• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The "BESTISAN" SR01 bookshelf speakers on Amazon that surfaced near the end of 2020 are visually very similar to the R1280T which is one of the best budget bookshelf speakers, according to various sources I've read (including the in-house review here). I was pretty much set on getting those to dip my toe in the water, since the closest I've been to "good" audio is through my Sennheiser HD558. The Bestisan bookshelves are clearly designed to compete with the R1280T from Edifier, and with both companies being Chinese, I'm very curious to see how the former measures up according to an audio professional. They appear to have no reputable reviews due to being a relatively new product, and while the Amazon reviews are stellar, the amount of salt required to trust them would leave me catatonic.

Bestisan SR01 vs Edifier R1280T pros and cons from my layman perspective:

Pros:
  • $17 cheaper at the time of writing ($83 vs $100)
  • Optical and USB input
  • Input switching via remote (internal audio switcher?)
  • Higher maximum output (50W vs 42W)
  • Impedance stated in product description (6 ohm vs ???)
Cons:
  • No official English website or online documentation (Amazon QnA stated user manual may be requested via support email)
  • "DSP technology enabled sound modes" sounds like ways to screw up audio balance
Specs-wise it seems to be more feature-rich than the R1280T and it's cheaper to boot, but it has not been tried-and-tested by the masses or professional reviewers. I'm the type of person to always want the absolute most out of the money I spend on tech, so having more features for less is very appealing, but I also understand that in the world of audio, speakers with the exact same sized tweeters and woofers can still manage to sound drastically different. I guess I'm just hoping someone will either affirm my existing notions or smack me upside the head and say "no you idiot, these speakers are obviously garbage and here's why". I'm sure I'll be happy with pretty much anything seeing as how I thought the Z313 was good enough to buy it twice, but it would be excellent to hear a professional's take on this.
I don't suppose you really know until they're tested, so I'd say if you're serious about getting your first set of proper speakers then get a pair that's been measured by Amir already, or wait for one of your choice to be measured. In terms of those speakers, I'm certainly not an expert on speaker design but my initial impression is they look a bit gimmicky and a little unconventional, so I could certainly imagine some fundamental problems with the acoustics re directivity and crossovers, but that's just a feeling, they'd have to be measured. Make your first foray into proper speakers be a good one, buy some that have been measured here.

Budget speakers like the Edifier R1700BT and Presonus 3.5 which have been topping the Amazon sales list the past years. Should be interesting to measure them, sooo many people across the globe are using them.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget speakers like the Edifier R1700BT and Presonus 3.5 which have been topping the Amazon sales list the past years. Should be interesting to measure them, sooo many people across the globe are using them.
Erin just measured the 3.5, bad without EQ.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Cerwin-Vega XLS-6, $125/each:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JH4L1G/

SoundStage/NRC has measurements of the 3-way 15” XLS-215, listening window not that great, but further off-axis wasn’t bad:

_____
$350/each is the 3-way 12“ tower of their LS line:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPDMXLC/

Also $350/each, their XLS-28:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JGZ9RC/

They usually consolidate their listings so reviews are shared, but all have 4.5/5 stars or higher.
Was looking at these earlier today thinking, they can't be good, so would be good to know.

franspambot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio Minx XL Flagship Speakers.
cam-minxxl-wht.jpg

$150 factory refurbished. Incredible fit and finish for the money. 50Hz - 22 kHz freq. response.

Given the great company reputation, could these $150 speakers give the $1600 Dynaudio Evoke 10s a run for their money?

Stereo.de has some super basic measurements. It seems that room modes dominate in them, but performance seems curiously comparable. Small dip between 2-3kHz and higher top end are the biggest differences.
evoke.jpg

EVOKE 10
cambridge.jpg

CAMBRIDGE

And to further make my case, here are some super quick in-room measurements comparing the Evoke 10s to Revel M16s.

M16 V EVOKE10.jpg

And, importantly, it looks as good or better than the Dynaudio X14 reviewed here. So, in a way, for me this speaker is as much about the latter company as it is about Cambridge Audio.

Dynaudio X14 Measurements Spinorama CEA-2035 early Window reflections Frequency Response.png

If I didn't have a pair of SP-BS22-LRs to play around with, I would have already sent these in to Amir.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254491579122?hash=item3b40e152f2:g:ZUMAAOSwaU5eKxZv

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #1,517
I donated Amir. I would love for you to test the T50. I will send you one if you want. They are such a good sounding speaker to me and I have had much,much more expensive ones.
Thanks Mike. Please start a conversation with me on how you donated so I can keep track of it. Meanwhile, I ordered it from Amazon because shipping cost will be a lot relative to its cost.

PIONEER DJ VM-50

Tweeter :1-inch (25 mm) SILK soft dome
Woofer :5.25-inch (133 mm) ARAMID cone
Amplifier Output :Class D with 96kHz DSP - LF: 30 W / 4 Ω - HF: 30 W / 4 Ω
Frequency Range 40 Hz - 36 kHz Hz
Maximum Sound Pressure 107 dB

I'm curious how they managed to get so low hertz...the price is 190€ unit!
So it would be a good opportunity for measurement.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #1,520
Top Bottom