• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dassault RAFALE
Can you get me a ride?

If I hit that big lotto one day, I'd first replace my stack of Adcom amps with a bunch of these from Dan D'Agostino.
I find the design, both external and internal a thing of absolute beauty.
BlackM400Front_1.jpg

Look at the size or that monster power supply!
"With its 5.5-kilowatt power supply feeding nearly 100 output devices, the Relentless Mono Amplifier easily delivers 1,500 watts into 8 ohms—and when connected to a 220-volt or greater AC mains outlet, it doubles its output to 3,000 watts into 4 ohms and 6,000 watts into 2 ohms. This power output is maintained with the same musical composure at full power as it is at 1 watt."

Relentless top open.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you get me a ride?

If I hit that big lotto one day, I'd first replace my stack of Adcom amps with a bunch of these from Dan D'Agostino.
I find the design, both external and internal a thing of absolute beauty.
View attachment 213029
Look at the size or that monster power supply!
"With its 5.5-kilowatt power supply feeding nearly 100 output devices, the Relentless Mono Amplifier easily delivers 1,500 watts into 8 ohms—and when connected to a 220-volt or greater AC mains outlet, it doubles its output to 3,000 watts into 4 ohms and 6,000 watts into 2 ohms. This power output is maintained with the same musical composure at full power as it is at 1 watt."

View attachment 213044
What is the retail on this bad boy? It really ids a thing of beauty. I would put glass tops on them so as to see the inside. :D

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the retail on this bad boy? It really ids a thing of beauty. I would put glass tops on them so as to see the inside. :D
It’s not the cost of the amp that gets you, it’s the upgraded air conditioning and power bills.

This is one of those beauties I would love to enjoy, in someone else’s house.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not the cost of the amp that gets you, it’s the upgraded air conditioning and power bills.

This is one of those beauties I would love to enjoy, in someone else’s house.
I've had a pure class A amp before rated to max 75w@8R with linear output to 2 ohms and it was hot but I live in a cool place most days of the year and it just adds to the heat already being used in the household. But this is like you say a monster amp and may be like just like a resistive heating element in use.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What is the retail on this bad boy?
The Relentless Monoblocks are $295,000 for a pair.
So I'll need 9 monoblocks for my multich rig, that's $1,350,000 total, plus tax. :facepalm:
Who the fu k can afford this shit???

Eurasian

Forum Donor
As a teenager I wished I could afford a full Super Record groupset:

View attachment 212950

And a decent frame to fit it to; maybe something nice, custom made to measure with Columbus or Reynolds 531c tubes. :)

The modern Campag stuff, with it's plastic-y appearance just doesn't appeal:

View attachment 212951

When compared to the stuff from the 80's

View attachment 212952
I bought that Super Record groupo and put it on my 1952 Bob Jackson 58 (ish). Still have it!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... and that's exactly why I stopped riding. Too many maniacs and people being aggressive towards riders. :D
same with mopeds, and any motorized 1, 2 or 3 wheeler in the USA. I quite riding motorcycles because I think a minimum of 50% of the people here never knew what any of the traffic rules where to begin with, much less kept up to date on them. They are clueless as to how & when to use blinkers (and other communications that all of us who started driving in the early 70's all knew (1 flash of the headlights: move over, 2 flash of the headlights (at incoming traffic): police activity in the direction you are going, 3 flash of the headlights (at oncoming traffic): accident or some other hazard in the direction you are going. & hand signals (in case the blinkers are inop:) forget about that. They'll just do what they usually do anyway: not signal at all!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Relentless Monoblocks are $295,000 for a pair.
So I'll need 9 monoblocks for my multich rig, that's $1,350,000 total, plus tax. :facepalm:
Who the fu k can afford this shit???
Knowing myself I am sure I'd press the dealer for an out the door price that didn't include taxes. There is plenty of markup for that in such a product.

There must be a market for it anyway. Like another thread here on video, a fellow kept saying I didn't know the best. In that case he was probably right, but in the end he was referring to a $400,000 projector which requires a dedicated facility to mount it, and a separate rather loud cooling system which must be housed far enough away to not be heard. So a somewhat soundproofed setting. I'd say all of it runs a half million or more minimum and we haven't included the sound part yet. And yet it is mostly sold to private consumers. At least in that case the specs indicate it probably is the finest projector or video display possible currently. Oh, and there is one guy on the AVS forum that has one down near you Sal.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
same with mopeds, and any motorized 1, 2 or 3 wheeler in the USA. I quite riding motorcycles because I think a minimum of 50% of the people here never knew what any of the traffic rules where to begin with, much less kept up to date on them. They are clueless as to how & when to use blinkers (and other communications that all of us who started driving in the early 70's all knew (1 flash of the headlights: move over, 2 flash of the headlights (at incoming traffic): police activity in the direction you are going, 3 flash of the headlights (at oncoming traffic): accident or some other hazard in the direction you are going. & hand signals (in case the blinkers are inop:) forget about that. They'll just do what they usually do anyway: not signal at all!
After one day when I was tucking it downhill on my bicycle at ~50km/h when a pickup truck came up behind me and I could hear the belts and fan of it's cooling system behind me I decided that this is pretty dangerous on the roads. The truck was about <20 feet behind me and then pulled out and passed me pretty close too. That was freaky. Another day a car swerved across the lane in the city and came into my lane and aimed directly for me. I swerved and managed to miss a collision. Add to that a steering failure of the bike where the front wheel turned all the way around and I went over the bars. (The bike shop mechanic did not tighten the locking bolt enough.) So I said screw this. I dislike severe pain and am not getting into a vehicular accident on a bicycle. I would still ride a motorcycle though. I have had much more respect when riding those than a bicycle.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After one day when I was tucking it downhill on my bicycle at ~50km/h when a pickup truck came up behind me and I could hear the belts and fan of it's cooling system behind me I decided that this is pretty dangerous on the roads. The truck was about <20 feet behind me and then pulled out and passed me pretty close too. That was freaky. Another day a car swerved across the lane in the city and came into my lane and aimed directly for me. I swerved and managed to miss a collision. Add to that a steering failure of the bike where the front wheel turned all the way around and I went over the bars. (The bike shop mechanic did not tighten the locking bolt enough.) So I said screw this. I dislike severe pain and am not getting into a vehicular accident on a bicycle. I would still ride a motorcycle though. I have had much more respect when riding those than a bicycle.
One reason I took up Mtn. Biking though I prefer a road bike. I generally restricted where I ride to places that were safe and did loops for longer distances. When young I liked to take long trips on the bike, and with cell phones don't feel safe doing that anymore.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't rode bicycles on public roads since I got my first motorcycle (a new 1971 Honda CL 175) three months before I was legally allowed t ride it on public roads. They changed the law (shortly after I turned 14) from 14 to 15. But, for most places I needed to go, it did not matter. I only needed to cross public roads to get there. That was doable with out breaking the law. I could avoid using the school bus that took an hour to get me to the school that was less than 3 miles from my house by using the Little Honda.
By the time the bus came to my drop off point, the little Honda had gotten me home and I was already out in the boat (we lived on a deep water creek [still do]), out with my friends (who did not have to stay at school for their last class of the day [a study hall], water skiing in my 15 ft. tri-hull with an 80 HP V-4 Johnson. Water skiing 3 times a week for with each guy & gall getting 30-45 minutes of ski time, kept us all in great shape during our high school years.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would still ride a motorcycle though. I have had much more respect when riding those than a bicycle.
I've got no problem riding my motorcycles on the road but you got to be nuts to ride a bicycle there.
Everyone is flying up on you with little concern for your life. Sooner of latter your bound to get clipped.
Not me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Water skiing 3 times a week for with each guy & gall getting 30-45 minutes of ski time, kept us all in great shape during our high school years.
God I miss skiing. Every weekend in the summer for many years I would ride my motorcycle from Chicago to my friends cottage around Kalamazoo Mi. Beautiful small (approx 400 acre) spring feed lake, we would ski from sun up till sundown, sometimes after. LOL My beat-up old body just can't take it any more but I'd give anything to get up for a few more laps around. :(

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't rode bicycles on public roads since I got my first motorcycle (a new 1971 Honda CL 175) three months before I was legally allowed t ride it on public roads. They changed the law (shortly after I turned 14) from 14 to 15. But, for most places I needed to go, it did not matter. I only needed to cross public roads to get there. That was doable with out breaking the law. I could avoid using the school bus that took an hour to get me to the school that was less than 3 miles from my house by using the Little Honda.
By the time the bus came to my drop off point, the little Honda had gotten me home and I was already out in the boat (we lived on a deep water creek [still do]), out with my friends (who did not have to stay at school for their last class of the day [a study hall], water skiing in my 15 ft. tri-hull with an 80 HP V-4 Johnson. Water skiing 3 times a week for with each guy & gall getting 30-45 minutes of ski time, kept us all in great shape during our high school years.
I'm seeing many parallels between your place of upbringing and mine. I lived right beside the Columbia River. Our front gate opened to the river 50 feet away and we had a 12' aluminum boat with 9.9 merc there for use anytime I wanted. I worked from age 11 and when I was 12 I got a job serving alcohol in a very large Italian restaurant that also had a lounge. So I saved up my money and bought a Honda MR175 that I could just barely touch the ground on. I used that motorcycle for commuting within about +/- a 3 mile radius on the backroads and dirt trails to visit people and go to another job I had at a equipment rental place on Saturdays and Sundays when I got older. Water skiing we did on the lakes with the 19' SeaRay but I never got good at one ski stuff. We spent most of our time trolling/fishing and the rest waterskiing when at the lake. I kept in shape doing judo, weightlifting and major gardening/landscaping for my mother on her 2 acre manicured yard that looked like a manicured golf course with fruit trees all over and pretty serious veggie garden. It was a lot of work getting it there to that condition but it got done slowly over the years. I hate gardening now but I would have farm animals if I where to have the place for that. There's something cool about having fenced acreage with ~50 chickens walking around eating the bugs and stuff with geese, turkeys and ducks too. We also had cattle and pigs. Lotsa work to be done. It was a full time job and going to work evenings at the restaurant serving booze was a cakewalk compared to the work I did at home so I loved the job and it payed very well for a 12 year old.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We build this 17.5 Rayson Craft SK boat with a 1957 Chrysler 392 hemi for skiing.
We could pull groups of 5 and 6 up sloemn with it.
Man the neighbors hated us, would always call the Sheriff complaining about the noise. LOL
But he was a kool dude, we'd give him a beer and take him for a ride then he'd leave.
An early B&W pic of it with the single quad carb, and a couple years later with the dual quads.
Good thing really good high octane leaded gas was cheap back then, she was thirsty.
That's me at the wheel in the first and sitting on the bow in the second.
I won't say how many years ago that was. ;)
4.jpg

5.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We build this 17.5 Rayson Craft SK boat with a 1957 Chrysler 392 hemi for skiing.
We could pull groups of 5 and 6 up sloemn with it.
Man the neighbors hated us, would always call the Sheriff complaining about the noise. LOL
But he was a kool dude, we'd give him a beer and take him for a ride then he'd leave.
An early B&W pic of it with the single quad carb, and a couple years later with the dual quads.
Good thing really good high octane leaded gas was cheap back then, she was thirsty.
That's me at the wheel in the first and sitting on the bow in the second.
I won't say how many years ago that was. ;)
View attachment 213082
View attachment 213083
Wonderful ride that boat is. That big block looks mean!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm seeing many parallels between your place of upbringing and mine. I lived right beside the Columbia River. Our front gate opened to the river 50 feet away and we had a 12' aluminum boat with 9.9 merc there for use anytime I wanted. I worked from age 11 and when I was 12 I got a job serving alcohol in a very large Italian restaurant that also had a lounge. So I saved up my money and bought a Honda MR175 that I could just barely touch the ground on. I used that motorcycle for commuting within about +/- a 3 mile radius on the backroads and dirt trails to visit people and go to another job I had at a equipment rental place on Saturdays and Sundays when I got older. Water skiing we did on the lakes with the 19' SeaRay but I never got good at one ski stuff. We spent most of our time trolling/fishing and the rest waterskiing when at the lake. I kept in shape doing judo, weightlifting and major gardening/landscaping for my mother on her 2 acre manicured yard that looked like a manicured golf course with fruit trees all over and pretty serious veggie garden. It was a lot of work getting it there to that condition but it got done slowly over the years. I hate gardening now but I would have farm animals if I where to have the place for that. There's something cool about having fenced acreage with ~50 chickens walking around eating the bugs and stuff with geese, turkeys and ducks too. We also had cattle and pigs. Lotsa work to be done. It was a full time job and going to work evenings at the restaurant serving booze was a cakewalk compared to the work I did at home so I loved the job and it payed very well for a 12 year old.
I also had a smaller boat. The first one was when I was 4 (we lived in an above the garage apt. behind the owners of the land on the water. They gave us access to a 10 or so ft. marine plywood boat that we painted NAVY gray & my father bought a new 1963 Evinrude 5 & 1/2 for it. Initially I was only allowed to row the boat about a 1/4 mile each way until I learned the tides. Then I was allowed to use the motor as long as I did not go out of site from the dock. By the time we built our own house on a tributary of that creek (we moved in when I was 8, my father had upgraded us to an 11 ft tri-hull with a small casting platform on the bow & a Mercury 9.8 Then we added to our fleet a Sunfish sailboat for my mother and the Bonito Tri-hull with the Johnson 80 (which became my ski-boat). There were various other boats that spent a few years here, one custom built wood one (longer & narrow, designed for heavy seas [even though it only had a 40 Johnson {but it was inside the stern}]). & I went through a series of motorcycles, the one I mentioned before was my first (most where Honda's, a 71 or 72 SL350, a 64 305 Dream, two 550's, a Kawasaki 440 (the low seat height was excellent for teaching my girlfriends how to ride), A mid 70's Harley XR-750 MASH UP of stuff that made for a quick & interesting ride, and a 81 Honda 750. I still hanker for a CL 450 frame with a CB 500 (twin, same as the 450) engine. The CL's were the "Scramblers" at the time. High pipes, decent street manners & fun fire road riding when equipped with knobbie's.
What I want now: (a Smoky Mountain Scrambler []you know, a useful Harley-Davidson)

scramble2.jpg
scramble5555.jpg
scramble25.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also had a smaller boat. The first one was when I was 4 (we lived in an above the garage apt. behind the owners of the land on the water. They gave us access to a 10 or so ft. marine plywood boat that we painted NAVY gray & my father bought a new 1963 Evinrude 5 & 1/2 for it. Initially I was only allowed to row the boat about a 1/4 mile each way until I learned the tides. Then I was allowed to use the motor as long as I did not go out of site from the dock. By the time we built our own house on a tributary of that creek (we moved in when I was 8, my father had upgraded us to an 11 ft tri-hull with a small casting platform on the bow & a Mercury 9.8 Then we added to our fleet a Sunfish sailboat for my mother and the Bonito Tri-hull with the Johnson 80 (which became my ski-boat). There were various other boats that spent a few years here, one custom built wood one (longer & narrow, designed for heavy seas [even though it only had a 40 Johnson {but it was inside the stern}]). & I went through a series of motorcycles, the one I mentioned before was my first (most where Honda's, a 71 or 72 SL350, a 64 305 Dream, two 550's, a Kawasaki 440 (the low seat height was excellent for teaching my girlfriends how to ride), A mid 70's Harley XR-750 MASH UP of stuff that made for a quick & interesting ride, and a 81 Honda 750. I still hanker for a CL 450 frame with a CB 500 (twin, same as the 450) engine. The CL's were the "Scramblers" at the time. High pipes, decent street manners & fun fire road riding when equipped with knobbie's.
What I want now: (a Smoky Mountain Scrambler []you know, a useful Harley-Davidson)

scramble2.jpg
scramble5555.jpg
scramble25.jpg
Wowzerz! I've never seen that Harley model before. Big beefy tires, lotsa torque, what appears to be a very low gearing from the looks of those sprockets, suspension and a vintage look. What's not to like...lol

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wowzerz! I've never seen that Harley model before. Big beefy tires, lotsa torque, what appears to be a very low gearing from the looks of those sprockets, suspension and a vintage look. What's not to like...lol
As far as I know: available only through: Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson.
Check out their Scrambler ride video (Produced by Hot Bikes).

Top Bottom