• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What audio system do you own?

Eddy

There is this thread "What headphone(s) do you own ?" with many posts. Maybe a similar thread related to the complete audio system might be of general interest. I have not found another thread covering this. At least I would be curious...

Apart from the gear itself, the distance from speakers to the listening position and the size of the room would be interesting.

Maybe I start hoping a few of you will follow :)
I also included the cabling although I don't think it matters much.

Distance from speakers: 1,1 m
Room size: 2x3 m (yes, very small... it's just the guest room... the living room is for the family ;))

Attachments

• Hifi-setup.png
    Hifi-setup.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 163

Berlin

Raspberry Pi 4 -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> boXem Arthur 3409/N2 -> ATC SCM 40

Distance between speakers: 2,9 m
Distance between each speaker and LP: 2,9 m

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Raspberry Pi 4 (Volumio) -> miniDSP Flex (w/Dirac) -> Apollon NCMP400 -> Emotiva Airmotiv T1 Speakers

Sounds good for the money to me. I could use a better room though.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiolab CDT6000 CD transport into a Topping E30 into a Philips AH280 pre-amp into a Krell KSA50S into JM Lab Focal Electra 926

Room is 29' by 12', listening distance to speakers about 18'. If I listen on axis which I usually don't.

Amplification and loudspeakers were bought second hand to keep costs down. (Actually the 'speakers are 3rd hand and I suspect the pre-amp has had numerous owners in its forty year life. The owner prior to me had some components updated and the gain reduced for better matching to a 2V source).

Transport and DAC I bought brand new to get maximum longevity, and they are not expensive anyway.

Pogre

I have 5.1, all Ascend Acoustics Ribbon speakers, 2 Hsu VTF-3 MK5s up front and 1 RBH SV-1212NR sub nearfield in a 17' x 35' room with additional openings.

Marantz SR6011 with a Monolith 7 amplifier for processing and power and a MiniDSP 2x4HD for the subs. PC, Xbox 1X and Firestick for streaming and music. I use foobar and Plex for playing my digital files.

*Edit: I have 10' between my main speakers and sit ~14.5' from them. No fancy cables or interconnects. Mainly Monoprice fare.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sources:

Raspberry Pi -> Benchmark Dac 2L (controlled via iphone or ipad)
Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable with Benz Micro Ebony L Cartridge.

Amplification:

Conrad Johnson Premier 12 tube monoblocks, Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS2 tube preamp, Benchmark LA4 preamp (I switch between the Benchmark and CJ preamp when desired).

Speakers:

Thiel CS 2.7
Joseph Audio Perspective.
(Also Spendor S3/5s).

Cabling:
Whatever does the job. (e.g. Belden 10 awg speaker cables running from my source room to my speaker room).

Spacing of speakers is usually between 7 - 8 feet apart, listening distance usually around 7 feet.

D

Deleted member 46664

Homebrew HTPC ... ASRock mini-itx, 8gb ram, 150gb SSD, 2tb HDD.
Aiyima A07
Pioneer SP-FS-52 speakers
Much modified Dayton T652 speakers ... 2 way crossover, box padding, constraining layer damping, binding posts

Custom HTPC.jpg

system 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phrenzy

Raspberry Pi 4 with HifiBerry Digi2 Pro hat
Denafrips Ares II DAC
Schiit Freya + preamp
dbx 2231 eq
dbx 223xs crossover
SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer
Aiyima A07 amplifier
GR-Research Desktop Mini speakers
Benchmark Media XLR cables throughout

I am in the middle of starting with a basic system and converting to an end-game system. My idea is to purchase items that will always have a place in my home. I started with the Pi4, a hat, the speakers, and the Aiyima. The speakers were a good first step into building my own speakers. Mistakes were made, but they will work nicely in my workshop when they finally arrive there.

I want a great system with just a little bit of 'fairy dust.' That is why I got the tube preamp, and the RtR DAC. I believe that the best interconnects sound better than the worst. But I didn't want to buy some 'magic bean' $500 interconnects. I felt that the company that makes the cleanest amp in the world probably makes good cables. So I was able to buy those and feel confident that I will never need to worry about that again. I also wanted to go with as much XLR cabling as possible.

