• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I haven't yet heard about the legendary Boston Lynnfield 300L ? :confused:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
They are the HiVi H6, 6.5", 3-way powered speakers that also have build-in BlueTooth and Wifi receiver with DSP. Not exactly cheap at RMB5680 (~US$810 MSRP), though I see it listed at RMB4299 (US$613) for the pair.
Looks like those are marketed in the US as the Swans H6 for $799.99 MSRP.

Didn't know Swans was still around. Their M10 and M200MKII 2.1 speaker sets were a very popular flavor of the month around 10 years ago.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Didn't know Swans was still around. Their M10 and M200MKII 2.1 speaker sets were a very popular flavor of the month around 10 years ago.

Looks like Hivi and Swans are one and the same, the bottom of the Swans webpage reads "Hivi Inc (USA) 2020 "

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Swan M10 was the very first speaker set I ever bought =] I'd been in the headphone world for a few years but I've been hooked ever since.

Came across these on Taobao while searching for some other stuff there.

View attachment 54175

They are the HiVi H6, 6.5", 3-way powered speakers that also have build-in BlueTooth and Wifi receiver with DSP. Not exactly cheap at RMB5680 (~US$810 MSRP), though I see it listed at RMB4299 (US$613) for the pair.

What caught my attention really was the specified 38hz-20khz (+/-3dB Free Space) and measurement charts for FR and SPL.
Very, very curious if these are actually real measurements. If the directivity is decent, these could be great value speakers.

View attachment 54176

Huh, manufacturer graphs seem quite detailed and don't have ridiculous scaling! Graphs don't look too smoothed but you never know what shenanigans manufacturers are pulling either.

Looks like an interesting design, and I kinda dig the simple 3-way look. I might be tempted to reach out to them too.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Came across these on Taobao while searching for some other stuff there.

View attachment 54175

What caught my attention really was the specified 38hz-20khz (+/-3dB Free Space) and measurement charts for FR and SPL.
Very, very curious if these are actually real measurements. If the directivity is decent, these could be great value speakers.

View attachment 54176

Judging by this graph directivity does look pretty decent:

Capture.JPG

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 54207
Nice, you see a little broadening of the directivity around 3 kHz when probably the tweeter without takes over and am sure the vertical directivity won't be as great, but if these measurements are true a really nice bargain to try.

As I had written in this thread using a three way configuration with a 2" mid is a quite effective old school way to make loudspeakers with decent directivity without needing to use waveguides.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Nice, you see a little broadening of the directivity around 3 kHz when probably the tweeter without takes over and am sure the vertical directivity won't be as great, but if these measurements are true a really nice bargain to try.

Modern ribbon tweeters have pretty decent vertical directivity, maybe this one also does.

More info about speaker here.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Modern ribbon tweeters have pretty decent vertical directivity, maybe this one also does.
Yes, if they are not too tall, but still have the inherent lobing problems of a multiway non coaxial which are luckily not perceived as strongly as horizontal problems.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

View attachment 54207

Yes, the horizontal directivity looks pretty smooth and even up to maybe 30~40°. Indeed if its near accurate, would make for a pretty compelling buy.

Apparently Hivi makes a very similarly configured DIY kit that has rave reviews on Amazon.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Put to bed the controversy whether Infinity 162s are a lower cost Revel. Test the 162 while it still is on closeout at Harmon for $160/pair

Tangband

Major Contributor
A JBL 530 is coming for review.
When ?
Looking forward very much for the review.
This is my own measurements 1,3 meter from the loudspeaker .
(The peak at 3600 Hz depends entirely on the microphone thats been used.)

Attachments

• 6C88B79A-9A31-4BAD-A250-F69AE267AAD3.jpeg
    6C88B79A-9A31-4BAD-A250-F69AE267AAD3.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

gr-e

When ?
Looking forward very much for the review.
This is my own measurements 1,3 meter from the loudspeaker .
(The peak at 3600 Hz depends entirely on the microphone thats been used.)
Here's your measurement compared with mine @1m between woofer and tweeter. However, I get a flatter FR on the tweeter axis

Attachments

• comp.png
    comp.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 247

Silou

Canton GLE 416.2
Multiple of these might work well in a home theatre with an acoustic screen. Canton claims that they can play down to 45Hz, but I really doubt that.

vert

Forum Donor
Your tests so far have been extremely informative. In retrospect I'm glad I went for some Paradigms rather than Klipschs last year for a similar budget. That's assuming Paradigms are as good as their methodology promises, but I'm perfectly happy with them so far. So far JBL and Revel have held their promise. The logical upgrade for me would be in the $700-1000 range and you've already done two conclusive Revel and Elac tests in that range. Most of all you've established that $1000 can indeed get you state-of-the-art speakers, contrary to widespread audiophile legend. I'd be interested in tests of European brands such as Triangle, Focal, System Audio, Dali, Dynaudio, Piega, Phonar... simply out of curiosity, and those may not be widely available in the US. As far as I'm concerned if I decided to "upgrade" I'd simply go with some Revels, or anything equivalent you've tested at that time, and call it a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom