• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

bequietjk

@suttondesign wow you're not kidding.

Alienation on the PROTO album i'm digging into. I would LOVE to hear this track on some cans with massive soundstage/imaging.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Although I understand the wording considering the forum... that seems backwards to me. Listening to the music rather than the gear is the way it's supposed to be. Although I'm not one of them, I envy the people that can still thoroughly enjoy music played through a clock radio or tiny BT speaker.

Should be, but I'm always nervous posting a selection on an "audiophile" forum due to all the folk picking apart the technical aspects of the recording without regard for the music. Not really worried about that here, mind you. The comment was more to say I don't know if this is a so-called "demo" CD; to me, it's just great music by an excellent band led by a friend of mine (from the trumpet forum I help moderate).

digicidal

Major Contributor
@DonH56 I totally understand, actually from both sides. My preferred genre has an extreme dearth of well mixed, dynamic recordings. Of the 100s of albums I regularly listen to, only 2-3 would I select to demo gear I was considering. At the same time - with the exception of Steely Dan - almost nothing I use as demo tracks is ever something I grab to just enjoy. I would hope there wouldn't be much technical criticism on a "what are we listening to now" thread...

I'm not a huge fan of brass (sorry), but I still really enjoyed what I heard - especially in "How 'Bout That" and "Funk Heap". Was listening to the compressed samples as well, but it seemed well recorded also - at least to my non-engineer ears.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Currently testing a pair of P701 (Hypex nc1200) amps.

1563362847261.png

digicidal

Major Contributor

Andolink

Not only is the music gorgeous but you'll be using these recordings to set up and tweak your gear:

image.jpg

3760127221623.jpg

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor

Top Bottom