• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Nango

Major Contributor
Hurry up @amirm with all these testings. Musk's @Neuralink which transmits music directly into the brain is coming by September 20, .....is this the beginning of the end of your site (among other industries)???

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bring attention again to HSU:

HSU's offering look interesting.

HB-1 Horn Speaker: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
$160 + $30 shipping per speaker for black:

index.php

More expensive model CCB-8: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html
$370 + $50 per speaker for black.

index.php
HB-1 MK2
http://stereomojo.com/HSU HB1 Mk2 Speaker Review/HSUHB1Mk2SpeakerReview.htm

0° & 15°:
1595535434593.jpeg

0° & 30°:
1595535458697.jpeg

0° & 45°:
1595535495755.jpeg

CCB-8
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/ccb-8-bookshelf
1595535548449.jpeg

Neither are designed for 0° axis toe-in, so keep that in mind. That said, I’d much rather see Chane & HTD L3 speakers measured over an HSU one.

lucadoc

I know it's above the budget but I'd like to see the review of Revel F206, maybe with a suggestion of subwoofer

posvibes

I purchased the Mistral Audio LS3/5a knock off a couple of years ago.

I have never heard an original LS3/5a.

The Mistral is to my ears a very nice and competent sounding speaker, not just for its price.

I'd be interested to know how it measures in it's own right, how it measures against an original LS3/5a.

The price seems to have gone through the roof of late, crazily.

jcebedo11

Anyone measured the Alesis Monitor One? These are super cheap on craigslist. Ive seen them go for $50. I wonder what they sound like.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is the smaller/cheaper Tannoy Gold 5 within your budget?
Seeing how it costs $250 for just one it is outside of my budget. They don't seem very popular. Is it because they are new?

olymind1

Seeing how it costs $250 for just one it is outside of my budget. They don't seem very popular. Is it because they are new?
Fairly new, yes. Here in Europe, it costs 166 € per piece.

RCF Ayra Pro 5 (157 € per piece) also looks good on paper, they are advertised as "0° phase response" monitors/speakers, like the Tannoy Gold coaxials as "class-leading phase coherence".

If you're interested both company provides Frequency Response, Beamwidth and Polar measurents about their products:
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0C2B/Tannoy_GOLD 5 P0C2B_Product Information Document.pdf
https://www.rcf.it/c/document_libra...00a-00a8-4d18-9c62-c67c065db75a&groupId=20195

There is Thomann in the US too: https://www.thomannmusic.com/tannoy_gold_5.htm 155$ per piece and 145$ for the Ayra Pro 5: https://www.thomannmusic.com/rcf_ayra_pro5.htm

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revel M126Be and M106 will be really interesting. I know the M126Be is pushing the definition of 'budget', but I am very curious to know how two nearly identical speakers with different drivers will compare.

+1. Since we have the reviews for M16 and M106, it would great to get an idea of what the M126Be brings to the table given it is priced at 2X of M106.

aac

Can we have some portable speakers measured? Something like jbl charge. They are really popular, would be interesting to see.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can we have some portable speakers measured? Something like jbl charge. They are really popular, would be interesting to see.
I think Amir needs auxiliar-in for speaker testing. Lots of portable speakers are Bluetooth only.

Putter

Forum Donor

I've heard a few including the Charge and a Bose (yes a Bose) and been impressed. Are they high fidelity? Of course not! My impression is that they have a boosted mid bass (150-300hz?) which leave an impression of bass similar to what the English used to do with minispeakers. However the portability is an important factor for those who want to take the music with them.

escape2

I think Amir needs auxiliar-in for speaker testing. Lots of portable speakers are Bluetooth only.
Of the three portable/BT speakers I own (Anker Soundcore Mini, JBL Charge 3, JBL Xtreme), all three have 3.5mm aux input. I think most of them do.

The mid-bass boost on the Xtreme is insane - to the point where it's uncomfortable indoors. It sounds fine outdoors, though. For indoors, I actually prefer the sound of JBL Charge 3 as the bass sounds a lot more natural.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
B&W 705 S2.

There's a review posted on Soundstage, which includes a direct comparison to the Revel M106. The reviewer, Diego Estan, liked the B&W's so much he bought a pair for himself:

"The biggest difference was in the treble. Through the Revels, the cymbal crashes in “Hells Bells” sounded recessed and timid; through the B&Ws, they sounded more forward, free, and alive. With the Revels the treble also had less presence and extension. These differences weren’t subtle.

Differences in the midrange, as I focused on voices, were less obvious. The lead vocal in Blue Rodeo’s “Bad Timing” had slightly more presence through the M106es, but wasn’t as smooth as through the 705 S2s. In this track, there are a couple of moments when Jim Cuddy, perhaps leaning in too close to the mike, belts out a lyric that gives the sound an edge or glare that makes me wince, no matter what speakers I hear it through. I’m not sure why this occurs (it may be exacerbated by the size of my room), but what I am sure about is that the Revels made me wince quite a bit more than the B&Ws did. The Revels did, however, manage to score a point against the B&Ws. This and other recordings I played sounded a bit sibilant through the B&Ws, but the Revels had this aspect of the sound completely under control, with no sibilance to speak of.

The M106’s midrange had a bit more body with Colin James’s cover of “These Arms of Mine,” but the B&W’s midrange had more detail in James’s upper vocal register. The realism of the plucked acoustic guitar was slightly greater with the B&Ws, the guitar sounding smoother while providing more sparkle, presence, and structure. I also give the nod to the B&Ws with women’s voices -- with the Revels, the extra body I’d heard in James’s voice came across as a small degree of chestiness in Tracy Chapman’s voice in “Give Me One Reason,” reminding me that the sound was indeed coming from speaker cabinets. But the B&Ws “disappeared” again, reproducing Chapman’s voice with no hint of congestion, chestiness, or nasality. All I heard was a beautiful female voice, floating freely between the speakers. All in all, unless the singer was recorded in a way that emphasizes sibilants, I give the edge to the B&W in the midrange. But with sibilant-sounding recordings, give me the Revels -- listening to excessive sibilance can be grating."

escape2

B&W 705 S2.

There's a review posted on Soundstage, which includes a direct comparison to the Revel M106. The reviewer, Diego Estan, liked the B&W's so much he bought a pair for himself:

"The biggest difference was in the treble."
As with most other B&W speakers, they have elevated treble. Some like it, some don't.

fr_on1530.png

Top Bottom