• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

TimVG

Major Contributor
You can see the sound power problems from the Dynaudio monitors already optically (missing waveguides) and it is confirmed at the measurements, for example from Bob Katz, here his listening position measurements without and with correction with his ex Genelec 8260 monitors

View attachment 55974
(source of measurements: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-one)

and his later top of the line huge Dynaudio Evidence M5P monitors which he unfortunately even EQed to the same target curve which made more sense on his ex Genelec

View attachment 55975
(source of measurements: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-17-perfecting-perfection)

/facepalm

That's a great way to embedd a permanent EQ filer over everything mastered in that studio. I don't care how knowledgeable he is in terms of mastering, this is stupid.

geoemm

Well, it seems they have sent a bunch of free loaners to online youtubers so I would not call any of those sources reliable.

With tax it costs $600 shipped to me from Amazon so not cheap. Looking at the design, I doubt that it will perform well.
Its less than 400 euro in EU, and almost everything is expensive here compared to US.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
/facepalm

That's a great way to embedd a permanent EQ filer over everything mastered in that studio. I don't care how knowledgeable he is in terms of mastering, this is stupid.
Not necessarily, people adjust to what they're used to. Plenty of hit records have been mixed on NS-10s and thankfully they don't sound like the NS-10 FR curve. Most "pop hit" style commercial music is unlistenable to me on flat monitors, and if I were a popular mastering engineer asked to hit that kind of target mix I would probably want to roll my own EQ curve just to save my sanity.

Speaking of budget Yamaha speakers... Yamaha HS8. These have been way popular in project studios for years now, and they should resolve some of the bass-shy nature of the HS5s.

Still more interested in JBL LSR308P MKII or the PreSonus Eris series.

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Not necessarily, people adjust to what they're used to. Plenty of hit records have been mixed on NS-10s and thankfully they don't sound like the NS-10 FR curve.

That's the problem isn't it. They get used to that curve (God knows what the actual anechoic response curve would look like with the EQ applied) - and when subsequently played back on a more neutral system, it's just not correct.

And while the NS10 was (is) often used for mixing on the console, it's never been used for mastering purposes. I also believe NS10s don't have a place in a modern recording facility if you're wondering.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
That's the problem isn't it. They get used to that curve (God knows what the actual anechoic response curve would look like with the EQ applied) - and when subsequently played back on a more neutral system, it's just not correct.

And while the NS10 was (is) often used for mixing on the console, it's never been used for mastering purposes. I also believe NS10s don't have a place in a modern recording facility if you're wondering.
They're a reference speaker like the Auratone/Avantone MixCube, though some people did learn to churn out pretty good mixes on them. I definitely agree that a NS10 should never be used for mastering. With -3 dB at 175 Hz (depending on who's measuring), the bass would be left up to your imagination. :D

Tangband

Major Contributor
Amirm, Iˋm waiting for the interesting review of Jbl 530 . When is it coming ?
Keep up the good work.:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm, Iˋm waiting for the interesting review of Jbl 530 . When is it coming ?
Keep up the good work.:)
I wanted to iron out issues with bass before testing it. I think I am ready for it soon. :)

Tangband

Major Contributor
I wanted to iron out issues with bass before testing it. I think I am ready for it soon. :)
Thank you for response :)

Nango

Major Contributor
I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.

BOSE!!!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, is it and does it measure really as bad as it's reputation???

They seem to barely even make proper hifi (styled at least?) speakers any more. The closest thing I see on their website is the latest version of the 301.

I don't see the 901 at all, and that used to be their most famous. It's mostly their tiny home theater satellites, 'lifestyle' crap plus some PA stuff.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A couple good budget options would be the Chane A1 and Wharfedale Diamond 220, I've had both in the past and both sounded very good (and very similar) for the price.

bequietjk

Presonus Eris E5!
1585537232307.png

Putter

Forum Donor
I would also be interested in your testing the JBL Stage A130 which has a waveguide. The interest is because I recently picked up a pair of JBL E20's at a thrift (before they closed due to CoVid). The E20's are also a waveguide based 5.25 woofer design and they have impressed me with their imaging and naturalness. They are being used with Denon AVR 1610 receiver with Audyssey MultEq engaged and Dynamic EQ on its lowest setting of -15db and with a sub for the low end. They list as $300 currently selling for $210.

1585537572869.png1585537590928.png1585537626877.png

Top Bottom