a variety of applications including home theater, as extension speakers and even outdoor speaker in sheltered locations.

In the interest of full disclosure I've 2 pairs, one pair with a Sony Minisystem in the kitchen and the other as part of a home theater system in the hobby room. 1587277524746.png1587278372664.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom