• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Top comment says
A real gem, and don't get me wrong when I say that it seems I waited for 30 years for something with same depth as the work of Suzanne Vega
I never thought about it this way, but that actually makes complete sense. The rest of the album isn't like that but still a nice fit for a warm summer's day like today.

Want more like this one? Maybe try these:
(pack of tissues on stanfby may be advisable)

Katji

Major Contributor

DJ Screw – June 27th​

The famous 35-minute freestyle session for Demo's birthday. 1996.
HOUSTON
"chopped and screwed"

A History of Chopped and Screwed in Ten Tracks https://ra.co/features/4040
DJ Screw's slow, psychedelic DJ and production style has majorly influenced electronic music, R&B and pop.

"You heard it first in the streets, and it was heavy," writes Lance Scott Walker in DJ Screw: A Life in Slow Revolution. "It was enchanting. It was mystical. It made Houston feel different from anywhere else on the planet. By the mid-1990s, you couldn't open a window in the big, hot city without hearing a car drive by playing slowed down hip-hop. You still can't."

In the swampy, sprawling streets of Houston, Texas, DJ Screw feels larger than life. His mixtapes of glacially paced hip-hop and R&B, heavily effected and recorded on the fly, feel like the perfect accompaniments to the city's thick, humid air, exhausting heat and vibrant car culture. Cuts from his mixes (which number well over 300) are frequently passed between friends, usually in the form of low-bitrate YouTube links or, if you're lucky, on cassettes or CDs from Screwed Up Records & Tapes, which exclusively sells his music. The DJ style he created, chopped and screwed, remains the city's most notable contribution to hip-hop, if not music in general.

Any introduction to DJ Screw should begin with his most far-reaching and arguably most important mixtape, June 27th. Like much of the late artist's output, it mostly features slowed-down renditions of West Coast hip-hop re-recorded in his home studio, but its title track is a different animal altogether. "On the second side of that cassette is a song called 'June 27th' that clocks in at over 35 minutes and features more than a half dozen rappers freestyling and singing over a Kriss Kross beat produced by Jermaine Dupri that Screw just kept spinning while the folks in the room with him passed the mic," said Walker. Heavy, experimental and featuring a roster of rappers from his own Screwed Up Click (S.U.C. for short), the track is a blueprint for Screw's methodology. "He brought in sounds and put his imprint on them while at the same time making space for the people around him to express themselves through their freestyles," Walker continued. "That's inclusive, and generous."
In Houston, its cultural impact can't be overstated—June 27th is a recognised holiday.

1658830343429.png

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor

dekmantel Selectors Podcast 028 - DJ Python​

Each year, we ask a few artists from the Dekmantel Selectors line-up to deliver a mix in anticipation of the new edition. Who could be a better fit than DJ Python to re-initiate this tradition?

Even before Dulce Compañia, which introduced the Python alias to the world, Brian Piñeyro has been providing a wide array of unique sounds to those who care to listen. To be fair, he makes it hard not to care, and also to describe his ambling, dembow-inspired rhythms as something other than ‘deep reggaeton’. But if Piñeyro has taught us one thing, it is that music is just moods flowing into one another. Sometimes, the mood is a percussive therapy session, and sometimes it warps drone-driven electronica, tingly synths, and steely dancehall.

It is unsurprising that this mix is all about the mood too. A 60-minute journey across genuinely emotive songs and honeyed hymns. In his words, it’s just about “enjoying the time with people around you, whatever shape the people or the time may take”. When listening to this mix, keep in mind DJ Python’s approach to making soup: you can only really do it well if you allow yourself to move beyond the recipe. The only thing left to do is let go and get locked in.

Connie Francis - Malaguena
Being - Cue Television Personalities - She's Never Read My Poems
Ma Fruits - Cold Night in Manchester
Nino Rota - O Venezia, Venaga, Venusia
Milky - Mystery Of Love
Angelika Köhlermann - If I Want, I Wish
Blsssom Dearie - I like you, you're nice
Kendra Smith - waiting in the rain
Yoko Ono - i have a woman jnside my soul
Billy Mackenzie - blue it is

++

https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl%2Fselectors-podcast-028-dj-python

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Excellent sounding YouTube video of Tiny Desk w/ Smif 'n Wessun. Trigger advisory: Language
That gives me a good idea, an idea for my idea....so now it's a double-barrelled idea.

...Anyway, Tiny Desk is great. Good concept and it's always well recorded.

Katji

Major Contributor
How many of you here like Wishbone Ash?
I remember. ...I think there was a Flying V guitar...

...PS: ok, I remember the song, I remember that guitar riff...

I wonder how the brain/mind stores sounds and smell. ...Some sort of pattern data is stored.

Last edited:
Top Bottom