• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are your digital media sources previously and currently ?

What are your digital media sources ?

• Total voters

auronthas

Regrouping options with similar poll question about digital media source you are listening to ... previously and currently. Thanks for voting.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
HDRadio (broadcast) choice missing

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Checked off as many as I could, but covered most of them....not that it's that hard to deal with the digital signal....

OP
A

auronthas

Checked off as many as I could, but covered most of them....not that it's that hard to deal with the digital signal....
2-channel digital audio signal is about saturated, next will be multi-channel digital audio surround system for wide and "realistic" soundstage

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OTOH it's not really soundstage unless mixed/mastered to that effect...if the material being compared is even the same mix/mastering.....

OP
A

auronthas

Good for you. Do we have a lot of digital media sources recorded in multi-channel like SA-CD surround ? Hope to see more multi-channel digital media...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good for you. Do we have a lot of digital media sources recorded in multi-channel like SA-CD surround ? Hope to see more multi-channel digital media...
Outside of discs ? No, not much multich outside of a handful of multich dsd files. I'd love to see more multich content for sure....but not really expecting it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Do we have a lot of digital media sources recorded in multi-channel like SA-CD surround ? Hope to see more multi-channel digital media...
Outside of discs ? No, not much multich outside of a handful of multich dsd files. I'd love to see more multich content for sure....but not really expecting it.
Things are changing. There will be consequences to the rise of Atmos (and dts-x and Auro3D) as they have more industry support targeting the middle of the mass market. So far, I've accumulated thousands.

OP
A

auronthas

Things are changing. There will be consequences to the rise of Atmos (and dts-x and Auro3D) as they have more industry support targeting the middle of the mass market. So far, I've accumulated thousands.
Looking forward this new trend in home audio surround system. I believe Atmos main target is still cinema surround sound.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Internet radio

"What are your digital media sources previously and currently ?"

You asked, and created a poll.

You don't need internet for broadcast digital

1671636038011.png

"WMNF broadcasts four FM HD Radio channels:

HD-1 simulcasts the main WMNF (analog) signal.
HD-2 new Indie music and music shows featuring new releases.
HD-3 The Source, which airs news, public affairs, and arts programming.
HD-4 Soul School featuring classic soul, R&B, blues, reggae and rap."

Community supported non-commercial public radio.

And believe, me, they play plenty of stuff with No Commercial Potential.

sany0035.jpg

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Looking forward this new trend in home audio surround system. I believe Atmos main target is still cinema surround sound.
There is surprising activity with Atmos audio/music: downloads, Apple Music, on BD-As and concert websites such Berlin's Digital Concert Hall. But I follow only the classical rep.

OP
A

auronthas

Agree, I will follow too on classical or a live concert as they provide the bigger soundstage and wide frequency among music instruments, that's the best auditioning on 3D surround system.

As for studio recording, 2-channel sound system is good enough IMO.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the mastering is done correctly with SACD, DVD-A, or Bluray Pure Audio, I always prefer the multichannel layer over the stereo layer. Unbeatable separation of instruments and gigantic sound field.

Saying that, I can't stand simulated multichannel sound fields of Dolby, DTS, etc.. I prefer the stereo layer of a CD always over that crap.
I just dipped my multi-channel toe in again after an almost twenty year absence. I jumped in early and was disappointed.

As before it is definitely software dependent and most of the surround mixes I have listened to annoy me, but the best ones are very, very good. I won't wait another twenty years before giving it another go. :)

Nate29

Lately I have been messing around with all the streaming services (this is what I prefer as a source).

I started with Spotify as I have been using it for years. The only thing that it lacks is lossless and lately I've been itching to just mess around with that.

I tried Qobuz+Roon and Apple Music.

Qobuz and Roon is nice if you want ease of implementation and want some fancy things like PEQ. Roon makes it very easy to do this and it's fun to mess around. Comparing to spotify - you'd need some native dsp for your endpoint (volumio via camiladsp, apo on windows, hosting au on mac, minidsp, etcs). But with DSP of any kind I suppose you give up bit perfect transfer to you DAC if you care about any of that. However, Qobuz is still very limited on content. Half of the music I try to reach for couldn't be found on Qobuz comparing to Spotify. Pricey option because you have to pay for both Qobuz & Roon.

Apple Music - I feel like there's a lot of potential here, the libary is very similar to spoitfy and it comes with most things lossless. I also notice that Apple might have more remastered album comparing to Spotify counterpart. Multiple device and Connect-like feature is a bit less polished on Apple Music comparing to Spotify. Spotify Connect is superior to Apple Itune Remote Control. You have to jump through many hoops to get bitperfect working to your DAC (only iphone/ipad and/or mac+losslesss switcher app). Need to invest in some apple product (ipad/iphone/mac). I found windows implementation doesn't work well because it doesn't support lossless. Without lossles, mind as well just use spotify.

Overall, I kept going back to Spotify because of how easy it is to use. I can't seem to shake off how easy and nice Spoitfy Connect is and it's the most important feature to me for a comfortable listening session. Beside not having lossless, I personally feel like Spotify HQ stands above other services. And if you can convince yourself to ignore lossless audio then Spotify is the clear winner right now.

Just my 2cent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom