• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

BillH

Forum Donor
I've been mesmerized by Vic Chesnutt for a long time and recently found this.
If anyone has live recordings - I'd love more...
He's a bit of an "acquired" taste

Last edited:

Theo

I always come back to this. It is my most viewed youtube video.
Saw him play in 1984 or 85. So impressive and inspiring... He left us too soon! And if you like M. Hedges you should enjoy this:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Delightful soundtrack to the HBO series, Westworld by Ramin Djawadi/Czech Film Orchestra:

View attachment 20735

Tidal stream.

Ramin has done some incredible work for Person of Interest and Game of Thrones, but Westworld might actually be his best.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I’ve been enjoying my free trial of Spotify a lot, and this album from last year has been a great discovery. I’ve heard sonata 2 before, but never sonata 1, which is even better!
I liked this so much I’m considering getting it on CD, partly to have the surety of a physical copy, partly to pay the artist more than a couple of pennies.

Djsedaw

I’ve been enjoying my free trial of Spotify a lot, and this album from last year has been a great discovery. I’ve heard sonata 2 before, but never sonata 1, which is even better!
I liked this so much I’m considering getting it on CD, partly to have the surety of a physical copy, partly to pay the artist more than a couple of pennies.

ah fantastic!, thanks will have a look for this cd

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A Humdrum Star by GoGo Penguin:

1548479511494.png

As indicated, MQA stream from Tidal.

Lossy compression does not do justice to this track but just to give you a flavor of it:

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Delightful soundtrack to the HBO series, Westworld by Ramin Djawadi/Czech Film Orchestra: ...

Thank you. Nice arrangement. There were quite a few such piano/orchestral interpretations of rock tracks in Westworld. I especially like this one:

He re-interpreted it for Season 2:

wadec22

Thank you. Nice arrangement. There were quite a few such piano/orchestral interpretations of rock tracks in Westworld. I especially like this one:

He re-interpreted it for Season 2:

this is outstanding

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wolf Alice

cockney rebel

and lastly Sena Dagadu , I like the sound

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The organ sonata of Julius Reubke performed by Jean Guillou on Dorian records (ripped from my CD to Flac). A bit of a controversial one, I know plenty hate this recording and dismiss it as a self indulgence of Guillou. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the only Reubke organ sonata recording to own but I find it to be quite compelling.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The organ sonata of Julius Reubke performed by Jean Guillou on Dorian records (ripped from my CD to Flac). A bit of a controversial one, I know plenty hate this recording and dismiss it as a self indulgence of Guillou. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the only Reubke organ sonata recording to own but I find it to be quite compelling.
Today, I got a notice of Jean Guillou' passing.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today, I got a notice of Jean Guillou' passing.

Not a post to like, but thank you for this sad news. He was a rather unique organist who left his own stamp on performances and could never be mistaken for other organists. Love his performances or loathe them, he left an impression.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been a major fan of Rick Wakeman forever.. I really love having Spotify streaming, I put together a Playlist of Rick's solo piano "Air" recordings. A trilogy of work from 1986 to 1990, three great compositions of his writing genius.
County Airs 1986, Sea Airs 1989, Night Airs 1990

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
James Blood Ulmer Live Experience - Crying (James Blood Ulmer)
From the album "Live at the Bayerischer Hof" (1994)
Label: In+Out Records

Crying is simply a wonderful live recording by James Ulmer where the atmosphere flows out of the speakers. It’s an extremely dynamic recording and especially the rhythm section with the drums and the bass guitar stands out very precisely. It’s an example of a live recording with dynamics and clarity as keywords.

james-blood-ulmer-cover.jpg

Top Bottom