• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not just that they are too loud in the treble. There is a certain level of distortion. Perhaps "harshness" is a better word. You could EQ the highs down some but the distortion would still be there at higher listening volumes. They handle things like Thorogood and The Prodigy just fine, and "Start a Riot" is a hoot, but try some high fidelity treble like Lata Mangeshkar and the distortion is unbearable.
Gotcha..Sounds like eq' ing is just putting whipped cream on poop...

fragzone

If I lived in USA I would send Amir my swan m200mkiii+. Been a highly lauded pc desktop setup through numerous iterations since the early 2000s. So curious how they would measure.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Are you going to be able to fix it?
As discussed in the later posts, it depends on whether the problem is mainly due to tweeter distortion. I could probably reduce that problem by moving the crossover point up, but then I would get jumped on for messing up the directivity, which is very even now.

tw 2022

As discussed in the later posts, it depends on whether the problem is mainly due to tweeter distortion. I could probably reduce that problem by moving the crossover point up, but then I would get jumped on for messing up the directivity, which is very even now.
Best of luck, I'm always hoping you add another gem to the list of mods...btw , is it a 3 way? I haven't looked at the specs.. I guess that might make it more viable...

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Best of luck, I'm always hoping you add another gem to the list of mods...btw , is it a 3 way? I haven't looked at the specs.. I guess that might make it more viable...
It's a 2.5, which are usually harder to work with. But it's the size of the driver handling the midrange and lower treble that matters, and it's big. I can only guess that JBL was placing higher priority on controlled directivity than distortion. I haven't looked at the crossover yet. I'm hoping it's mounted on the input terminal so I don't have to cosmetic rings around the woofers. That would probably be a show stopper.

tw 2022

It's a 2.5, which are usually harder to work with. But it's the size of the driver handling the midrange and lower treble that matters, and it's big. I can only guess that JBL was placing higher priority on controlled directivity than distortion. I haven't looked at the crossover yet. I'm hoping it's mounted on the input terminal so I don't have to cosmetic rings around the woofers. That would probably be a show stopper.
What do you think about trying a mod on the Emotiva t1+ ..??..seems like that might be a good candidate... A smart asr member might want to sponsor that effort...

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
What do you think about trying a mod on the Emotiva t1+ ..??..seems like that might be a good candidate... A smart asr member might want to sponsor that effort...
Is the T1 broken enough to fix?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Your thoughts on the MOUKEY M20-3?
No thoughts until I measure them. :) Put in the order at Amazon. Strangely it shows one crossover frequency for a 3-way speaker!

kokakolia

I want to see the Axiom M3 reviewed.

I know it's around $600/pair, so it might be considered "midrange" for some. I'm curious to see how it performs. They look high end. You get a real veneer finish, which is almost unheard of for the price.

Axiom regularly releases videos on YouTube. The designer insists on using speaker measurements and targetting a neutral frequency response. Axiom and PSB use the same research lab for measuring speakers.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I know it's around $600/pair, so it might be considered "midrange" for some. I'm curious to see how it performs. They look high end. You get a real veneer finish, which is almost unheard of for the price.

Axiom regularly releases videos on YouTube. The designer insists on using speaker measurements and targetting a neutral frequency response. Axiom and PSB use the same research lab for measuring speakers.
Yes, I would say almost at the bottom of mid-range on the price. Never heard or seen an Axiom in person.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

cavedriver

Legacy Focus SE. Only $12,000 a pair, clearly budget for somebody. Lots of hype around this speaker, and their DAC/room processor didn't do so well in Amir's attempted review. A spin of their speaker should be interesting:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting data. But 22 years old. Perhaps their have been some factory updates of these units since then? It would be interesting to see newer data to compare.
Yes, realized after posting it.

Sounds like similar design.

If you can wait 26 days? They’re about $46 cheaper

tw 2022

Interesting data. But 22 years old. Perhaps their have been some factory updates of these units since then? It would be interesting to see newer data to compare.
Afaik that's a different model...this current speaker is a " remake"...

Bleib

Major Contributor
Dynavoice DM6 if these are available in USA (probably not)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, realized after posting it.

Sounds like similar design.

If you can wait 26 days? They’re about $46 cheaper
Remake or completely different design?

With my Dahlquist's M-905's (+- 2 dB from 26 to 20,000 Hz) + my pair of subs, I am not likely to change. But it is nice to explore.

Dahlquist M-905 test:

The 8-inch woofer of the M-905 is a polyvinyl-acetate-laminated cone operating in a vented enclosure. The outlet of its tuned port is on the front panel of the speaker cabinet. At 2,500 Hz there is a crossover to a 1-inch soft-dome tweeter.

The close-miked woofer (and port) response was also considerably flatter than we have measured from most speakers, with a very small bass-resonance peak. At the system resonance of 60 Hz, the output was only about 2 dB above its average level in the upper part of the woofer's range, and even that minor output variation was spread over almost two octaves. When the bass curve was spliced to the room-response measurement, the resulting composite frequency response was flat within about ±2 dB from 26 to 20,000 Hz. The horizontal directivity of the tweeter was only discernible in the room measurement above 10,000 Hz.

We measured the sensitivity of the M-905 as 87 dB SPL, which was lower than the rated 91 dB but still about average for speakers of its size. The difference may have been a result of different test conditions since we used a full-range pink-noise signal while Dahlquist's rating was made at 1,000 Hz. The system's minimum impedance was about 4.8 ohms in the 8,000- to 10,000-Hz region, and it measured 7 ohms at 150 to 200 Hz. Its maximum impedance was 28 ohms at 60 Hz, and there was a broad peak of 18 ohms in the vicinity of 1,500 Hz.

We measured the woofer's distortion with a 4-volt drive level, corresponding to a 90-dB SPL at 1 meter. The distortion was less than 1 percent from 100 Hz down to almost 60 Hz, the effective crossover to the port. Below that crossover the distortion rose to 5 percent at 45 Hz and 9 percent at 35 Hz. In high-power tests with single-cycle tone bursts, the woofer began to sound "hard" at about 350 watts into its 8.5-ohm impedance at 100 Hz. At higher frequencies the amplifier clipped-at outputs of 490 watts at 1.000 Hz and 1,380 watts at 10,000 Hz-before distortion became visible on the acoustic waveform.

Quasi-anechoic FFT measurements showed an overall group-delay variation of about 0.1 millisecond between 4,000 and 20,000 Hz and 0.5 ms between 1,000 and 20.000 Hz, convincing evidence of the attention paid to the phase characteristics of the M-905.

Top Bottom