• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

egellings

Major Contributor
I like that HP-35 arithmetic, called RPN or stack arithmetic. Early Teradyne test equipment & systems used that, and that's how I got familiarized with it. So I moved right in and felt at home on the HP-35.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The first calculator I was given to use for a part time job was an early HP with RPN. The physics professor for whom I worked loved it. I never did take a liking to it. I did use it and could use it just fine. A year or so later when someone handed me a TI with its algebraic input I was like, "okay, this is how a calculator should work!" Now prior to all that I had used a slide rule for a decade or so.

In any case, you can get RPN calculator apps for phones if that is the kind of input you prefer.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just the opposite. After the buttons failed (again!) in my TI-59 programmable calculator, I bought an HP-11C while I was in grad school. That was a revelation—now I grumble every time I’m forced to use an algebraic calculator. RPN is so much faster.

My 11C still works after 40 years—the buttons never failed on it the way the routinely did on TI’s. And I say that as a confirmed Texas boy not unfamiliar with the little semiconductor plant in Richardson.

Rick “who also has an HP-11C app on his iPhone” Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RPN is so much faster.
When I picked up the proper method for inputting the Pythagorean method for solving parallel resister circuits and used RPN input for that I was a very happy camper. I was hooked and used it for all studies in electronics thereafter. It's way easier with RPN and fast compared to everybody else in my class(s). I was blowing everybody away with the speed and they where miffed because they thought I was nutZ for using a HP11C RPN calc when the instructor used a standard edition Ti and advised he me that I was on my own regarding inputting figures and solving formulas on the HP11C because he did not do RPN. Some of the advanced operations where much faster than the other calcs too including the Ti's. Unfortunately in recent years I was studying for a challenge exam for the Instrumentation Technician program and I was not allowed to use a RPN. They had no idea what RPN is and flat out gave me 2 models of blah very cheap calculators that where permitted. What garbage. Now many courses and examinations only allow specific models and those do not include HP RPN's. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I picked up the proper method for inputting the Pythagorean method for solving parallel resister circuits and used RPN input for that I was a very happy camper. I was hooked and used it for all studies in electronics thereafter. It's way easier with RPN and fast compared to everybody else in my class(s). I was blowing everybody away with the speed and they where miffed because they thought I was nutZ for using a HP11C RPN calc when the instructor used a standard edition Ti and advised he me that I was on my own regarding inputting figures and solving formulas on the HP11C because he did not do RPN. Some of the advanced operations where much faster than the other calcs too including the Ti's. Unfortunately in recent years I was studying for a challenge exam for the Instrumentation Technician program and I was not allowed to use a RPN. They had no idea what RPN is and flat out gave me 2 models of blah very cheap calculators that where permitted. What garbage. Now many courses and examinations only allow specific models and those do not include HP RPN's. :facepalm:
I've not heard of this. Why would they not let you use whatever you wished to use? What's this issue if you don't?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not heard of this. Why would they not let you use whatever you wished to use? What's this issue if you don't?
They are now regulating the calc models to eliminate programmable calcs and ones with memory that can store formulas is one reason. Another reason is the instructors/teachers want a standardized calc that everybody uses so they can give examples and help students operate the calc model that everybody is familiar with. I had to wait for about 15 minutes when I initially started studying electronics while they decided if they would allow me to go RPN or not. So they asked if I was sure I wanted to do this and if I can handle not receiving help with RPN and the calc operations and I said I'm good to go! I had the manual with me and it was pretty comprehensive so I dove in blindly and it worked out... lol ... That was before they decided to totally regulate calc models.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
AVvXsEgOgi5_bPtko2h486sUb9NWauWfzyjX8pa5tXV2B2w6y4NDzwx9Qqh7wkJOjc4jOtRNkcvFtXEWv4-N9NKF2TAMqV-P8yuvVoOpStfdR_q6L6HSYiY_JKvnZmiDKVOPKrYcsqgt6kWLCoPP1-HWKuHbezr2U76HLHMaDtOXi01YhEZCVgvyrYwFNAl-_g=s1280

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just saved that image because that was my first receiver as a teen. I bought it in 1970 from Pacific Stereo in San Francisco along with a Garrard turntable and Quadraflex speakers. My brother still uses it in the maintenance shop at the golf course that he manages. I would listen to SF's first underground radio station KMPX. Thanks Mr. Cramden :)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still deciding what to make of this Eton FRX2 solar/crank radio/flashlight. Because while some design elements including the black triangles adjacent to the tuning knob are simply stylistic flourishes, this is a 25 USD product which seems to work very decently. This latest iteration replaces a mediocre analog AM/FM/VHF tuner with modern DSP, and the result is good sensitivity and selectivity, while the controls are pared back to their essentials.

Not sure what to make of it's reliance on a shrinkwrapped trio of 1/2AA NiMH cells which aren't exactly household items, but replacements can be had readily enough. Other competing radios can also take AA cells or use 18650 Li-Ion power, but all have their possible downsides.

_DSC1193.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
I find it interesting that every Linn product I've seen has a "K" in its name, such as Linn Sondek, as an example. What's with the K?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe because Gaelic didn't have the letter K, and Ivor was trying to overkompensate?

Edited:after mhardy6647's comment.

Last edited:

Habu

Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

6880726D-148F-47C8-AEF0-EEA2E8E6B84F.jpeg
E7476242-2341-4E4F-B532-69B8CB563BE5.jpeg

Last edited:

Habu

Herman Miller Aeron Chair and Bruce Burdick Desk

89FFA7E5-30C5-4C41-B26D-4FBD19361982.jpeg
F88C4D3C-8AF4-491F-822F-9596C30859A4.jpeg

Last edited: