• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dassault RAFALE

raf3.jpg
raf4.jpg
raf6.jpg

raf5.jpg
raf2.jpg

Raf1.jpg

34317 (4).jpg

TankTop

Unfortunately for the pilot of the XP-79 he died on the first flight, hit by the plane as he bailed out. But, the flying wing is an amazing design.

Latest iteration, B-21 Spirit which I can't tell from the original B-2 -

A942%20(1).jpg

1341px-B-2_first_flight_071201-F-9999J-034.jpg
This are both B-2’s, the B-21’s tail is a single point instead of saw tooth three point. It was actually the original design for the B-2 but late in development the decision was made for better low level maneuverability. There will probably be many other subtle differences but I doubt the public will see a B-21 for several years.

Zoomer

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The bicycle drivetrain:

1655368141718.png

Not this one specifically, although it is very nice, but the system of a roller chain, sprockets and a derailleur mechanism, which have been around for over a century now.

Alternatives exist, rubber belts instead of chains and hub gears instead of derailleurs, they have some advantages, but are usually heavier, less efficient and more expensive.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
As a teenager I wished I could afford a full Super Record groupset:

1655369175662.png

And a decent frame to fit it to; maybe something nice, custom made to measure with Columbus or Reynolds 531c tubes. :)

The modern Campag stuff, with it's plastic-y appearance just doesn't appeal:

1655369362172.png

When compared to the stuff from the 80's

1655369492333.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 212950

And a decent frame to fit it to; maybe something nice, custom made to measure with Columbus or Reynolds 531c tubes. :)

View attachment 212951

View attachment 212952
I sort of agree, but much of the plastic is carbon fiber, and even the plastic is not cheap plastic. I have it in a frame of part titanium and part carbon fiber. And I have the Super Record 11 from a few years back so all of it is carbon fiber or titanium.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's a design that has me torn... I want to love it... but yet... BMW CE 04 -- There's a novelty aspect to it that I apreciate, but something is not... quite... there.

1655383804648.png

Here's another design that does this to me... It's really good... but yet somehow... I'm left wanting - Honda E

1655384138207.png

The above is in production, but I don't think the sports coupe is going beyond prototype... It is, however, a really nice design.

1655384238490.png

Here's the ass end, which I think is really well done

1655384284855.png

and the best perspective

1655384317224.png

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 212950

View attachment 212951

View attachment 212952
What also doesn't appeal is the sharp edge on the web between the crank arm and the chainring spider, which is a stress riser that will eventually root a crack and start a fatigue failure process. That was a true design flaw in the Campy cranks. I have them on the bike I rode in college, but I don't put big miles on them and I keep an eye out for that spot.

Later designs that incorporate one of the spider arms into the crank and provide a nice radius on those edges are far stronger and more durable without any additional weight.

And the Campy-style headset bearings are, like all headset bearings that use balls, subject to fore-and-aft vibrations that pump out the lubricant and then dig holes in the races. Stronglight's Delta was the true solution--tapered roller bearings.

But there's just nothing that captures the lust factor of a high-end groupset from back when we were poor college students.

IMG_6643-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6653-dsqz.JPG

Rick "Campy NR side-pull brakes are the most beautiful ever" Denney

egellings

Major Contributor
I have a nice bike with the full Campy setup. Traffic's gotten so heavy that I can't really safely ride the bike anymore, unless I'm feeling suicidal, which currently I am not.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a nice bike with the full Campy setup. Traffic's gotten so heavy that I can't really safely ride the bike anymore, unless I'm feeling suicidal, which currently I am not.
... and that's exactly why I stopped riding. Too many maniacs and people being aggressive towards riders. :D

mglobe

Forum Donor
What also doesn't appeal is the sharp edge on the web between the crank arm and the chainring spider, which is a stress riser that will eventually root a crack and start a fatigue failure process. That was a true design flaw in the Campy cranks. I have them on the bike I rode in college, but I don't put big miles on them and I keep an eye out for that spot.

Later designs that incorporate one of the spider arms into the crank and provide a nice radius on those edges are far stronger and more durable without any additional weight.

And the Campy-style headset bearings are, like all headset bearings that use balls, subject to fore-and-aft vibrations that pump out the lubricant and then dig holes in the races. Stronglight's Delta was the true solution--tapered roller bearings.

But there's just nothing that captures the lust factor of a high-end groupset from back when we were poor college students.

IMG_6643-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6653-dsqz.JPG

Rick "Campy NR side-pull brakes are the most beautiful ever" Denney
I still have my full Campy Frejus from my teenage years. It's probably the only thing I have had longer than my Apt pre.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    733.4 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom