• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would really love to see JBL Stage A130 review. I have listened to it once and it sounds surprisingly normal, unlike most <$200 speaker that always has some weird sound to it. One reviewer even says that it sounds better than Elac Debut B6.2 (purely subjective though).
JBL Stage A130 looks exactly like JBL Studio 230 with worse build quality, smaller woofer, and electrolytic caps for $200 (in my country).
The Stereophile measurements of the towers are really good (imaging is fantastic, the ok-axis is a bit bright though).
What I want to see is how the different woofer sizes affect the crossover region (as the tweeter waveguides states the same I believe), the Stage has 3 tower models if I’m not mistaken.

OK, I am certainly interested! The EON 615 is like a poor man's JBL M2 :)
If they do not have any mayor issues (having some tiny bass boost is not an issue), I would turn their amp gain to the max and connect to a Denon X3700 for a no-nonsense home theater & surround music cave. My wife even commented that she likes the shape of the wave-guide on the woofer.

Realistically though I don't have space for them, even for the 12" version. 8" is about as big as I can fit (and need) in my room.
Also they are likely terrible in terms of idle hissing - JBL can't even make the reference 705P silent like a Neumann or Genelec. So this one is probably very rough in the DSP and Amp department.

I'd be interested in the Eon as well!

I'd be very interested in seeing the XTZ spirit s 4 tested as well. XTZ' showroom is almost next to me, but I can't find any reviews of them that seem trustworthy - so I haven't actually bought any speakers from them over the years.
Did you try the 99.36 series?

Did you try the 99.36 series?
No sorry, at least not in a setting that would resemble a home listening experience.

I've been thinking of visiting several times, but I just haven't gotten around to doing so.

Are there any Wharfedale speakers in the review pipeline? I've got a pair of Diamond 10.1s that I just dug out and hooked up to my bedroom system and I am thoroughly enjoying them. I'm curious how they stack up to some of these other speakers.

I'd be very interested in seeing the XTZ spirit s 4 tested as well. XTZ' showroom is almost next to me, but I can't find any reviews of them that seem trustworthy - so I haven't actually bought any speakers from them over the years.
They certainly could be very good, the ingredients look promising. Claimed flat on axis response, waveguide, solid cabinet. No audiophilie nonsense on the website and they even encourage you to measure response in your room and EQ accordingly. Now they only need to nail the hard part, implementation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #854
How about Behringer 2031A, JBL 308P and Tannoy GOLD 8 ?
308p is here to be tested. And a Behringer although the model escapes me. Tannoy is too expensive for my budget.

Cahudson42

Addicted to Fun and Learning
R263? Maybe next time it's on sale for $199? Really curious if the three way has less distortion than the R162...

Great on the recent expansion of distortion measured in the latest test!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #857
R263? Maybe next time it's on sale for $199? Really curious if the three way has less distortion than the R162...
I have a 253 already. Let me test that before I buy more. :)

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any Wharfedale speakers in the review pipeline? I've got a pair of Diamond 10.1s that I just dug out and hooked up to my bedroom system and I am thoroughly enjoying them. I'm curious how they stack up to some of these other speakers.
Stereophile measured one of the Diamond models (the 200 I think; and I think the XXX labeled models came before the XX.X labeled models).