• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be the SMSL/Topping of speakers
SMSL is releasing a passive desktop speaker (4.5” driver); but the list price is likely ~$700. However, it’s using Wavecor drivers and it has a badge on the baffle that states “Powered by Wavecor”, so maybe Wavecor is giving a deep discount, but I still would assume $500 minimum.
202006161527055011.jpg

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SMSL is releasing a passive desktop speaker (4.5” driver); but the list price is likely ~$700. However, it’s using Wavecor drivers and it has a badge on the baffle that states “Powered by Wavecor”, so maybe Wavecor is giving a deep discount, but I still would assume $500 minimum.
202006161527055011.jpg
Oh thanks, hadn't seen this. Very interesting to see how they'll perform!

Darvis

Magnepans especially lrs and .7
I know it's an audiophile trope to say this but I really feel that Magnepan speakers, especially the cheapest, compare to speakers many times their price. I'm sure they have their flaws, but it's flaws they share with speakers many times their price :)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ehabheikal

I know it's an audiophile trope to say this but I really feel that Magnepan speakers, especially the cheapest, compare to speakers many times their price. I'm sure they have their flaws, but it's flaws they share with speakers many times their price :)

I have maggies that i bought used since they are not really available in my country. Running them from basx emotiva amp, getting the audiophile nagging feeling that getting an hypex nc400 would really improve my system.
And yes i also have bought a used tower paradigm Signature speaker that when new costs half an order of magnitude more maybe and the maggies hold their own except for the bass of the paradigm which is absolutely fantastic.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel sorry for anyone who has bought those. Here is NoAudiophile’s measurements of the CR3, which I assume is decently close to the CR4:

Yeah, I saw that review too. I agree it's most likely they're really bad, I just think publicly documenting that a popular(recommended!) product actually sucks is a good public service :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK, ordered the Edifier.
The R1280T is a very popular model and going to bring a lot of traffic in, smart choice. I'm sure it's not a great speaker in absolute terms but might be hard to beat in the sub $100 category.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are linking to CR5BT. Do you mean that or CR4BT? And is there a difference between BT version and not? If not, I rather get it without to save money. :)

I'm 99.99% sure the speakers are the same, just with different electronics. And you're right, here's the correct link to the CR4.

Willem

Major Contributor
For on the wall speakers ATC have some potentially serious contenders. I have seen neither measurements nor have I heard them. Surprisingly enough on the wall speakers are a rare breed, even in Europe where houses tend to have solid walls that effectively exclude in-wall speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For on the wall speakers ATC have some potentially serious contenders. I have seen neither measurements nor have I heard them. Surprisingly enough on the wall speakers are a rare breed, even in Europe where houses tend to have solid walls that effectively exclude in-wall speakers.
$2,000 for on the wall speaker???

I just finished measuring their SCM19. I will probably post tomorrow or the day after. Let's get through that before we send them more money. :)

Top Bottom