• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Willem

Major Contributor
Since the small Wharfedale 220 and 12.1 speakers with 130 mm woofers were rightly praised so much, I would like to see a review of the slightly larger models with 160 mm woofers: are those as well integrated, or not as seems to have been the case with older models with 160 mm woofers.

Last edited:

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dj pioneer dm40 and logitech z623 and some more from Edifier like Edifier Luna
Don't know if this was mentioned, but the DM40 range is offered in both initial and updated (since 2022) versions:

previous -> new
DM-40 -> DM-40D
AB amp / no DSP -> D amp + DSP (switch for DJ mode and Production mode - some EQ tuning probably)
(white color DM-40W -> DM40D-W)

- unchained features: DECO convex diffusers (for tweeters), Time alignment, Grooved ducts (for front ports), 4-inch woofer

+ bluetooth
DM-40BT -> DM-40DBT
(white color DM-40BT-W -> DM40D-BT-W)

Considering power consumption, I've looked up user guide and it says 35W for older "class AB" BT version and 20W for newer "class D" version, with no further details (at what volume setting), some weight loss ocurred as well.
As a little "update downgrade" the new BT model lost Apt-X / Apt-X Low Latency capability, probably license fees.. (now with SBC/AAC only) / BT version was lifted from v.4.2 to 5.0 though.

Whole above range is offered also with 5" woofer (DM-50xx)

dm-40d_cgi-1792x1316-pc_angle_b.png

Last edited:

aaddas

Tannoy b6
Quad s2
triangle genese trio

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Micca Covo.
It is a coaxial 2 way speaker.
Could it be good enough for use as an Atmos speaker?

Micca-Covo.jpg

Penelinfi

Micca Covo.

Micca-Covo.jpg
I have a set of 3" coaxial drivers with neo magnet (won't fill half your enclosure space); they are surprisingly nice to listen to imo. They do have more colouration than reference speakers, but also do a 3d and detail thing that the others don't necessarily do, at lower volume. Will be great night time speakers I think.
Would love a high end version of such drivers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Micca Covo.

Micca-Covo.jpg
If it is the same as Covo-s, Amazon says I already bought it a while ago!!! :) I will test it soon....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

pierre

Forum Donor
DB Technology B-Hype 10

a PA speaker with a 10 inch woofer, active for 170 euros. They are decent at (very relative) low volume. They of course need a subwoofer.
That’s a reasonable option for a garage or garden parties.

Attachments

• 1681630844424.png
    1681630844424.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 26

tktran303

Forum Donor
@amirm

Has anyone offered to send you the mass market speakers that’s recommended by publications like Consumer Reports, New York Times etc?

I mean consumer speakers in the very competitive under $300 point for a PAIR

UE Wonderboom 3

IIRC, the impetus for the original research by @Floyd Toole was that CR was giving all these recommended Best Buys to speakers with 1/3 octave on axis frequency responses.

I wonder how things have changed for the better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

Has anyone offered to send you the mass market speakers that’s recommended by publications like Consumer Reports, New York Times etc?

I mean consumer speakers in the very competitive under $300 point for a PAIR

UE Wonderboom 3

IIRC, the impetus for the original research by @Floyd Toole was that CR was giving all these recommended Best Buys to speakers with 1/3 octave on axis frequency responses.

I wonder how things have changed for the better.
I have measured a few (homepod, etc.). They are a pain to test if they don't have line input and only rely on Bluetooth.

tktran303

Forum Donor
3 of 4 of the devices on that page have a 3.5 mm input.

Just not the tiniest Wonderboom 3 device, which is a bummer. Same with the smallest UE, Apple, Bose and Sonos devices, which probably together comprise a significant portion of the “premium” smart speaker market.

But the Hyperboom does.
And Sonos Five and new Era 100/300 have auxiliary ports for ease of testing.

and It’d be interesting to see what the masses are buying in C21 based on Consumer Reports.

Or maybe the market has decided that mono projected in pseudo-360 degrees via bluetooth is enough to enjoy music, and HAS replaced traditional stereo of C20 as the most preferred sound.

Perhaps a sound bar is all we need for home theatre these days?
3E744C3B-7DBA-43CB-853A-26767DABAD59.png

Last edited:

Floyd Toole

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Sorry, but your recollection is wrong. It is true that shortly after the loudspeaker research began in earnest it became clear that Consumer Reports loudspeaker ratings were wrong. But it was more than twenty years before we decided to spend the time and money to directly challenge the Consumer Reports methodology. The history of the events is described in Section 5.7 in the 3rd edition of my book. Sean Olive's benchmark papers were published in 2004:
Olive, S.E. (2004a). “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: part 1 – listening test results”, 116th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 6113.
Olive, S.E. (2004b). “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: part 2 – development of the model”, 117th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 6190.

If consumer reports had used 1/3-octave on axis frequency responses things might have been better, but they used 1/3-octave sound power measurements, processed in a fashion resulting in "accuracy scores" that were grossly misleading. It would be interesting to see how they are doing these days. After Olive's papers were published they ceased loudspeaker reviews, and initiated a program to improve their methods. It was discontinued after a period . . . there was more money to be made testing products other than "hifi" loudspeakers, where people have many other sources of information, even though most of it is unreliable subjectivism.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but your recollection is wrong. It is true that shortly after the loudspeaker research began in earnest it became clear that Consumer Reports loudspeaker ratings were wrong. But it was more than twenty years before we decided to spend the time and money to directly challenge the Consumer Reports methodology. The history of the events is described in Section 5.7 in the 3rd edition of my book. Sean Olive's benchmark papers were published in 2004:
Olive, S.E. (2004a). “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: part 1 – listening test results”, 116th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 6113.
Olive, S.E. (2004b). “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: part 2 – development of the model”, 117th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 6190.

If consumer reports had used 1/3-octave on axis frequency responses things might have been better, but they used 1/3-octave sound power measurements, processed in a fashion resulting in "accuracy scores" that were grossly misleading. It would be interesting to see how they are doing these days. After Olive's papers were published they ceased loudspeaker reviews, and initiated a program to improve their methods. It was discontinued after a period . . . there was more money to be made testing products other than "hifi" loudspeakers, where people have many other sources of information, even though most of it is unreliable subjectivism.
Oh, my. I didn’t know Dr. Toole was a participant in ASR! The expert knowledge that’s here is the main reason why I keep coming back!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, my. I didn’t know Dr. Toole was a participant in ASR! The expert knowledge that’s here is the main reason why I keep coming back!
I know, it is pretty cool! He's not on here everyday and rightly so really, but it sure is good to see a diamond post from him from time to time!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KH150 have been done already.

Besides... just a reminder of the thread title... (Not to you, but quite a few people around here)

On what Earth these are budget speakers?
Ha, that's what I was thinking! (don't mind them being tested though!)

EDIT: thinking about it, budget speakers in my mind max out at £500 for a pair. I guess that would make mid-price at £750, and expensive at £1000+ for a pair. Grasping a bit at straws for the mid & expensive range, but budget speakers in my mind max out at £500 per pair (and not so long ago "budget" would be significantly less than that, but that's "ASR Creep" combined with Inflation!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom