• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not exactly budget speakers but really cheap pc speakers... creative t40 series II would be interesting to see measured properly as they have a flimsy plastic box but with eq they sound really good to my ears until you go really loud (for them) and even I think I can hear the plastic resonate then. And the eq wasn't anything fancy just based on some random frequency response graph I found online and modified a little by ear. Not even a proper request per se just an observation.

nstzya

I stumbled into this thread, but gave up on page 2 when I realized the thread was 87 pages long?!

EdTice

I stumbled into this thread, but gave up on page 2 when I realized the thread was 87 pages long?!
Welcome aboard. Yeah this is one consolidated places where we all make suggestions and assume that Amir has unlimited time. Some of us even offer to purchase equipment for testing. But only a small fraction of the proposed items can actually be reviewed.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I am ordering a pair. I would be willing to send them to Amir, but between them taking a few weeks to arrive / me to build and Amir's current situation, Dennis may be out of stock before they can be reviewed.
Right. The current kit was designed pre-inflation, and my costs have gone up $50 since then. The cabinet is pretty utilitarian and puts a cap on how much I can charge. But we'll see after I get some feedback from owners.

enioentity

it is about all German speakers. I do not think they presented in USA according to reviews.
Canton, Heco, Elac BS (not Andrew Jones Elac).
audio advice is selling them. finally someone is reviewing them. just saw joe n tell got some for review.

DerickHarlin

Even though it is discontinued i would love to see a detailled measurement of the little gem JBL Arena 120. You can easily get them as used pairs here in germany. I have a pair of those on my desk and a friend uses them for surround applications. Their price/performance-ratio have been praised by many, including Floyd Toole, and I would love to see if they can be further improved with equalization. I would also be interested in a measurement of the bigger Arena 130.

Halfmac

I vote for the Edifier S1000db. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my audio in my video edit studio so I bought the Edifier S1000DB on Amazon. All I can say is WOW! These are the best sounding speakers I have had since selling my Quad ESL1's many years ago. They have that sound that gives you the feeling of being in the recording hall or room like the Quad's. I have them connected to my computer system with a Toshlink cable digitally. My CalDigit Thunderbolt T3+ hub has Toshlink. No sub woofer needed like on my Quad's.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not exactly budget speakers but really cheap pc speakers... creative t40 series II would be interesting to see measured properly as they have a flimsy plastic box but with eq they sound really good to my ears until you go really loud (for them) and even I think I can hear the plastic resonate then.
I bought something similar to them for testing.

ToriCatcher

Any of Morel's speakers would be very interesting to see. They are mainly known for making speaker components and drivers (for Magico, amongst others) but they also make speakers. Would be very interesting to see how they measure.

RHO

Major Contributor
Any of Morel's speakers would be very interesting to see. They are mainly known for making speaker components and drivers (for Magico, amongst others) but they also make speakers. Would be very interesting to see how they measure.
You have a strange definition of "budget". ;)
(cheapest pair I could find are $1490)

Actungz

Surprised that Amir hasn’t bought the Q150’s or nobody has sent him a pair yet. If I lived in the states I would totally send mine in for a review.

For such a popular speaker (constantly getting recommended when on sale for $300), there are surprisingly few measurements done on it.

Last edited:

ToriCatcher

You have a strange definition of "budget". ;)
(cheapest pair I could find are $1490)
They are a little hard to find, but actually have speakers ranging from the low few hundreds USD to their 55,000 USD Fat Lady speaker. Admittedly, I'm more curious about their units containing their higher tier tweeters and carbon fiber woofers.

hexinho

I vote for the Edifier S1000db. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my audio in my video edit studio so I bought the Edifier S1000DB on Amazon. All I can say is WOW! These are the best sounding speakers I have had since selling my Quad ESL1's many years ago. They have that sound that gives you the feeling of being in the recording hall or room like the Quad's. I have them connected to my computer system with a Toshlink cable digitally. My CalDigit Thunderbolt T3+ hub has Toshlink. No sub woofer needed like on my Quad's.
Looking at the (3) message history, this account must be a bot....

Top Bottom