• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Mal

... smaller Wharfedale Diamonds or QAcoustics. We have some QA 3010 in the bedroom and they are quite OK. They cannot hold a candle to my Harbeth P3ESRs but they are better than the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 ... I would certainly be interested to see any of these measured ...
Seconded. I would especially like to to see Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 reviewed.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I would like to see reviewed :
Heco Celan Revolution 3

View attachment 247448
It seems its worth to buy and try real hi-fi :)
To confirm my words: blind tests we have here: https://www.hifimaailma.fi/tuoteesittely/kamppailu-keskiluokassa-6.108.122673.1b5768f6fb

P.s. R3 beat Revel Concerta M16 but it was close !

Regards
Although they're £989 here in the UK for a pair, which is hard to call "budget". Against the context of £10000 speakers then you might say they are. I'd probably say £500 a pair is budget territory.

pio80

Come on guys ;-) , and what's about Revel,Kef and other speakers which have been reviewed here by @amirm ,They cost more than 200$ I guess :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some speakers are sent by members, some are bought by Amir to review. I guess Amir focus on those budget speakers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to guess. The first post set the bar at $200 a pair
Ha, that's a good point! If you think about it though, to me that's quite a low budget.....for example I've always thought of my JBL 308p Mkii speakers to be budget speakers, albeit one of the best examples of such a speaker, which I bought in a sale for £300 for a pair - which would be breaking the bank quite easily for a budget speaker if you were limiting it to $200 a pair. They're basically perfect speakers (certainly after using the -2dB Trim Switch on the back of speaker), apart from some non-optimal distortion of the woofer. Personally given the massive price range of different speakers I think $200 per pair is a tad low.....I'd go $500/£500 for a pair as top measure for a budget speaker......we probably also need to recognise the inflationary pressure that has beset probably most of the world since the introduction of this post.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the "budget cap" on this thread got blown outta the water a long time ago , and Amir has reviewed many speakers that exceeded the limit, based at least in part ,on rec's in this thread..so getting caught up in artificial "limits" seems less important than just trying to honor the stated agenda.. idk, ymmv....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the "budget cap" on this thread got blown outta the water a long time ago , and Amir has reviewed many speakers that exceeded the limit, based at least in part ,on rec's in this thread..so getting caught up in artificial "limits" seems less important than just trying to honor the stated agenda.. idk, ymmv....
Yeah, as long as we keep it sensible, $1000 / £1000 a pair doesn't seem budget to me though, but to me $500/£500 per pair could still be classed budget as an upper limit. But yes, it's subject to evaluation!

tw 2022

Yeah, as long as we keep it sensible, $1000 / £1000 a pair doesn't seem budget to me though, but to me $500/£500 per pair could still be classed budget as an upper limit. But yes, it's subject to evaluation!
agreed , i do however give up some room for the current economy and inflation, imo the lines are kinda blurred right now.. revel seems to be finally understanding the value of a sales price vs maxing out profit on every unit...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
agreed , i do however give up some room for the current economy and inflation, imo the lines are kinda blurred right now.. revel seems to be finally understanding the value of a sales price vs maxing out profit on every unit...
Yeah, it's bound to creep up quickly these past year (and next year(s)?).

D!sco

The budget cap was set before inflation and supply chain issues drove the price of everything up. $400 is probably more fair for "budget" now, but I definitely see the problem with leaving it that high.

ronniebear

@Disco, I was just thinking that $400/pair would be a suitable price point for "budget" or "entry level" speakers in the current market (US). Ex-US, the equivalent price point would be somewhat higher.

USER

Forum Donor
It would be fascinating to see what this JBL Basspro SL2 mini 8" car sub can do:

6176-2-qdaL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

3" tall! It fits under most car seats and may be perfect for someone that wants to add a little bass to their car stereo in order to better balance it without going all in.

At $235 it seems like a possible good deal if you can dependably get to 40Hz or so.

Mal

I'm most interested in passive bookshelf speakers less than 6 inches (15cm) wide that might be used as computer speakers, so near field capability is a priority. Possibiities:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0
Wharfedale Diamond 12.0
Q Acoustics 3010
Edifier P17
DALI Spektor 1

tw 2022

I'm most interested in passive bookshelf speakers less than 6 inches (15cm) wide that might be used as computer speakers, so near field capability is a priority. Possibiities:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0
Wharfedale Diamond 12.0
Q Acoustics 3010
Edifier P17
DALI Spektor 1
the WD 12.1 has been done ... it should be similar to the 12.0.....

Swenap

I think it's already been mentioned in this thread but Triangle Borea BR02. The BR03 review was interesting to say the least.

nat1

KRK GoAux 3/4 would be interesting to look at as a comparison to other tiny high performance monitors like the Genelec 8010A and iLoud offerings. The GoAux 4 has built in ARC and is supplied with a microphone like the iLoud MTM.

Top Bottom