• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Neumann KH120A. Not sure how budget these are, but they can be found used for not too much money in speaker terms.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let me contact my JBL rep(s) to see availability and pricing.
The new Studio 6 series is not yet available in the US though JBL has added it to its website. Interesting mix and match with the compression driver from the Studio 5 series and an HDI waveguide replacing the old bi-radial horn for an overall appearance similar to the more expensive HDI series:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Gallo Nucleus Micro & A'Diva

Been around for years now (15 years?) - nice sounding basic speaker for a sub/satellite setup - one I have recommended to friends in the past as an economical, good sounding "lifestyle" system.

Would be nice to have it measured here...

alekksander

Yamaha MSP7 Studio.

Yamaha places their MSP Studio line above their HS line and still sells it, but supposedly doesn't advertise it as much, and thus price-to-performance is supposedly very good. They are heavy and solidly built. Class AB amp? Supposedly their new NS-5000 is similar to these, they added one more driver, added a zero to the price tag, and called it a day. So many "supposedly", I know. I listened to the MSP5 Studio pair many times (by a friend) and they sound amazing. Maybe someone can send @amirm a unit to review, I will donate after a review. Note: There's an older, discontinued and worse performing MSP non-Studio line.

This is not a budget speaker as defined in the first post, but I couldn't find any other topics, so I'm posting it here (maybe pin certain topics, or pin only one topic and link there to other topics to keep the pinned topics number low).

PS: Thanks @amirm for being scientific about reviews.
Any of the (studio) MSP would be great. The "non studio" MSP3 is also appealing.

USER

Forum Donor
The JBL Stage A180 small tower speaker is at the incredible low price of $99 each including shipping.

This would make a killer review, especially if it proves to be low distortion.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
The JBL Stage A180 small tower speaker is at the incredible low price of $99 each including shipping.

This would make a killer review, especially if it proves to be low distortion.
Who's selling it for $99 with shipping? The JBL store is $400 (a pair, I think),

USER

Forum Donor
Who's selling it for $99 with shipping? The JBL store is $400 (a pair, I think),
They are on the Harman site. Use the link I posted. If it doesn't show up as $99 in your cart, delete your Harman cookies and try again. (I had to do that with the A130s I recently purchased. I put them in my cart then looked around the site. When I returned the price was higher. But resetting cookies gave me the low price again.)

75% off is pretty damn sweet!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
They are on the Harman site. Use the link I posted. If it doesn't show up as $99 in your cart, delete your Harman cookies and try again. (I had to do that with the A130s I recently purchased. I put them in my cart then looked around the site. When I returned the price was higher. But resetting cookies gave me the low price again.)

75% off is pretty damn sweet!
OK I ordered one. Will post measurements and see whether a Xover mod is called for. The $99 price is for a single. I don't know whether the $400 list price is for a single or a pair.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I would prescribe a "soundbar' to anyone, I wonder if testing a few current top-seller soundbars would either make me change my mind or set the record straight, once and for all...:confused:

USER

Forum Donor
OK I ordered one. Will post measurements and see whether a Xover mod is called for. The $99 price is for a single. I don't know whether the $400 list price is for a single or a pair.
Thank you so much, Dennis. This is a very considerate thing for you to do for the audio community.

I believe that retail price is $400 each, with them going on sale occasionally at $200. This price is a pretty deep discount that I have not seen before.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Thank you so much, Dennis. This is a very considerate thing for you to do for the audio community.

I believe that retail price is $400 each, with them going on sale occasionally at $200. This price is a pretty deep discount that I have not seen before.
Which probably means they're closing them out, and I'll come up with another crossover mod for a non-existent speaker.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
this is a rather new speaker.. i doubt they are going to discontinue
Well, someone must have added an extra zero to the last order--10,000 pieces instead of 1,000?--because even Harman can't make any money at $100 each unless the cabinet is made out of plastic and the crossover is a cap and a resistor.

tw 2022

Well, someone must have added an extra zero to the last order--10,000 pieces instead of 1,000?--because even Harman can't make any money at $100 each unless the cabinet is made out of plastic and the crossover is a cap and a resistor.
Maybe they're flooding the market for some reason, I'm sure you know that harman is now funded by Samsung, kinda deep pockets there...maybe harman needs to lose a few bucks to achieve some " samsung goal"??..just the 1st thoughts that come to mind ...Edit, come to think of it , the 530s have been on close out since about 2015 .. At least it seems like it...:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom