• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Willem

Major Contributor
That does not bode well. Anyway, their small HTS7 is 475 pounds each, i.e. some 600 dollars including VAT. Not sure what the US price would be. If they were to sound decent it might be an attractive solution for those in small studios with solid walls, and as I said, there is preciously little choice on the market if this is what you need. A few years ago I was briefly living for work in an expensive studio in the sixth arrondissement in Paris. It was elegant and elegantly furnished, but I would not have had the space for standmount speakers. I used my Tivoli Model Two, my now faithful company on such secondments. The same neigbourhood had fancy furniture stores with expensive folding beds, ultra compact kitchenettes etc. There is a market for that sort of stuff if a small studio costs you a million. I am glad my own house in the Netherlands has a lot more space, and enough for proper speakers.

ttimer

Having any of the DALI speakers measured would be super interesting. Their design philosophy relies on extremely wide dispersion and they should be listenend to off-axis (angled straight into the room, not towards the listener). From existing measurements, they often have slightly elevated treble on-axis, which goes flat off-axis.

I would guess that this makes them quite easy to position, but also quite room-dependent. In some sense their intentions are the complete opposite of Gradient, who try to take the room out of the equation and haeavily emphasize direct sound.

How about DALI Oberon 3, can get it for 400-500 Euro

SDX-LV

Interested in the Magnepan LRS. I'm curious how a panel speaker spinorama would measure on the Klippel.
@pierre has processed measurements of some electrostats from anechoic measurements in the Spinorama collections also Harman did measure some Martin Logans with amazing results :) The data is published in the spinorama index.

Note, basically some electrostats are a disaster, but the good ones can be very impressive... EXCEPT they are so directional that you can only get the great sound in one and only spot in the room - could as well just wearing great headphones :) + good luck finding which ones are actually good.

Riversquirrel

Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II
$70 on Amazon. Active speakers.
I use these with my gaming pc setup. Absolutely no chance they measure well. Very sharp in the high end and the bass audibly distorts at a low volume. Good enough for youtube/podcasts if you turn down the bass and treble knobs a bit, and they dont audibly hiss like a lot of cheaper speakers as long as you keep the volume low-medium. Their best feature is their size, they don't take up much room on the desk at all.

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
Paradigm Mini Monitor, list is 300 a pair but on sale for 250 or sometimes. They sound amazing on cheap amps and expensive amps. I bought a pair and love them on anything I put them on and a few friends have even bought them since hearing mine.

riker1384

Paradigm Mini Monitor, list is 300 a pair but on sale for 250 or sometimes. They sound amazing on cheap amps and expensive amps. I bought a pair and love them on anything I put them on and a few friends have even bought them since hearing mine.
There are a bunch of different versions of that, and of the other various Paradigm models.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Older now, but seriously good. I know it won't happen, but the Energy C5 gets my honourable mention. Those speakers punch past their weight without a doubt.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Not to be too politically correct, but it is actually not great to refer to people as retarded as the use of the label retarded has a very long and profound history of stigmatizing and denigrating people who suffer from developmental impairment and as such is actually offensive.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gvl

Major Contributor
I offered Amir a Monitor Audio RS6 for review when he has time. They're over 10 years old but still sound great to me!

I just picked a nice pair from a neighbor, would be interested to see them tested in addition to the Stereophile review. I like them so far and they likely will be replacing a pair of Klipsch Fortes which I had for a while. The RS6s are cleaner sounding but a tad boomy on some material, need to play with room correction or port plugs. They do sound surprisingly big being 1/3rd the size of the Fortes.

Digital Mastering System

I'd really like to see JBL LSR 32 reviewed or LSR6332. They are a very nice speaker for not too much money in the used market.

jaatre

Mackie MR524/MR624 please...! For the price they're known to outperform the Adam T5V, Yamahas, JBLs and Rokits of equivalent size.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Mackie MR524/MR624 please...! For the price they're known to outperform the Adam T5V, Yamahas, JBLs and Rokits of equivalent size.
More accurately you could say ... some people feel they outperform the Adam T5V, Yamahas, .... I would ask who knows they outperform the other brands listed and how was this knowledge arrived at? If it is from subjective listening impressions I am not sure it has anything to do with performance as that is best assessed by measurements. Listening is so subjective anyway, but add in room effects and you are now dealing with two interactional factors.

I agree, those would be interesting to see measured.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd really like to see JBL LSR 32 reviewed or LSR6332. They are a very nice speaker for not too much money in the used market.
The former seems to be $700 on ebay so not cheap. No for me anyway. :)

Maybe we can get out resident JBL fan @GXAlan talked into buying them. :D

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

my suggestions would be:
Adam Audio T5V
Audio Pro A36
IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor

It would also be very interesting if some speaker with much narrower directivity are tested like good PA Speaker. E.g. the JBL Eon or plenty other cheaper but good PA speaker. They should provide a different stereo signature. In mono it will suck, but at higher listening distances with stereo higher directivity does have some significant advantages. More "clear" but less "enveloping" sound.

Not exactly budget but worth the price ;)
Musikelektronik Geithain RL 901K

Also interesting but not cheap
Devialet Phantom Premier Gold

Best
Thomas

Top Bottom