• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Better yet, IMO, the Leica M3. I briefly owned one: an exquisite all-mechanical, all metal camera.
Leica_M3_mg_3848.jpg
My son has a taste for the vintage -- as a quick perusal of his (now sadly somewhat un-tended) photoblog will confirm. :)

DSC_3777s.jpg

DSC_0759s.jpg

DSC_0005s.jpg

DSC_1649s.jpg

Dmitri

Forum Donor
My son has a taste for the vintage -- as a quick perusal of his (now sadly somewhat un-tended) photoblog will confirm. :)

DSC_3777s.jpg

DSC_0759s.jpg

DSC_0005s.jpg

DSC_1649s.jpg
My father shot with the top Kodak Retina for years, and I now have it. I think it finally died and he bought a Nikkormat, which...though I believe was kind of a budget Nikon...still a beautiful camera.
What’s the website? I’d love to peruse.... ; )

Dmitri

Forum Donor
763B6A92-538A-437C-9277-3E7AF57FCF46.jpeg
And speaking of vintage, I always thought my Dad’s old straight 8 Bell and Howell projector a thing of beauty...with the fins for heat dissipation and the exposed shutter/ lens mechanism. Family movie night = fond memories....

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid about $100 for this Leica 3F camera body, but repairs cost considerably more! Though the design was dated by the late 1950s, I think it's ergonomics compare favorably to prewar and early postwar 35 mm cameras and it remains a pretty good compact shooter.
_DSC3720.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I told you guys this story, right?
I use this in the grad school biotechnology course I teach to illustrate my idea of "innovation" (a buzzword which I dislike vigorously, due to its embrace and misuse by businesses and industries who, at their cores, are as anti-innovation as can be).

View attachment 95106

https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/25/13048668/vanmoof-shipping-damages-dutch-bicycle-design
Not sure where the I-word came from, but If that packaging actually does reduce instances of shipping damage, I'd say it's a brilliant design because it works by changing people's behavior without added cost beyond designing the package graphics and printing.

I was under the impression that innovations were common, but killer solutions to people's needs and wants, far less so.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm kind of torn on this one being great design. I've never gotten to drive one, but did get to sit in one.

It is beautiful. I have to imagine it would drive nicely and be very interesting to have and use. OTOH, as a car for use on the public highway it really is not a good design. Rather than form following function it is more of a function following an impractical form design.

The gull wing doors are the worlds worst idea for a door on a car. For multiple reasons. Then the extra high barrier to entrance and exit is pretty awful ergonomically. Maybe not a big sacrifice once you are in or out, but not great design either.

Now if anyone owning one of these has seen how badly they were duped on the idea, and need to dispose of such an impractical car, just PM me and I'll help you out. :)

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm kind of torn on this one being great design. I've never gotten to drive one, but did get to sit in one.

It is beautiful. I have to imagine it would drive nicely and be very interesting to have and use. OTOH, as a car for use on the public highway it really is not a good design. Rather than form following function it is more of a function following an impractical form design.

The gull wing doors are the worlds worst idea for a door on a car. For multiple reasons. Then the extra high barrier to entrance and exit is pretty awful ergonomically. Maybe not a big sacrifice once you are in or out, but not great design either.

Now if anyone owning one of these has seen how badly they were duped on the idea, and need to dispose of such an impractical car, just PM me and I'll help you out. :)
Originally it was a problem solver with racing desing at Mercedes, so in this case it was form following function actually.
The fact this model never got to racing and instead rumours claimed Mr. Uhlenhaut used to race it on public highways is another story. :)

And for civil cars, first wiki link says:
"The design is a very practical one in a tight urban parking space. When properly designed and counterbalanced, they require little side-clearance to open (about 27.5 cm, or 11" in the DeLorean)[4] and allow much better entrance/egress than conventional doors."
..so when you had a problem with some civil version, maybe there is some issue with your body anatomy/flexibility.. :p;)

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom