• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A buddy of mine had a large pair of Speaker Labs and a one point I borrowed a pair of NAD 2200 amps from the local distributer and they sounded great. When the helicopter noise on a Pink Floyd album came on, we turned it up. The speakers (which were laying sideways on shelves built into the wall over each built in single bed on each side of the room) jumped of off the shelves onto the beds. It was at that point that we decided that the NAD 2200's made adequate power for our purposes when run bridged mono.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A buddy of mine had a large pair of Speaker Labs and a one point I borrowed a pair of NAD 2200 amps from the local distributer and they sounded great. When the helicopter noise on a Pink Floyd album came on, we turned it up. The speakers (which were laying sideways on shelves built into the wall over each built in single bed on each side of the room) jumped of off the shelves onto the beds. It was at that point that we decided that the NAD 2200's made adequate power for our purposes when run bridged mono.
i kinda remember s.l. speakers from the bygone days, but i really didn't put it all together until later that these are a reincarnation of vintage speakers from the 1960/70/80's.. i was really shocked at the sound quality...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i kinda remember s.l. speakers from the bygone days, but i really didn't put it all together until later that these are a reincarnation of vintage speakers from the 1960/70/80's.. i was really shocked at the sound quality...
My friend was using a Pioneer receiver at the time. Which one, I don't know. But the change (in sound quality) running each NAD 2200 bridged mono was very apparent. On the other hand, the power level was stupendous. The fact that we did not break the S.L. speakers was also a miracle. The 3 story house on 2 acres+ allowed us to operate the equipment as loud as we wanted, we'd just open the windows, crank the volume up & go outside to the barn. Eventually the barn was where we moved the system to: to avoid parental interference.

movehome

That is amazing value. I would order it now but I have no room whatsoever for it. Remind me again next month and I will get it.
Hey Amir just reminding you that you showed interest in reviewing the Tannoy 402 powered monitor speakers. They're around $100 each. I like mine - they are a very significant step up in sound quality over the Edifier 1280T (which I also have).

poxymoron

Legacy Focus SE. Only $12,000 a pair, clearly budget for somebody. Lots of hype around this speaker, and their DAC/room processor didn't do so well in Amir's attempted review. A spin of their speaker should be interesting:
The absolute sound likes them, that's good enough for me. All in!

Bleib

Major Contributor
If available across the Atlantic

Pro-Ject Speaker Box 5 S2​

adam2434

Given how well the Polk ES20 bookshelf measured, it would be cool if Amir or Erin could Klippel the ES60 floorstander.

Jasperous

Come on , any audiophile that spends £200 on the most important bit of their rig is .. well not very audiophile.

I'd like to see the jonesy (elac) speakers measured , $300-500 range .
Sometimes you just need a pair of speakers in the cottage, or for a short term posting.

kaopad999

Would like to hear from any who knows a bit to the newer Mission LX-2 MKII or/and LX-3 MKII..?!!

Had Chario Syntar as fronts before (only compact speakers - not towers)
I own the Mission LX-2 (first genration) and they sound very nice. Better than my Q acoustics 2020i's.

SpirosZach

I recently got myself a pair of Tannoy Reveal 802 from Thomann for 169 euros each. In the US they retail at 199USD each.
I think they are the best value-for-money 8" studio monitors ever made. I have read older reviews that complained about hum and hiss but with mine, I can't hear either as long as I keep their gain under 50% and my distance to not closer than 30-50cm. At 25cm with the gain set at around 50% I can hear a slight hiss from the tweeter which disappears a few cm further away. Manufacturer specs originally claimed 100W of power, 75 on the woofer and 25 on the tweeter but my copies were stating 140Ws on the box with 100W at the woofer and 40 at the tweeter so chances are these have now different amps than the first batch in order to correct for the hum and hiss problems they had at launch. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have reviewed the 140W version yet.
I would love to see a complete review on them with measurements etc because I believe they deserve some more love. At that price, it is worth getting at least one piece just for the test.
IMHO they sound better than HS8 and much better than any other passive speaker under 1000euros/pr I have heard. And they play loud.

Last edited:

Jasperous

AudioVector QR1 + Anything Polk.
I'd say Sony, but I rather doubt that they design or make anything themselves anymore

Last edited:
Top Bottom