• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Ericglo

I think some have mentioned Monoprice. I listened to the demo at Cedia IIRC two years ago and thought it was pretty good for the price. I don't recall the speaker model, but anyone of them would be interesting to see how they measure.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Edifier stuff. Theyre cheap but relatively popular in eu shops as theyre constantly sold out at the time of purchase which was years ago. The model i have Edifier R2800. Its around 200 eur and are powered. Theyre way bigger than in the pictures. Sounds good to me however theyre my only reference so *hands in the air*

These speakers, in all forms seam to dominate Amazon purchases. +1 on this.

I for one want to see a budget hero.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1...ements=p_4:Edifier&s=receiver-speakers&sr=1-2

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if they are making these as they are impossible to find online.
They’re website allows you to order them (they state $650), but in their site you have to inout your room dimensions and the amplifier you are using as part of the order, so they can consult you if it won’t be a good fit.

Stereophile measurements
While still poor, the horizontal directivity is better than it looks due to the 3kHz peaking offsetting the 3kHz dip on-axis.

Haint

I don't know if they are making these as they are impossible to find online.

I think they only sell direct and through vetted dealers. Tacoma WA appears to have 1 dealer called "Definitive Audio" or "Advanced Audio Solutions" (name change?). Not sure if it lets you complete the whole process online, but here's Magnepan's direct order form.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think they only sell direct and through vetted dealers. Tacoma WA has 1 dealer. Not sure if it lets you complete the whole process online, but here's their online form.
Yeh, I saw all that. Way too much effort to sell a cheap speaker.

A.West

Forum Donor
Monolith by Monoprice THX-365C THX Certified Ultra Center Channel Speaker.
I just replaced a more expensive center speaker with this one, and it sounds good.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioholics has measurements.
My vote is to first cover the very popular models, as such, a KRK Rokit model would be my suggestion. Very popular model line, and right now only the Princeton lab has measurements of one of their models.
iLoud is newer but picking up in popularity, especially as the MTM versions come with a measurement mic (actually 2, as you buy the speakers separate and each has a mic; odd) and uses Anthem’s ARC.

Then, measure the popular non-studio powered speakers, such as Edifier, Kanto, AudioEngine, and Fluance.

I own the Kanto YU5 (got it $100 off) and I like it quite a bit, the YU6 was rated a Sound&Vision Top Pick, and their measurements look decent, it’s been my go to recommendation for those in that market (<$500, optical in & Bluetooth, remote control, and subwoofer output).

Then down the line, cover the mass market portable Bluetooth and computer speakers. This thing has >53,000 reviews on Amazon and I’ve never even heard of it.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything that can be bought at Best Buy, B&W, KEF, Martin Logan....

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
$150/pair is the sucker price. The 5 channel bundle with 2x 803's, 2x 801's, and 81 center is only $199, and has been for many months. No idea how good they are spinorama wise, but IIRC JoeNTell measured a significant treble lift incline from 1-2kHz to 20kHz. I don't think these are going to be BS22 killers, but who knows, maybe with EQ or tone controls they could be.
I tried these. Did not like them at all. Actually could not believe the good reviews. I have many other budget speakers around here and these were stand out poor.

Top Bottom