• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From the talented Singaporean singer, Kit Chan:

1536891504688.png

Can't find previews of it on youtube. Here it is in itunes (check out track 8): https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/陳潔儀kit-chan-1994年-2004年作品精選集/1069300507

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Beethoven symphony 9, the old Nikolaus Harnoncourt/Chamber Orchestra of Europe recording for Teldec, ripped to FLAC and listening on my smart phone and T5p's, wonderful.

Ooooh.....I haven't heard that one.

How would you compare it to Solti or Karajan?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.mixcloud.com/Snarf/memory-lane-jazz-vibes/

Original Tracks are converted in to a FLAC 24bit 48khz download file. Set is not beat matched, FX is not used. Autogain is used to level output.
Mid, High en Lows are set to neutral. Software used Traktor Pro hardware Allen & Heath Xone 4D (DAC AK4358 8CH), IMF Compact II Monitors.
Enjoy.

If you like a track please support the artist original work.

Tracklist:

Ahmad jamal - Saturday Morning
Joe Sampel - Paintings
Chet baker - Love for Sale
Maceo Parker - Over The Rainbow
Cory Henry - He Has Made Me Glad (I Will Enter His Gates)
Scott Groove - If you want me to stay
Miles Davis - Mr. Pastorius
Charles Mingus - Charles Mingus Duke Ellington's Sound of Love
Chet Baker - Inaá
Ahmad jamal - Time for Love
Chet Baker - Touch Her Soft Lips And Part
Frank Sinatra - I've Got a Crush on You
Donald Fagen - On The Dunes
Cory Henry - Precious Lord

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man mis here (new) music.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooooh.....I haven't heard that one.

How would you compare it to Solti or Karajan?

That's an interesting question. I don't have any Solti Beethoven symphonies so cannot say but I have three Karajan cycles of which my favourite is the middle one from the ;ate 70's.

If I compare Harnoncourt with that Karajan set it's difficult to say I prefer one or the other. They're different but each in their own way is excellent. At times the playing of the BPO is slightly ahead and I think Karajan is more consistent, but there Harnoncourt is perhaps more interesting and offers insights that I've never heard from other recordings. The recorded quality of the Harnoncourt set is better. Harnoncourt tends to take quite a deliberate pace which is perhaps nearer Bohm than Karajan.

Horses for courses and I'm happy to have both. That said, for the 6th I still like Bohm, and for the 5th and 7th Carlos Kleiber.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony #7, “Leningrad” - Mariss Jansons, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra - RCO Live SACD

I heard this massive, inspiring symphony live last season with the Philadelphia Orchestra under Yannick Nezet-Sequin. It was truly awesome and led me much deeper into the music itself than I had ever been before. Then, last Sunday, there was a replay of that concert on local FM radio (WRTI). I did not hear it all, but I was again so entranced by the brilliance of the music. So, a few nights later, I played this recording from one of my very favorite labels, in Mch, of course.

I was not disappointed. The performance was stunning, the orchestra is a world treasure, and the sound on this label is consistently very top tier. I was very deeply moved by it.

Composition was begun by Shostakovich during his residency there at the beginning of the terrifying 900-day siege by the Nazis. Fortunately, he, as a VIP, was quickly evacuated early to complete it in safer environs. It was premiered in the West via a microfilm copy of the score, but also frequently performed in Russia during the war as an inspirational propaganda piece. Possibly as a result, the symphony fell out of favor among Western music critics post-war compared to the composer’s other compositions.

But, hopefully, it is back to its rightful place as one of Shostakovich’s very greatest compositions. It continues to haunt me. It is a work of inspired genius. And, this recording serves it extremely well. Probably, I will give it another listen very soon, though perhaps a different version.

Maestro Shostakovich is definitely on my top-10 list of greatest composers ever.

esm

Forum Donor
So this won't be everyone's cup of tea (I find Aphex Twin to be an acquired taste), but this just released today:
Full Collapse EP playlist

Weirdest thing is that my Alan Parsons Project "Eye In The Sky" blu-ray also just arrived today, so this is going to be a day of musical contrasts for me.
Full Eye in the Sky playlist

Wombat

Master Contributor
A little bit of old Aussie rock-blues:

Guermantes

Julian Bream plays Villa-Lobos
In the coming weeks, I'll be learning Prelude No.4 so there will be a lot of repeated listenings . . .
folder.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom