• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are your thoughts on Overnight Sensation DIY VS Micca RB42?

'Tusk'

hello everyone and good morning, I am in the market for some speakers as I already have a HD6XX headphone which sounds perfect, but I am still trying to outweigh the benefits I would get from speakers over headphones, but I seem to be very much inclined to getting these speakers. If I do get some speakers I would want them to sound as detailed and accurate as the HD6XX

From research I have done the RB42 and Overnight Sensation comes very close, but I am wondering due to economies of scale if its worth the trouble of building a DIY as opposed to something like the RB42 which already gets perfect review scores from subjective reviewers.

Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 was on my list but I have heard the vocals are not great when compared to HD6XX and also the amp doesn't last it always burns out in 5 years

maxxevv

Major Contributor
No experience with either but the Mica's don't look hard to drive at all at 83dB SPL , 1W/1meter. A 50~75W /channel amp is probably good enough to drive it plenty loud for a small room. That 50Hz lower frequency drop off might not be so good for some music though.

Do note that you need a speaker amp to drive them, headphone amps won't do. So do you have one already ? If not powered monitors might be an option too.

Its pretty hard for small speakers to sound "warmish and mid-centric" like the HD6XX, which I also have. So would suggest to give it a listen if possible before committing.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had an original Klipsch 4.1 promedia, the amp is still going strong. The subs needed to be refoamed around 13 years in. That said, the promedias are a boomy low fi setup.

I seriously doubt either of the budget speakers you've listed could even compare to decent headphones. Aside from both being very inefficient, and likely needing powerful amps to make bass.

I recently got a pair of JBL 104 for my BIL for Xmas. I just heard them for the first time tonight. Hands down they beat the Klipsch promedias across the board, and they were half the price on BF.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have the RB42s. They compare just fine to my decent headphones. Nice speakers...they sound very good with acoustic stuff. They actually have good bass performance down into the 40s and measure within +/-3dbs above 200hz. They are very good for the money. Not familiar with the OS speakers but the measurements I've seen don't seem quite as good.

OP
T

'Tusk'

I have the RB42s. They compare just fine to my decent headphones. Nice speakers...they sound very good with acoustic stuff. They actually have good bass performance down into the 40s and measure within +/-3dbs above 200hz. They are very good for the money. Not familiar with the OS speakers but the measurements I've seen don't seem quite as good.

aah ok thanks I will get the RB42 :)

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think I'm too late to be helpful, but the Overnight Sensations are the far better choice IMO.

The RB42 are a little more compact and put out fatter bass.

However, the OS have much clearer bass and still get down to the 40hz range in-room.

The RB42 are also a little tough to place. Those little woofers really push some air. And since they're rear-ported, you get swamped with bass pretty quickly unless you keep them well away from walls. Ideally they really need to be on stands.

I would still recommend the RB42 in general, as all commercial speakers in this price range will be compromised in some way, but if you have the time and patience for DIY the OS will smoke them IMO.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are your thoughts on Overnight Sensation...

I really didn't think Overnight Sensation was very good, and in fact found it to be the first in a string of long declines for Frank. Released on his new label (DiscReet), the new band was mostly hired studio musicians who were able to tour, so they didn't have the camaraderie or rakishness of the original Mothers of Invention ("This fckng band is starving...and when do we get paid and where is the beer..."), nor that displayed by the later Flo and Eddie fronted group. Also, Frank began taking himself and his music much too seriously, which he really shouldn't have done. IMO he was better when he was not only lampooning the typical rock scene, but laughing at himself. I pretty much lost interest in his work at this time. I don't know about any band or album called RB42, so I can't comment on that. :facepalm:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What are your thoughts on Overnight Sensation...

I really didn't think Overnight Sensation was very good, and in fact found it to be the first in a string of long declines for Frank. Released on his new label (DiscReet), the new band was mostly hired studio musicians who were able to tour, so they didn't have the camaraderie or rakishness of the original Mothers of Invention ("This fckng band is starving...and when do we get paid and where is the beer..."), nor that displayed by the later Flo and Eddie fronted group. Also, Frank began taking himself and his music much too seriously, which he really shouldn't have done. IMO he was better when he was not only lampooning the typical rock scene, but laughing at himself. I pretty much lost interest in his work at this time. I don't know about any band or album called RB42, so I can't comment on that. :facepalm:
I liked it, but only as a one-off. When they kept milking it, I lost interest in the band for some years.

Top Bottom