In time, I'll upgrade the speakers, the subwoofer, and the amp. My biggest debate is should I go with a Purifi amp or a Benchmark amp. Not sure if the ability to rack mount and the extra 4DB of SINAD is worth the cost of admission. Time will tell what I finally decide.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Theatre: Marantz stack: SR7005 receiver, CD6006,BD5005, SimAudio Celeste 4070 for front speakers, Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 and matching Center and Rears(no idea what the models are but they are the matching SF units). Mirage 15” sub.
Stereo: PC, Topping D10 DAC, Grant Fidelity tube pre/phono-P-307, DIY Bookshelf speakers with Scanspeak Revelator drivers, Outlaw Audio 5000, Sony BDP-S580 acting as SACD/CD player.
Bedroom: Arcam Diva AVR350, Onkyo C-7030 CD player, DIY Bookshelf speakers, Sony sub.
Family room: Hafler DH-110 pre and two of DH-220 power amp, Project Essential TT, Onkyo TA-2090 cassette deck, Nakamichi OMS-2A CD player, Mirage OM-6 speakers, DIY sub.
Spare room: TV, DIY bookshelf speakers, anonymous classD amp., Sony sub

Urvile

67115848879__80285C4C-140C-46FB-942F-ECD6CF8D69D8.png

Onkyo TX-NR656
Polk audio reserve r700
Polk audio legend L400
Polk audio HTS 12
LG OLED
Amazon Fire TV Cube
Sony BlueRay player.

egellings

Major Contributor
Except for input sources excluding the vinyl setup, mine is all homebrew, so I have no brand names to offer.

Gdub

Been lurking on ASR for a while - thought this a good time for first post. First off, I'm humbled by the experience and knowledge of the contributors of this forum. I stared setting up my 2.1 system before I found ASR:

ROOM system:
12X12 room with moderate amount floor/wall furnishings. No sound modifications.
Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (glorified Raspberry pi)
Topping D90 SE dac
Topping Pre90 preamp
Topping A90 HP amp
Senn HD 800S and HD 650 HP's
Schitt Lokius (used as my 'loudness' compensator for late night low level listening)
Arcam PA240 amp
Roon Nucleus +
Roon lifetime subscrip
Kef R11 towers
Rel S/510 sub hooked up to amp hi level speaker outs (yes, I am doing that)
Harmony companion remote (so I don't have to ultra accurately point the Topping remote across the room)

DESKTOP system:
Imac
Topping E50 dac
Topping L50 HP amp
Adam A7X monitors
Adam Sub10 Mk2

Stream 99% of music: Tidal, Apple Music +, internet radio on Pro-ject Volumio interface.
Not a whisper of background noise/hiss in Room system with ear right up to speaker

Next purchase: minidsp SHD to have parallel pathway in Room system to integrate DSP.

Am happy with where it all is, but welcome any advice/comments from those much smarter than me -
I know there are several 'ASR non-preferred' components I have. wonder if I'm overlooking any obvious flaws to correct in the search for better SQ and if making a good choice for planned DSP.

Grateful for this forum.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Waxx

Major Contributor
1976 mint Technics SL1500 turntable with Audio Technica AT-VM95EN cell
Intel NUC pc as media player (but custom config and tuned for music) running Win 10 as OS and JRiver as media software and using an Qnap RAID system as storage space for my music (Raid is in an other room hidden in a cupboard).
Cambridge DacMagic 100 as dac and cheap generic dab radio as DAB and web streamer (but going digital to dab).

1983 Luxman CP-2 (stock but the caps) as preamplifier, but working on a diy replacement. Prima Luna Prolugue 4 with modern Prima Luna (toplevel Shuguang) EL34 tubes (not stock anymore as they died), a pair of Pass ACA running in balanced mono mode and (in my office but connected trough the tape out from the preamp) a Marantz PM5004 integrated as amps. Diy speakers all over the house (and they change quit often from place or get modded), altough i have a good and mint set of old Goodman Mezzo SL's and a pair of Tannoy Reveal bookshelfs in storage. I got also a pair of diy Hypex UcD based amps in storage somewhere.

Upstairs i have an SMSL SA36 amp driving a pair of diy speakers in my workshop mostly playing from an old laptop trough a Steinberg UR22 soundcard. And in my kitchen i got some old small Philips 22RH423 speakers with a very cheap chinese bleutooth amp (don't remember the name) that i drive with my iphone. I only use it while cooking when sound is not that crucial as cooking makes a lot of noise (at least when i'm cooking).

cabling is largely diy with decent generic ofc copper multistranded cable and rca or banana plugs (depending on the application). OFC copper is only because it oxidize much slower than other copper, it does not matter for sound i think. I do have some QED profile interconnects that i bough in a stock sale so cheap that i can't make it myself for the price. Otherwise i wouldn't have bought them.

Scytales

Forum Donor
Here's my setup. A bit old but satisfying.

Attachments

• installation-english.png
    installation-english.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom